Do locking tuners really help with tuning stability?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guppie, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Coiled

Coiled Member

I’m open minded and will try it next string change just to see how much time it saves and how it works. I guess I’ve been changing strings so long I have a system that really works for me and I don’t mind doing it. (Creature of habit)

Off topic, if I came in a little too hard with my opinions here and offended anyone, my apologies. After a long day at work I come here for fun and enjoying the company of fellow guitar players. Anything negative I stay away from. I also do not insult people personally on forums like this. I’m here to make friends not enemies.

To the person that tossed out insults my way, you are the first to be added to my ignore list. It’s a shame, you might have had good things to say but I’ll never see them. We aren’t talking politics or religion here, we are talking about locking tuners.

carouzal, _pete_ and Average Joe like this.
  2. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

Yep, The G and The Low E are the loosest strings so they get hung up by the friction the worst. No one really bends the low E a lot so the G string is really the measure of a trem's stability.

I have locking tuners on a FR guitar with a tusq nut. It stays pretty tight but it's not perfect. I just put it together so I haven't gone deep on stability yet, I'm thinking a touch of lube in the nut should get the lion's share of what's left, and it's already quite good.

rockon1 likes this.
  3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

If your saddle mod is effective it's down to the nut and the tuners.
    Someday somebody clever will find a perfect way to do nuts.

rockon1 likes this.
  4. haslar

haslar Member

you break strings with your *tuners*?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Staggered locking tuners on the way. Thought the fender roller nut was pretty low friction?
    Anyways I have reservations. Even with locking tuners, zero nut issues and locking saddles. The locking saddles arent really locked- at least not in place. Thats where a Floyd non fine tuner bridge has the bases covered .
    Was thinking if Wilkinson could somehow add a string locking feature to their bridge that locks down the saddles that would be the way to go.

6. BMW-KTM

BMW-KTM Member

90% of Fender Custom Shop guitars are relics. A guitar built to look like one from an era before locking tuners would obviously not have locking tuners.

I have lockers on 3 of my guitars, the oldest a 1998 model which I bought new and I have never once had a string break at the post.

Fender disagrees with you.
    Click the link below.

Fat Finger

7. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.. My comment is in perfect harmony with Fender's statement.. "Clamp the Fatfinger™ sustain enhancer on to the headstock of any guitar or other stringed instrument. The Fatfinger™ adds mass to the weak end of the instrument. . . "

The addition of the Tuning Keys with increased mass does exactly the same thing..

"the increased mass at the headstock presents additional dynamic resistance to the vibrating string's ability to make the neck vibrate." is the how the sustain is improved.. it is a function of applied Physics.. It is an application of Newtonian Laws..

r

COYS, BMW-KTM and rockon1 like this.
  8. Tone_Terrific

Did you catch that thread a while back where Suhr, with Pete Thorn, had developed just such a bridge, along with Gotoh, I think?

rockon1 likes this.
  9. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

I have roughly 12 electric guitars. Two have locking tuners, none have tuning problems. My American Pro Strat has non-locking tuners, and a floating trem, and is probably the most tuning-stable guitar I own. And I'm not gentle with the trem. Locking tuners make for faster string changes, but that's really the only advantage I've seen.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thought that was just the locking saddles. If they actually do have one that clamps the string AND holds the saddle in place it would be equivalent to a floyd.

Update: This? Yeah saddles can still move around.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  11. Mark@ToneShield

Mark@ToneShield Gold Supporting Member

I like locking tuners for the easier string changes but they don't add to tuning stability.

12. ozraves

ozraves Member

For me, locking tuners mean faster string changes and strings seemingly stretching faster to be able to stay in tune after install. If you like those two things (and I do), then go for it.

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

OK just installed locking tuners and removed string trees- MUCH better tremolo stability. Zero winds around the posts and no trees! Not perfect but much improved. Zero doubt in my mind now. If your using a trem aggressively staggered lockers are the way to go. Before it would go sharp. Thought it was the wraps around the tuners but was swayed by general consensus it was the bridge. Even made a "locking" saddle.. No more going immediately sharp with removing the wraps and trees....

Wangling the six point trem... Funny couldnt think of anything to play but the trem stays in tune much better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  14. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

It's rock solid, saddles are in tracks.

willyboy likes this.
  15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

It would be cool if Wilkinson could combine those saddles with the bolted down style on their other VS bridge somehow.

At any rate I proved to myself today just how important locking tuners (used correctly) are if your going to be doing aggressive tremolo work sans locking nut.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  16. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Trust me, there is no reason to lock them down. Remember that without a locking nut the strings won't go totally slack so there is always down pressure

rockon1 likes this.
  17. Tone_Terrific

Possibly more significant than the locking tuners.:confused

Mark Robinson likes this.
  18. rockon1

rockon1 Member

No definitely the wraps around the tuner. The D and G were off the tree and they still would go sharp almost immediately after a deep downward trem movement.

19. Tone_Terrific

AHA--evidence. It will take more than that to change some people's minds.o_O

rockon1 likes this.
  20. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I'm going the other way and saying they do help. There simply is less string contact against the string itself as it wraps around the post. A locking tuner does not do allow the string to wrap beside itself, as you only need to get half a turn, resulting in one less point of contact. In a fixed bridge guitar, won't matter, on a tremolo equipped guitar, I think it does make a difference because the strings will loosen and tighten as the trem is used.

rockon1 likes this.