Do many of you use your amps drive channel rather than OD/Distortion pedals?

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer to use the amps lead channel instead of a pedal. In my opinion, I prefer the sound of the amps overdrive to the one coming out of a pedal. So for me I look for an amp that can do the overdrive I'm after.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Always use the amp. I've never heard a pedal sound as good as an amp. I don't understand the whole clean amp and pedals school of thought at all.

bbutler123

If I turn my Marshall up until it's too loud to be really comfortable, the drive channel is magnificent. If I play it loud, but still comfortable, my Tube Screamer is better by far than any tone I have ever heard in the drive channel of an amp.

I play very little metal. If I did, my drive channels would be best.

M

Member 45810

So far in my guitar playing years: if I'm not happy with the distortion/OD channel of an amp, I'm not gonna be happy with it no matter what pedal I put in front.

If I can't gel with the OD of the amp I don't buy the amp period.

I'm a guitar/cable/amp kinda guy and very very rarely use pedals.

Since I'Ve figured that out I'Ve never been dissatisfied with my tone.

Structo

It really depends on the amp and what I'm going for.

My D style amps have great overdrive so I use that.
They also have mid boost and preamp boost that is useful.

But I do have a couple fuzz pedals I throw in front of them occasionally.

Then I have a couple amps that are basically clean but will distort as they are turned up loud.
I prefer to use a tubescreamer type overdrive on those.

monwobobbo

for my main amp i use the dirt channel all the time and it's why i bought it to begin with. i use an overdrive to kick it up a bit and focus my lead sound. i only use a distortion pedal with my Legend as it really doesn't have a dirt channel.

Miles

IMO, drive channel on a Classic 30 is pretty solid. Nice gnarly brit-style drive especially when turned up. Great for blues and rock, even old school metal. If you want to use pedals with it, I recommend an OCD and Big Muff Pi stacking system. I used this with my classic 50 with hellaciously cool results. OCD on Low Pass and mid gain was rhythm, Muff Pi was BIG dirt and lead on top of it. So, the OCD was always activated. I found this more useful than the C50s dirt channel at the time. However, the Peavey Classic's dirt channel is really solid and nothing to snuff at. It's got lot of cut and punch.

I used to have a pedal based rig only, but have switched back to 2 channel amps that have a great dirt tone. I still have my clean amps and pedals, but find that amps with a built in gain channel are just a better fit for me right now.

Pedals can do a great job, but I like having most of my sounds inside of the amp right now. I might switch again next year, but for now, I use a first channel for rhythm and 2nd for big gain.

My use of pedals for drive often depends on the overall volume I'm able to have onstage.

If I can open it up a bit... then I almost always use the drive channel of the amp I'm playing. It's almost always more "organic" sounding to my ears, and more dynamic in responding to varied picking attack and volume control on the guitar.

My ideal setup is using my Fuchs ODS 50 modded HRDeluxe. It has a nice, controllable drive channel and a footswitchable boost for a bump for solos... plus a great clean channel that can also be boosted. That gives me plenty of gain levels to work with for the material I'm doing, and still has an overall master volume that can be set wherever I want. It's got a nice, smooth OD side that really sings.

M

primerib

count me in as one of the guys that uses the amps gain. the only time I amp cook or boost is when in the studio. it seems to tighten up the bottom end a tad that way. live my sound is a sum of all parts. the other guitarist, the bassist, me, etc..

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
When I buy a channel switching amp, all the channels have to sound good. I've yet to find an overdrive pedal that sounds better than a good overdrive channel, but sometimes it's just more convenient to use a pedal into a single channel amp.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I do both on my Kane D style amps.

Clean channel set at the verge of breakup with a strat/tele and then add a Klon or an Analogman SD-9 for more crunch/gain.

Then I use the OD side for my Gustavsson humbuckers and add the Klon for even more OD. I use the clean channel for slight clean tones and use my guitar's volume knob to clean it up further.

EADGBE

I use my Marshall TSL602 without distortion/overdrive pedals. The lead channel doesn't need them. It utilizes four 12AX7 preamp tubes.

fritferret

i only use my welagen 100 watt hrm or all my sounds. sold all of my od pedals after getting this amp.

ledzep618

I set the amp for nice crunch, roll back on the guitars volume for cleans, then kick on a naga viper treble boost for leads.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom