Do most Fender amps have huge jumps in volume between "1" and "2"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by still.ill, May 4, 2016.

1. garret

garret Member

5e3 circuits are the same. Very touchy between 1-2.

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yes, most get pretty loud by 3. I run my amp gigging usually about 3. I can go to 2.5 but lower and it doesn't sound good for some reason.

Bob Pollock likes this.
  3. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

They do get "hotter" - more compressed, which does bring up the lower signals without making the loudest louder - and more distorted, which also can make it seem louder, but in a band situation, the dif between 4 and 10 on most Fenders is Not that great.
    I have gigged a lot of Fenders, tweed, brown, bf, sf, they have all been like this.
    I played my bf pro today, actually.

4. jwny72

jwny72 Member

It's surely the case with my 59 Bassman RI LTD.

5. HerrRentz

HerrRentz Member

I had one of Fender's SS 2x12 combos a ways back that did this very thing. At '2' it would run you right out of the room. That was one loud amp.

6. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

Same with my '67 BF Bassman. Up to 2 and I get basically nothing but weak and thin. 2.5 is pretty loud for home use and suitable for most small gigs. 3 is where the magic starts to happen, it fattens up, the power tubes are getting juiced and it's right where I like it.

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Most of the vintage ones I've owned were not like that. The newer hot rods and such, yes.
    MD

8. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I agree, my HRD did this as well. Very annoying

9. logdrum

logdrum Member

MY 69 Bandmaster is not like that, the pot was changed I think. But that's a really common Fender thing, and way back then Vox used a nicer taper, maybe Marshalls too.

10. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

My Pro Jr and DRRI have the volume jump after 1.
    Pro Jr.s volume is pretty maxed around 5 and then just gets more and more overdriven. The DRRI LTD I have isn't like that though and has a pretty even run up in volume to 10. I had another DRRI (regular blackface kind, not LTD) and that was similar to the Pro Jr in regards to volume where it was pretty much maxed around 5 and then just got more overdriven after that.

11. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

One thing I do like about the Blues Jr is having separate gain and master volumes, you can really regulate it's volume sweep this way.

Of course, some would say it has the ability to sound bad at any volume level... lol

12. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Had a Fender Blues Deluxe and the volume pot on that amp was moronic. There was very little room between having a nice volume to practice with and the kind of volume that knocks you on your ears.

13. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

I had a 2 Pro Jr.s that's the exact reason I got rid of those amps. The "volume jump". I never had that problem with the PRRI or DRRI.