Do most STP fans think that Weiland wronged the DeLeo Bros?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by NB_Terry, Mar 29, 2020.

1. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

I've always thought so. The DeLeo brothers were the foundation of that band and put in so much work and were highly skilled musicians and songwriters.
    For guys like that a singer is often a crutch. A necessary evil in some cases. They are required to propel the song beyond being an instrumental and more into mainstream favor.

Not Through Yet likes this.
  2. muzishun

muzishun Member

Well Scott isn't around to defend himself so...

Lung plunger and 27sauce like this.
  3. muzishun

muzishun Member

But I will say nobody would have ever heard of deleos if not for Scott so there's that tidbit.

4. 27sauce

27sauce Member

You’d think one of them would’ve just learned how to sing at some point, right? ;)

DiAmoroso likes this.
  5. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

There was more to being a frontman in the 90s than being able to sing...and neither of the brothers had it.

6. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I think that goes without saying.

To elevate them above him(the necessary evil, a singer) artistically, or as a songwriter, is pretty sad.

Like I said, they were free to take the reins or get someone else....but they raped and pillaged that well(Scott) dry. It was almost exploitative.

They wronged themselves for going back so many times.

StreetwalkinCheetah likes this.
  7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Can either one actually sing decently?

8. 27sauce

27sauce Member

They both sing. I’ve seen Robert sing lead and he wasn’t bad at all. It was a loose, cover band situation...

PdL and Bluesful like this.
  9. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

For off, I am a VERY late bloomer to STP fan, I only heard the big hits and didn't pay much attention. About 2012, I heard Tripping on a Hole and thought "damn, that was good." I did a deep dive. Coming in late, the first 2 releases are my least favorite. I think Tiny Music and 4 are some of the best rock music I've heard, in my personal top 50.
    I think the question is rather dichotomous as Scott may have never met a more talented trio and the trio may have never had a better front man. I am very glad that STP has moved on and done new stuff.

monty, Darkburst and pepedede like this.
  10. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Well let’s see:

1. Because the individual in question is key to the artistic success of the band and without them there isn’t one - I’m sure we can all think of dozens of examples

2. Because the band mates care about their fellow human being and want to help them, including by staying in the band with them (which may or may not help depending on the particular circumstances)

3. $

sizzlemeister and PdL like this.
  11. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

Almost exploitative? Are you suggesting the brothers took advantage of Weiland?

12. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I mean, you know how the story is going to end, right? Yet they kept coming back, milking him for all he was worth. They were more valuable with him, dependent on him...

He was a cash cow.

13. PdL

Of course he was. But even during the worst periods of Scott’s addictions & mental health issues he was a grown ass man, and accordingly, responsible for his own actions.

There’s many factors that contribute to one becoming an addict, and biology is certainly being one of them, but @ the end of the day it’s the addict who makes the choice to begin, and continue to, indulge in the addictive substance(s) of their choice. That’s 100% on them. Pleas note I’m not suggesting Scott, or alcoholics & addicts in general, are weak individuals, don’t have the b*lls or aren’t man enough to suck it up & bootstrap their way out of their addictions, etc. That oft-touted theory is complete rubbish, born out of convenience and a limited understanding of substance abuse & addiction.

No doubt it wasn’t many years into STP that Scott’s mental & physical health began to deteriorate rapidly. A taste for coke & heroin + easy access to them + plenty of disposable income (at least initially) to purchase narcotics greatly accelerated the decline in his health. And it’s easy to speculate that if he’d been of more sound mind & body Scott would have told the DeLeo brothers to GFY & left STP for good. But who knows? Perhaps if Scott hadn’t been in the depths of addiction & struggling w/ mental health issues he may have been totally on board w/ whoring out STP to make as much $ as possible while they still had a huge fan base. Certainly wouldn’t have been the first guy in a popular rock band to champion that sure fire way of filling their coffers.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  14. Dasein

Dasein Member

Bass player had the charisma -- but more Svengali like than front man... Brother on guitar was pretty muted as a personality so not him.... What did you want BTO v2? That would have been bad.

15. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

Totally

16. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I think this sentiment could be applied to the brothers, as well.

17. PdL

Perhaps but I don’t think either Robert or Dean had the debilitating mental illness Weiland struggled with. Not sure what Robert was into, as far as vices go, but I believe Dean had a penchant for heroin.

27sauce likes this.
  18. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I’m talking about their dependency on Weiland. Dean has struggled with drugs and alcohol.

They designed the predicament they were in. From back to 95-97 when the first splits happened. They took him back with limitations, sanctions. But as time went on they needed him more and more to...make money.

You can’t take power and control from the person whom success most depends on. Even if he stayed straight, the inevitable would have happened. It was a toxic situation all around.

It also might have been different if Talk Show or any of the other off shoots worked. But, they didn’t...

JPIndustrie likes this.
  19. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Robert sings all the high backups on the hits. Try to sing some of his harmonies, it's not easy.

20. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Some isolated Robert

Nebakanezer and jiml like this.