Do musicians still get groupies?

nksoloproject

Back in the day, musicians (especially rock and pop stars) always had screaming girls after them, going back to the days of Elvis, the Beatles then continuing into the 70s and 80s with bands like Led Zep, Motley Crue, and a whole bunch of other who banged a shed load of women. Indeed, someone like Gene Simmons bedded over 4600 women, while Lemmy of Motorhead had around 2000. Mick Jagger has probably been with 1000s too. You can be ugly, nerdy etc - yet because you're a (famous) musician, you get girls.

But is it the same these days, especially with the music business not being what it used to be? Do rock bands still get groupies lining up, or is the groupie thing of another era and less prevalent today?

I know from playing in bands or performing solo gigs, busking etc that just putting yourself out there as a musician DOES attract some women, although for me nowhere near the amount that famous musicians/bands would get.

Fred McMurray

If you do anything creatively or athletically well in the public eye, you will most likely attract attention to some degree. It's not always the attention of the people you want, though! My music career was at its height (for however far I got a few years back...), and I was being stalked and accused of some crazy stuff by someone whom I never led on nor laid a finger on or gave any intention of doing so. Sexy sleazy gal and definitely fun personality - so I thought I was being kind and supportive to a fan of the band by engaging with her (so did the other guys), taking pics, buying drinks, talking about music - that was it. She was coming to every show (which was good at first). But I found out later on that she went through great lengths to find out about who I was dating and where I lived (ew creepy). When my girlfriend and I broke up after 1.5 years, sleazy gal 'assumed' I would be fair game and that she was next, after all. I was like "no offense, but I'm not interested in anything with anyone right now" was not the answer she wanted to hear. Maybe if I were 10 yrs younger and feeling more misogynistic or something LOL - but I knew enough that she wasn't a person I wanted to be with - I was kind and upfront about it, but it turned into a sh*tshow: She was harassing me and I was one step away from having to file a restraining order. She ended up following some other band, have no idea how that went.

ns2a

If you do anything creatively or athletically well in the public eye, you will most likely attract attention to some degree. It's not always the attention of the people you want, though! My music career was at its height (for however far I got a few years back...), and I was being stalked and accused of some crazy stuff by someone whom I never led on nor laid a finger on or gave any intention of doing so. Sexy sleazy gal and definitely fun personality - so I thought I was being kind and supportive to a fan of the band by engaging with her (so did the other guys), taking pics, buying drinks, talking about music - that was it. She was coming to every show (which was good at first). But I found out later on that she went through great lengths to find out about who I was dating and where I lived (ew creepy). When my girlfriend and I broke up after 1.5 years, sleazy gal 'assumed' I would be fair game and that she was next, after all. I was like "no offense, but I'm not interested in anything with anyone right now" was not the answer she wanted to hear. Maybe if I were 10 yrs younger and feeling more misogynistic or something LOL - but I knew enough that she wasn't a person I wanted to be with - I was kind and upfront about it, but it turned into a sh*tshow: She was harassing me and I was one step away from having to file a restraining order. She ended up following some other band, have no idea how that went.
You always remember your first stalker.

Buddhist#6

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been approached by both Females and males at shows! Both cover and original gigs! I like to talk to the people, not big into jumping in bed without connecting on an emotional and spiritual level first. Met a lot of people who have inspired me and have served as muses even though the relationship doesn’t always last. But that’s life isn’t it? People come and go, we give a little bit of ourselves and take some of the other person and vice versa, and we continue on our path. I could go on and on, but I think that’s pretty much my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited:

Wyatt Martin

I don't know... But I do know my guitar allowed me to have relations with some women I would have never otherwise had. I certainly don't mean that in any negative way. I would have never had the confidence or social skills to approach some of those women. So my guitar was the ice breaker.

But there were 3 other guys in the band who were never approached one time in the ten years we were together.

jblake

My ex-wife was a groupie. Once I decided to return to college and get a non-musical career she couldn’t get out fast enough. Then she became a race car driver groupie. Then she became an EDM groupie. Then she became a cop groupie, but I think they call them “badge bunnies.”

not big into jumping in bed without connecting on an emotional and spiritual level first.

Absolutely ;]

One way to prevent unwanted groupie action is to have a brief political discussion.

I was really thinking about giving in to some gorgeous redhead's attention after a few club dates, but when she told me who she voted for, I was like like no fn way... The clincher came when I asked why, she said "I didn't like that other guy". Who was that I said? "I can't remember his name" she said and that's when I knew it was over.

Last edited:

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
But is it the same these days, especially with the music business not being what it used to be? Do rock bands still get groupies lining up, or is the groupie thing of another era and less prevalent today?
No it's not the same thing at all - any girl I would call a 'Groupie' tends to go the route that @Fred McMurray went - Crazy, unsafe etc...the Girls I meet who I like are ones that don't go to bars often - want to talk about real stuff - and aren't so hot to trot ( which BTW neither am I) - and if something does come up it's more of a gentle climb and not a rush - which again I like - but I'm older and have been playing a long time - I've pretty much have been through it all.

Top Bottom