Do my line cords to and from amp take away quality?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Led14414, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Led14414

Led14414 Member

Hey guys,

I run a cord I got from radioshack from my computer to the amp in to jam with. It has the ends of a standard small headphone jack. And I have a headphone extension cord that comes out of amp I connect to pretty good sounding Sony headphones.

I just invested in a brand new amp, and even a new guitar cable, and am hoping the quality of all my new equipment will not be affected by the line out cord from the computer and the headphone cord.

Any thoughts on this? When I bought these cords from radioshack there was no high quality expensive one or low quality, it was just a radioshack brand line out cord and a radioshack headphone extension cord for the amp.

Will these negatively affect quality of my new amp and equipment? Any thoughts? Thank you

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The only thing that could be affected is whatever you're pumping in from your computer...and the impact would be very minimal at worst.

3. bordonbert

bordonbert Member

Blue Strat is absolutely right. However if you wanted to improve your background track (and music output in general) you could go for one of these ultra-cheapos or any similar item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-f-Computer-PC-Virtual-8-1ch-USB-Sound-Card-adapter-/370886658047?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_SoundCards&hash=item565a9147ff

It's a little USB headphone DAC and they make a tremendous improvement to the sound you will get for all sound coming from your computer. The idea is to take all of the analogue signal path outside of the computer where there is an appalling amount of digital hash flying around. The digital signal is not affected by noise pickup of course but the analogue is of course sensitive to it.

The difference it makes is amazing even at the ridiculously low price of around £2. Maybe not for your guitar work but if your Sony Headphones are of good quality they will benefit significantly.

4. Led14414

Led14414 Member

Thanks, so the consensus is that the cords themselves will not affect quality much if at all? Thanks!