• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Do my non-TB pedals have good buffers?

yawiney

Here's what I got. An old Russian Big Muff -mid seventies(usually in the chain). 74' Script Phase 90(always in), Whammy 2 and Digitech Multiplay from the 80's(the W2 and Digitech Multi are rarely used), I think the full frequency output on my Goodrich LDR 1 is buffered but not sure(always in). Mr Springgy rvb(always in). 4-6 TB pedals depending.

I think Mr. Springgy has a good buffer but i use it last in the chain where Iv'e heard mixed things about putting the buffer. My cable between pedals is longer than it should be and I have a 20fter from the guitar to pedals(so I can go be in the drummer zone), and only a five ft George L to the amp.

dbun

I reference the buffer against my "straight-in" tone to decide if the buffer is good enough, or whether I need a dedicated buffer.

Just plug your guitar straight into the amp with a short, good quality cable and then compare that tone to the tone you get running through your board and "gig setup".

deadlands

The Russian Muff and Phase 90 don't have buffers. It's bypass switches between the output of the circuit or the input jack. When it's bypassed your signal is still going through the circuit just not out the output. This loads your pickups and sucks tone.

The Whammy and Multiplay are converting your signal from analog to digital and from digital back to analog all the time. That almost always produces a tonal change and changes in playing feel. This depends on the converters and this is also why "analog dry through" is a huge selling points on digital pedals.

The easiest way to avoid these issues is to use a true-bypass looper to take these pedals in and out when they're not in use. You could also true-bypass mod the Muff and Phase 90. The Whammy and Multiple you really can't do anything about.

yawiney

The Russian Muff and Phase 90 don't have buffers. It's bypass switches between the output of the circuit or the input jack. When it's bypassed your signal is still going through the circuit just not out the output. This loads your pickups and sucks tone.

The Whammy and Multiplay are converting your signal from analog to digital and from digital back to analog all the time. That almost always produces a tonal change and changes in playing feel. This depends on the converters and this is also why "analog dry through" is a huge selling points on digital pedals.

The easiest way to avoid these issues is to use a true-bypass looper to take these pedals in and out when they're not in use. You could also true-bypass mod the Muff and Phase 90. The Whammy and Multiple you really can't do anything about.
Thanks, I know those digital ones do suck tone when added in and I'm in the market for a good looper strip. There are some loopers that have a buffer/boost option. That's another reason I am wondering if any of the pedals had a good one. In that case i will go for a TB looper strip. Might even get one w/ pre-sets. Main concern is audio quality. Any suggestins?

Is Mr. Springgy at the end of the chain helping?
Who will TB the Muff and P-90? And would the same person be able to add an AC power mod?
Much thanks again.

yawiney

BTW I like what the Mr. Springgy does to my tone when on(besides the reverb) and by itself I don't notice a difference when it is off. Through the whole board my pure clean is definately not as good as straight in amp.

thecornman

Honestly what does it matter if you like your setup? If you have to come online and ask then you probably are not noticing anyways! Plug in, play and don't worry about the things that only seem to matter on the internet.

MIM#1

I'm with cornman. I'm rocking a soundtank tremolo and various boss/DIY pedals.
I use EMG's in my strat and Hohner GT3 so go active if your concerned about 'signal purity'...then you can run through 20 boxes if you want.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom