Do not put tape on the Headstock!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tkozal, Jan 24, 2012.

1. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

I was in 30th st guitars yesterday picking up a bass after Matt did some work. we're at the counter, and a guy comes in with an instrument that was rented for a film shoot, a yummy vintage gold sparkle Strat. Matt opened the case to check it out, and there was a note that said "Do not put tape over the headstock logo".

I see this all the time, tape over headstocks on TV, but Matt said he had to make a film co buy an old Jerry Jones that had the logo taped, which went with the tape when it was ripped off!

2. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Jeez, what did they use, duct tape?

3. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

how'about a post-it-note?

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Why would you put tape over the headstock in the first place? Is this a new fashion fad? Beside, I've had the glue from tape - blue painters masking tape - react with Fender nitro in a bad way.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Ayep. Once got a bumper sticker too close to a headstock, the vapors alone lifted that nitro right off nice and flaky-like.

Photo and film shoots tape over logos so they don't have to pay companies for their use in a shoot.

My wife was watching a korean drama last night, and I was like - uh, that tape isn't that effective...

[​IMG]

6. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

I think it's the opposite. Programs don't want to provide free advertising. I remember watching one of those talent programs recently and all of the *obviously* Marshall amplifiers on stage had the 'Marshall' emblem removed and the *obviously* Gibson guitars had black electrical tape over the logo. No different than all those reality TV shows where the logos on the cans of soda they're drinking are taped over and the clothing logos are blurred out.

7. BKL71

BKL71 Member

Speaking of obscured logos, isn't that an Orange amp in the background with white tape over the logo?

8. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

Can anyone identify that amp? What is it?
    :sarcasm

9. JaySwear

JaySwear Member

No, sir! But I did play through an Orange amp just like it the other day at a shop...

10. Jahn

Well, I thought it was an Orange, but then the speaker cab name was taped too (but not the logo), so you know, that kinda threw me off again.

[​IMG]

That kinda takes you out of the Suspension of Disbelief thing, doesn't it? I mean, no kid in real life does that - unless Orange Amps were so uncool that you try to hide it, which is kinda negated by all the orange tolex and stuff. This isn't a case of Tom Morello covering the Marshall amp and Peavey cab names after all, like so:

[​IMG]

11. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

That's kind of random. Why have multiple Orange amps on set if you aren't wanting to show them? If you are just trying to fill in the background of a music room with props, there are more generic looking amp options. If they wanted them for their sound isntead of look it would imply they were recoring sound live, which seems really unlikely?

I've spent an inordinant amount of tie analyzing a tv show I will never watch.

12. kak1154

kak1154 Member

This is close. It's really the other advertisers on a program that would object to companies' logos being shown. They are paying good money to air their commercials during the show, so why should this other company get airtime for free, just because The Situation wants to drink a Pepsi?

13. Jahn

Yep I think that's right - lookit American Idol, then X-Factor - Coke, then switcheroo, Pepsi. Marketing. "We have to pay you guys to put our cups on your table, but Gibson gets to stare at the audience from your band's guitar? TAPE OVER IT."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW it looks like someone slipped up for the promo, and some advertiser got mad later perhaps. "Hey, Director! He forgot to tape his amp cab again! And...it's not even plugged in! Where's the Amp!?" Ah, korean dramas.

[​IMG]

14. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

In the beginning, Tom Morello removed the Peavey logo from his cabs out of shame.

15. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Its the opposite. They tape over logos unless the IP owner pays up. No free advertising.

16. Jahn

Taping over to look cooler or to look less shameful is sorta the same thing? well, i guess you can look less shameful but still just be Not Uncool, not necessarily Cool.

17. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

Early in the years of television showing the brand names on certain shows was not allowed. If you watch any of the Andy Griffith shows there's an episode with James Best playing a Fender Jaguar with the logo area of the headstock covered with black material. Similarly Paul Simon's Kodachrome wasn't played on radio in England for some time because he mentioned a company brand name in the lyrics.