Do not use ups check out on eaby purchases with paypal

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hdiddy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Here is the deal, I sold a guitar on ebay for $1585, used the UPS shipping that is offered via paypal. I thought it was a good idea, they only let you insure a package for $1000. Sent the guitar and they lost it !!!!!!!
    File a claim give them all the paperwork from ebay etc.., I tell them that I try to insure for more than $1000 and they tell me that in the fine print on paypal that is it. So they lost my guitar and I lost $600, what a bunch of BS. No more UPS Paypal!!!!

2. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

Lost my ass. Some UPS scumbag saw the max insurance and "misplaced" it.

I have a relative who worked for both UPS and FedEx. According to him, the likelihood of employee theft is lower at FedEx.

3. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

Yuck, sorry to hear that. I've had a bummer UPS story too. Looking around the net I found several tirades against UPS, calling them a corrupt organization. How could they handle somthing that they won't insure? I can't get away with that.

4. mannish

mannish Member

I have never used UPS via the web - paypal or otherwise BUT never ever had a problem with them. I have been using them forever - I was using ebay from day one buying and selling. I have never had a problem with UPS at all. Paypal now that's a different story

5. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Use USPS. Stealing mail is a federal crime (whether done by a postal employee or anyone else). Fines can go above $100,000. In 1792, the penalty for stealing mail was death.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/radDocs/pubs/ar01_01.pdf

6. Marble

Marble Member

That's really outrageous, I don't know what UPS doesn't come under more fire for that stuff happening.

7. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

USPS is great. I have never had a problem with UPS, but had tons of problems getting stuff by FEDEX.
    I quit doing Ebay when it started being just another Amazon, so I don't order much music gear. I can find anything I need locally anyway.

8. cdntac

cdntac Member

I'm confused....

You either didn't read the fine print.

Or...

Knew that they only insure things to a maximum of $1000 yet still chose to ship it with them.

How could you have attempted to insure it for more (as you say) when you knew what their maximum dollar amount allowed is?

9. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Some pretty good music shops on Mars, then?

:rotflmao

10. sst

sst Member

Yeah i try to avoid ebay at all cost when it comes to selling. To many things to go wrong. Scamming buyers, shipping problems etc. For stuff around $1000, I generally price stuff 100-200 dollars below ebay price and sell it on craigslist. You might have to wait longer but less worry. Admittedly this works best if you have something that's pretty mainstream. I couldn't sell a Divided by 13 nor a Morgan on Craigslist, though i did sell drz maz 18.

11. paulscape

paulscape Member

I avoid eBay and UPS as much as possible!

12. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Oh hell yeah.... the red planet is one funky place, doncha know..............

13. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

First off, how the hell does a guitar get lost..It has tracking numbers attached to it so it should be traceable.

Secondly, the risk of the guitar getting damaged in transit is definitely there. Unless everything you ship gets its own ATA case to be safe in, something bad will eventually happen. By rolling the dice on insurance values, you are taking all the risk. You knew the guitar would only be insured for $1000.00. You could have taken the guitar to a UPS Customer Center and insured it for its full value. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and be grateful that you are getting the $1k back. Most of the time, sellers get zero back from shipping companies.

14. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

They intice you to use UPS?USPS from paypla, by getting a discount vs. going to the UPS store. Try to insure a guitar for more than $1000 at Fedex store, they wont let you do it. Correct lesson learned.

But you are correct losing an envelope or small package, but a guitar with a tracking #