Do parents still spank their children these days?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Old Possum, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I don't believe it. I got whooped when I got out of line and I'm perfectly find find fine:brick

... and so we clearly have boatloads of kids that have no respect for authority these days ... I wonder why :huh

cbnutt, Slaphappy, Scrapperz and 3 others like this.
  2. iGouger

iGouger Supporting Member

I grew up in the 70s and was spanked as a child. I had children of my own in the early 90s and never spanked them; they got "time-outs" instead. When I see children getting spanked these days I cringe. But it's none of my concern really... I would never say anything to the parents just because it's a practice I don't condone... that's their business.

3. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill

I beat ours with a tire iron and fire poker. You would be amazed how effective it can be.

4. germs

germs Member

Seems like a lot of people get confused about “physical abuse” and “a spanking”.

Choose not to use the belt? Cool.

Don’t be a sh*thead to those who do.

Kids don’t come w an instruction manual. You do not have all the answers. There’s no one right way.

cbnutt, Slaphappy, BuddyGuit and 2 others like this.
  5. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I never spanked my kids. Thankfully my wife wouldnt let me. She is a social worker and knows about this stuff.

My dad escallated until he cracked my ribs. He stopped after that. Im glad my kids arent afraid of me.

6. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

Lol.

Scrapperz likes this.
  7. pokey

pokey Member

Dad never raised a hand to any of us 3 boys. He was a Drill Instructor for the USMC in the late 50's (MCRD San Diego) He could get his message across without getting physical.

amstrtatnut likes this.
  8. shane8

shane8 Member

as a model child I was rarely spanked

now I have to pay for it :|

to answer the Q as a crotchety old fart given the # of unruly kidz I see they should bring back caning & stocks in the town square

9. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill

That's one good way to reduce the cane toad population.

Scrapperz and A-Bone like this.
  10. scott58

scott58 Member

I'm so glad I never had kids.

Hack Prophet likes this.
  11. macula56

macula56 Member

This is my favorite thread today.

Slaphappy, Scrapperz and shane8 like this.
  12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I think resorting to physical violence just shows you are out of options and don't know how else to react.

I get it too, no judgement. My 4 and 9 year old push buttons and I would be lying if I said they haven't gotten a tap on the bottom here or they due to my sheer frustration. I'm not proud of it.

But I can't sit here and pontificate on why spanking is bad when I've struck other humans. I'd be a hypocrite.

I'll say this too to further damn myself. The way my wife talks to me sometimes, her sarcasm, her condescension, etc., there have been times I thought, "if a man spoke to me that way I'd take a swing."

tnvol, CRAIG4FSU and Zappatalist like this.
  13. blaster

blaster Member

As a kid I got spanked, as a parent never did that. I got my point across to my kids without spanking and they turned out great.

lhallam and amstrtatnut like this.
  14. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Supporting Member

:spit

I got spaked all the time as a child and teen and have no ill will. I think it made me a better person and taught me how to deal with adversity, especially when things didn't go my way. I also used to get paddled in High School on a daily basis for yep, you guessed it, class clown. So I started wearing an extra pair of shorts. This one teacher had holes drilled in his paddle so it would whistle it was awesome!

If anyone has a link, I'd also like to see a study of those who are for and against spanking. My guees is those that are against were paddled excessively because of bad parenting and/or had a bad experience/abuse and I'm seriously not beign insensitive. But I'm sure theres a chance I'm wrong and it won't be the first time and that's why I come to TGP to learn stuff.

I also wouldn't spank my kids today, I'd use psychology... like others mentioned cutting out internet/x-box and such.

~ss

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  15. mikebat

mikebat Member

While I am sure it is the results for some people, it is not a certain conclusion.

16. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

I grew up in the 60s and 70s and I was spanked. Hell, I was abused and it sucked. The last time I had an accident in my pants, my father put me in a bathtub of cold water and scrubbed my ass with a Brillo pad. I never had another accident. That was just one of many events. Nowadays both my parents would have been jailed.

It took me a long time to acknowledge how it affected my life, as it was always presented to me as “normal.”

17. vadsy

vadsy Member

Start with the belt. Assert dominance early.

shane8 likes this.
  18. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Reading through this litany of spank/anti spank philosophy I see a trend - it's not spanking that causes emotional or other problems in children - it's the anger behind it. IMO if a parent is angry/mad and hits the kids because they can't control their emotions - it seems a causality in future emotional problems in the kids. But if a parent is in control and in the mind of punishing bad behavior it appears to adjust the behavior without damaging the kid.

We never spanked out daughter - we didn't have to. When she sees she has disappointed us that hurts her more. Generally she is a great kid - and well liked by her teachers and friends and well loved by her parents, uncles and aunts. These days the most effective discipline tool in our Parent Box? Taking away the iPhone and/or Computer Privileges.

19. vadsy

vadsy Member

This. Agreed. You can't go punishing still fired up and angry

soundchaser59 likes this.
  20. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

Was she Italian ? My mom was off the boat and she was Annie Oakley with her shoes

shane8 and DYNA BILL like this.