Do people "really" come up to you at gigs and compliment you on your tone?

MDrummey

I usually do get some remarks from other guitar players about how my tone fits nicely in the mix of the band. That it works really well for the music we play. Since I live in Nashville I think at any given moment the audience is mostly comprised of guitarists which is both interesting and terrifying. :D

Steve2112

Nobody cares. Maybe your two little tiny friends you invited to impress. If you actually play anywhere of any significance.....people are busy eating drinking and trying to get laid. Your tone...is like -5 on their scale of caring. You could have a crate g120 c and they'd tell you how awesome you sound.

And if you were any good, you would sound....awesome.

I agree with anyone that said as long as you weren't too loud they couldn't talk, eat, flirt or get laid or act like everyone was there just for you.......you were great...well you were. Good job!

MAke sure to tell your girlfriend or possibly wife to not dance just to get the crowd going.

Devo

or is that just something you imagine.. Granted I may not have the best tone in the land.. but I dont think anyone ever has ever come up to me at a gig and said .. " hey man , love your tone" maybe like I said. .my tone might suck.. but .. is it just me or what? I mean Ive been gigging for many a year and never once heard it.. ok maybe once or twice someone may have said your guitar sounds good... but thats over a 30 year period... :)

Ive probably done this post before in my old age

HCMarkus

I use a breath controller with my keys. Someone is almost certain to inquire about the device... "Is that a harmonica?" every other gig or so.

I don't really care so much whether the audience says anything about my tone. Sure, it's nice if someone says something nice. But if one of my bandmates offers a compliment (and we use IEMs, so they can, if they choose, actually hear what I'm doing), I consider it high praise.

EDIT: Didn't read the title of this thread. No one has EVER complimented me on my guitar tones.
(I don't play guitar.)​

Last edited:

stomp_nz

I really like my tone (tones really, it depends on the rig).
It's never bothered me if people dislike it because my tone is really just for me, just like my guitars pedals and amps, they are all just for me and no one else.
I could do a gig with a Bullet Squire and Ashton GA100, the crowd would not care, but it would definitely not be as much fun!

My playing, on the other hand, that's different. There never seems like there are enough hours in the day to practise towards my ever-shifting goals....Just when you get to where you think you will be happy there is always something else to work towards, kinda great really

Tdog

Sometimes, but if I'm playing to an older crowd I often get compliments on the clarity of the PA on the vocals

s2y

It happened once. I went to an acoustic jam and brought my Englemann/Brazilian OM. Between the guitar and my playing that night, people noticed.

erniecaster

Hi,

yes, people compliment me for tone, sound, songs and all the rest of the gig. Mostly when I thought, it was a bad gig. Whenever I think, I was fantastic, no one cares. To make it clear: I am not joking.

cu

erniecaster

Strat58

Yes always they even take pictures of mine pedals, its simple and effective OCD with Fulldrive, kind of a Gary Moore sound they say. Oh well I used to do that also when I started playing guitar, if it helps somebody I am fine with that. Its a matter off pass it on for the next generation of guitar players.
Peace Strat58

Kreso

It is usually guitar players who compliment, and it is usually in the form of "the guitar sounds fantastic". :)
Since I started playing in a trio (bass, guitar and singer) it happens all the time because the guitar is so prominent and hard not to notice.

An anecdote from a recent gig: I was busy talking to a group of girls, and some local guitarist approached my bass player with a compliment how my guitar sounded excellent. He wanted to know what kind of a custom telecaster I used, and my bass player was delighted to respond: it is a 100€ Harley Benton. :D

Brooks

Once or twice. One time was a jazz trio that I was using a Roland VG8 to switch between 335, nylon string, & synth sounds.

I played in a Police cover band (spending-hours analyzing Andy Summers tones and effects) - I have had people say "Wow" - it really sounds just like the Police!!! (although) the singer sounded exactly like Sting, and we also had a fantastic Bass-player. I do think we all worked-very-hard, to sound" as Close to the Record as possible.
Pedalboard December 2020.JPG

Feverdog

Somebody complimented me once after a gig on my pedalboard carrying case. Apparently it was a vintage suitcase that was highly desirable and I’d been lugging around cords and pedals with it clueless to it’s couture ness.

diesel416

I guy I've been jamming with recently complimented my tone. Thank Henry Amplification and a Les Paul R8.

Powertrain

There’s not many Jazzmasters around here(Detroit), mostly LPs Strats teles you know the usual.

Detroit? (I’m in se mi) What band? Link?

The only compliments I get are from my wife. One time when I was trying to learn a song she came in gushing, super impressed with how good I sounded. I had to explain that she was hearing the recording I was trying to emulate. Lol.

I’m a lousy, slightly better than beginner, guitar player. I wish I was as good as any one of you.

However, I do have a good ear.

So to the rest of you, “you guys sound great” though a bit general, is a compliment. I say it at times. It is genuine.

Riffi

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
Detroit? (I’m in se mi) What band? Link?

The only compliments I get are from my wife. One time when I was trying to learn a song she came in gushing, super impressed with how good I sounded. I had to explain that she was hearing the recording I was trying to emulate. Lol.

I’m a lousy, slightly better than beginner, guitar player. I wish I was as good as any one of you.

However, I do have a good ear.

So to the rest of you, “you guys sound great” though a bit general, is a compliment. I say it at times. It is genuine.
I’m actually in Sterling Heights! I’m the guy in the green/teal shirt

Trending Topics

Top Bottom