Do people still love the Dimarzio Virtual PAFs?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1973Marshall, Apr 15, 2008.

1. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I thought these were AMAZING pups in MY PRS.

I decided I wanted a matching set and I preferred the Duncan Pearly Gates Bridge so I switched out. Keep thinking of going back, but as these get phased out, the VPAFs are not very talked about. 2 - 3 years ago they were the talk of the town.

Thoughts?

2. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

I love mine. I've had one in the bridge of my Melancon Pro Artist for about a year now. It's staying. I have a Pearly Gates in the bridge of my Carvin Bolt - also a great pickup, but if I could, I'd switch it to a VPAF.

I did compare my VPAF to the newest version of their PAF, the one that replaces it. His was in a Melancon almost identical to mine. Tones were very, very close - probably indistinguishable to most ears. We weren't even sure what we were hearing - you know, different but was it really?

3. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Love them as a neck pup, not so much in the bridge.

4. changeling

changeling Member

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have a LP Studio VM with that pup in the bridge. No complaints.

6. fazen

fazen Member

I put them in my epi dot, vpaf in the neck and virtual hot paf in bridge, with push-pull tone pots. Vast improvement over the stock pups.
    Sound great to me.

7. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

Just bought one to put in my 98 Am Std strat.....in conjunction with an Dimarzio Area 67 in neck and 58 in middle. Wanted to really learn about wiring too so I am doing a Fender Super 5 way switch, treble compensation on the volume control, switching in and out 250K Ohm resistors for the singles with a 500K volume pot, switching capacitors......Hoping for the best; will get it done in a week or so.....I wanted a PAF sound without a ton of money going out...

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Treble bypass circuit? Yuck! True it helps retain high's lost when rolling down the volume pot on "regular" strat wiring. But it also let's those harsh upper nasties out that normally are bled off to ground anyway....and they stay, even when rolling down the volume.

I adopted my LP's "50's" wiring scheme to my strats and this takes care of the volume/highs issue while sounding much more natural and not having to fool with a treble bypass circuit. Give it a shot, just move the tone circuit from the signal/switch leg on the volume pot to the output jack leg. I use the MV, MT, Blender setup. If you're using two tone pots, you may have to adapt a little.

I also make my own blender pots out of the good, brass shaft CTS pots since noone seems to offer them. No need to pay double for a pre-made blender pot. Just bend the tabs, disassemble, score the trace at the left leg, check with a meter, reassemble.

I'm surprised more folks haven't talked about this in relation to strats, it seems to be mainly a "LP" accepted wiring scheme. Builders haven't even started doing this yet...Grosh still uses a treble bypass circuit. I dunno why, I really dig it on my LP and Strats.

9. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

Interesting; you just switch where the tone control connects, from the output of the pickups BEFORE the volume pot to the OUTPUT of the volume pot correct?

10. Ironman

Ironman Member

I had them in my R8 for awhile. They were better than the BB's but in this guitar the neck pup wasn't clear enough for me. I've got Dr.V's in her now and life is good. Bottom line, they were nice but I wasn't blown away by them. I am blown away by the Dr.V's which have cured my R8 pup search.

11. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Yup - a great pickup for not alot of scratch.

12. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Sorry to be off topic in a PAF thread.....

But yeah, the tone control is usually wired to the same volume pot leg as your pickup source coming from the 5-way switch. Just wire your tone pot to the other side, the output jack leg.

13. jcground

jcground Member

DiMarzio virtual PAFs in the Thorn SC-X prototype - all mahogany with a BRW fingerboard. Very nice match for that guitar.

[​IMG]

14. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

I snagged a new pair of zebra Virtual Vintage PAF for my Les Paul and have been very pleased with them.

15. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member