• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Do Players Actually Play Their Signature Models As Their Main Guitar (#1)

bertramladner

Silver Supporting Member
Was watching a Lukather live show and noticed that almost all his live videos feature him playing his signature guaitar. Thought that was pretty cool since he can probably play anything he wants.

Do others use their signature model to this extent. I can think of some that don't

bertramladner

Silver Supporting Member
Most of them do yes. What does it mean they only play that guitar all the time for every song.
I mean like do they tour with it as their main axe. Like I don't see Pete playing his Suhr a lot on demos or live that often

Last edited:

71strat

Gary Moore did, but he had Gibson put Tom Holmes H450/H455 pickups in it from the factory.

ErichA

Silver Supporting Member
I never really thought about it.
I play a sig as my main, but I know Jimmy Page doesn’t play this model.
Steve Vai, maybe?
Idk. All’s I know is, I have the right guitars for me. Would I mod a sig? If I thought it would suit my needs, then h-e-double-hockey-stick yes!

ClickClack

When I saw Johnny A perform at a small intimate club in the L.A. area in support of his second solo album, Get Inside, he had just two guitars on-stage, and both were his Gibson Johnny A Custom with the Bigsby tremolo tailpiece, but in two finishes. However, when I saw him a few years ago at McCabe's Guitar Shop & Concert Hall in Santa Monica, he was playing a couple of other guitars, with not one of his signature axes in sight. No idea why, unless he got used to playing solid-bodies during his time as lead guitarist with the reformed Yardbirds.

Last edited:

TomBombadil

A lot of the Ibanez artists do pretty much all the time. It’s probably part of the deal.
Personally, I think your guitar should be like a jedi’s lightsaber. Personal to the player and recognizable. Even I want to get a unique color and have people be like “that’s THAT guy with the _____ guitar”

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
I know a couple that play their signatures because they own guitar company. Each show is like a 2 hour commercial for their brand. The only exception is when they play an acoustic.

Daita (ex-Siam Shade) is co-owner of G-Life. He plays multiple G-Life guitars at a given show where he switches between different models or colors every few songs. Talk about 'commercial'.

The other would be Akira Takasaki of Loudness who is one of the owners of Killer guitars.

Last edited:

bertramladner

Silver Supporting Member
A lot of the Ibanez artists do pretty much all the time. It’s probably part of the deal.
Personally, I think your guitar should be like a jedi’s lightsaber. Personal to the player and recognizable. Even I want to get a unique color and have people be like “that’s THAT guy with the _____ guitar”
Vai for sure

Trending Topics