Do plexiglas shields and sound absorbers work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dbeeman, Jan 5, 2006.

1. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I have a bit of a volume problem. Right now I have my amp fairly low with the closed back cab pointing at me. I'd like to crank the amp up a bit, and use an open back cab.

Does something like clearsonic ampshield and sorber
    help?

2. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

Yes they do, my band uses them around our drummer (we made them ourselves though, out of Lexan). That way we can have drums in the PA not interfering with the drums coming off the stage. I also have the industiral sound absorber curtains up in my music room. I can get louder before disturbing the rest of the house. I think you can get them from Grainger, they are 4x8 feet, not sure of the cost.

3. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Yes, absolutely!!

I rarely use my Clearsonic, but I have and here's a for instance. A few years ago, my band was doing a small house party (lotta people, smallish room) and I had one of my TRock amps at the time. For fear of running everyone out of the room, I put my shield in front of my amp and was standing right next to it, so I got sound coming up from the space between the cab and plexi. It was fine for me. My wife was sitting maybe 10' in front of me and said she couldn't hear me in the mix, which admittedly was loud. I had to gradually move the shield over, exposing some of the cab front to be heard. I was amazed at how effective the shield was.

jon

4. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I have been using one for quite some time after trying all kinds of solutions to manage stage volumes. It really works , I can get a good cranked sound without killing the folks in the front of the cabs and without pissing off the soundman.

You might try just turning your closed back cab backwards away from you and cranking it too.

5. stompbox

stompbox Member

moving it over does not allow an even flow.... you need to drill holes in the front of the plexi at equal spacing.

6. aeolian

aeolian Member

They work. Another example. Last year I did a gig at the Kuumbwa Jazz Center with an acoustic pianist. There was an electric bass player using a 200W Ashdown and a single 12 Bag End. At the sound check he asked if they wanted a DI and the sound person said definitely not. I had my Fuchs ODS100 plugged into a oval open back 1-12 Tonker cab (a very forward and loud speaker). I put my homemade plexi shield in front of it. And during soundcheck the soundperson came up and put a mike on my guitar amp! That allowed her to control the house, and as Jon said, enough sound funneled up between the amp and shield to my ears that I could hear myself just fine. The shield is set to come half way up the top speaker in my 2-12 so some direct sound spills over the top. At Kuumbwa, with the 1-12 totally blocked, the audience was getting the PA and a bit of stage ambience. Seemed to work really well although a few guitarists in attendance said I wasn't loud enough. :)

7. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Yes, they do work.
    I've built two so far!. First one clear and after the other guitarist saw it he wanted one.
    This one is dark tinted plexi, very cool...but i'm thinking of keeping them both...I like to move them to the side of the band so I get a good blast but they stay calm, and the front rows are still filtered.

Mark I's can get up there pretty easy.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've used Clearsonics for awhile, works great. BrewBeck also has one. I never get told to turn down and I play pretty loud.

9. dbeeman

Yep. Greg's Komet is loud. Got to hear it at Bill Chapin's old shop a while back.

Thanks Guys. Looks like I will be putting in an order

10. dbeeman

I got a clearsonic sheild and sorber. Just used it at rehearsal. Sound guys said it was much easier to dial in the sound. I can't hear myself quite as well (the amp use to point right at my face)

Will report on gig use soon

11. LaXu

LaXu Member

Do they change tone at all? Would those be of any use in a home environment?

12. Tapp

Tapp Member

Can anyone post some pics or link to a pic of your plexi glass setups? In church, I have a hard time with volume and must use a closed back cab directed at me.

Also are these shields just plexi(lexan) material or do they have some rigid fiberglass attached for absorption?

Tapp

13. dbeeman

Mine has 4 1*2 shields and and 2 2*4 absorbers in back
    I had the same problems. I will use my setup tommorow for the first time. I will post results

It definitely sounds different than having the cab on a stand pointing at my face - but maybe more like the audience hears
    They might make it a little quieter at home too, Have not tried that.

14. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I wonder if you could take a thin pice of plywood covered with some foam and get decent results with it?

I play mostly at church and I tend to not like my tone unless the amp is running close to saturation. My loudness has always been a sticking point with the choir because of the big mics they use. At the current, i just point my cab facing the rear of the stage curtain and that sucks up a ton of sound.:eek:

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have been researching the Clearsonic stuff and was going to order one on Monday. Now I am without a doubt. Cool.

16. Tapp

Tapp Member

Dbeeman,

I will look forward to your review and thoughts after trying out the clearsonic.

Please let us know where you'll stand/sit in relation to the plexi and how it sounds.

Tapp

17. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Great find! I'll be ordering one for the soon finished home studio as well. But I've gotta say that the pictures of guys sitting in those mini-isolation booths looked like something out of 'Get Smart'.

18. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Wow, this sounds interesting. Are you guys using the back panel with the Clearsonic (as shown in the website)?

19. dbeeman

Ahhh ...the cone of silence?

Well, if agent99 will hang out with me, I'll get another one

20. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I've never tried these but I use a Demeter silent speaker chamber at church to great results. The Demeter is under the choir risers and I have sound insulation wrapped around it. I run my small little Komet about 1-2 o'clock and no one ever complains. We use in ear monitors.