• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Do private lessons one on one online work?

Nizzle

I am curious. Does the teacher really see and hear what you are doing? Or do you need very decent equipment on both sides to make this work?

Rob G

Having taught hundreds of them I can say yes, they work fine.

That said, you can't both play at the same time, but that cuts down on noodling and students pay more attention.

I often ask students to send me a video clip in-between lessons of something we're working on, so I can hear their phrasing or rhythm work clearer.

And students can record the video lessons too, which is useful.

Strummerfan

I don't see any reason why a Skype lesson wouldn't work. Maybe not ideal, but still viable. I've learned some things off YouTube videos, depending on the teacher, not an issue. I built a lap steel during Covid, having never played one before, and I've learned some blues licks, some Stones riffs, and a few technique concepts that way.

Nizzle

I don't see any reason why a Skype lesson wouldn't work. Maybe not ideal, but still viable. I've learned some things off YouTube videos, depending on the teacher, not an issue. I built a lap steel during Covid, having never played one before, and I've learned some blues licks, some Stones riffs, and a few technique concepts that way.
crappy microphone on student side?

ZENTISH

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Nizz, I started taking lessons last year in Feb, after about 4 or 5 lessons we had to go to zoom because of the covid stuff, I didn't think it would work to good and kind of balked at doin' it, but he talked me into trying it and it works great!
I just turn on the zoom meeting 30 min before the lesson and practice, and then there he is ready to teach!
The sound is not that good, but it has not been a problem for me.
But I know I'm going to like it when we can do in person.

TISH

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Absolutely.

I took weekly lessons with a guy for 8 months last year I had studied with for years. I'm currently doing a Zoom guitar group class on Sunday afternoon with an NYC player. There are like 6 of us in the group. Works great.

Last edited:

Aaron Mayo

I feel like it depends. It definitely works but if it's my money I want to play a duet with my instructor.

JimmyNoVA

Silver Supporting Member
It works, but you have to put the work in just like you would if the lessons were face to face.

The biggest advantage to me is access to really good teachers that live far away. The well-known guys that do Zoom lessons are better than anyone I know locally.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Last Saturday I gave a Skype lesson to a girl in Florida from California and it worked fine. Sure, it would be better if she had a Scarlett 2i2, mic, stand, and a JamKazam account, but she's a friend's 15 year old who is a total beginner. I tried to not make the poor kids hands and fingers hurt too bad. There was a little video latency, but audio pitch-wise we were perfectly in tune.

Nizzle

Last Saturday I gave a Skype lesson to a girl in Florida from California and it worked fine. Sure, it would be better if she had a Scarlett 2i2, mic, stand, and a JamKazam account, but she's a friend's 15 year old who is a total beginner. I tried to not make the poor kids hands and fingers hurt too bad. There was a little video latency, but audio pitch-wise we were perfectly in tune.
Those things you mention don't seem to be that expensive. Can that be plugged into any laptop?

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Those things you mention don't seem to be that expensive. Can that be plugged into any laptop?
Yes. You'll also have to get an adapter that goes from Ethernet to mini USB. If you plug the Scarlett directly into the wifi router, you may need a fairly long cable too. You get a much more stable connection. One on one, wifi through the air is fine. But we'll sometimes get 6 or so people all jamming at once, so you need all available bandwidth for audio. We turn off the cameras at that point, if it's the whole band. Monthly it's $20.00 per JamKazam account.

viking power

I'm going to hop in here instead of starting a new thread:

I have been taking lessons via Zoom for 3 weeks now (one session per week). It isn't great but maybe with some advice I can improve it...
I use my iPad Pro and have a hard time hearing the instructor even with my volume way up. Also, he tries to play along with me some of the time and I have no clue as to whether it sounds any good. I can barely hear his guitar or singing. This last session I mentioned it to him and he tried to stay closer to his mic. This helped a little but didn't help at all with me hearing his guitar. He was having trouble hearing me as well and had me enable original sound in Zoom which helped resolve that.
I am thinking of using headphones next session so I might be able to hear him better. I would just use earbuds with a built in mic. Would that mic though have noise suppression such that it blocks out the sound coming from my amp?
I feel like these are fairly simple problems that somebody has already solved so am hoping to get some answers.

Thanks,

Jason

Nizzle

I had an online lesson via GT. My set up:
- HDMI cable from laptop to tv with zoom
- Blue Snow mic for 80 euro between the amp and me so he could also hear me talk
- Sonos beam in 3.1 so i also hear him well.

I did not buy this for the lessons

James_E

During this downtime from gigs and jamming I've done both guitar and bass lessons over zoom and skype. Small amp like my Yamaha THR, sitting beside me.. and using my camera from my macbook picking up video and built-in mic for audio works FINE. I've gotten great instruction this way. Playing along to tracks or a metronome just play them on the computer and the microphone picks them up.

I've also done a lesson or two with a more elaborate setup using my audio interface for bass/guitar, with an external mic for voice on another channel of the interface, and an external webcam. To be honest, it didn't provide much extra over just using the built-in camera and built-in mic and the small amp.

CDP

I've got two students who've been learning over Zoom video from day one. Each gets an hour per week, since last November. One student is doing really well while one is struggling. But I'm certain that it's got nothing to do with them learning over Zoom, it's really that one practices and the other talks about practicing.

General_Specific

Gold Supporting Member
Can you elaborate on why you got lost? Bad audio or video? Technology issues?
I took lessons in CA many many years ago. I missed my old teacher and was thrilled to have Zoom lessons.

I found I couldn't follow. I couldn't see what he was doing, and he was having a hard time directing me. It was likely me, but I found the gulf was too wide.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom