• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Do some of you prefer writing on piano?

dsimon665

Silver Supporting Member
I do use the keys, but more for the type of input it provides, more percussive.
yes that percussive aspect is really nice. I've found the guitar can be used that way too...but with piano its so literal (striking the keys).

What comes to mind with that is Stevie Wonder's playing on some iconic tunes like Superstition.

Also György Ligeti - he was into africian polyrhythms and also extending that to piano. Some of his etudes are like that for example.

As far as extending that to guitar one player that comes to mind is miles okazaki. One of his albums is dedicated to rhythm (Mirror 2006)

Tmidiman

yes that percussive aspect is really nice. I've found the guitar can be used that way too...but with piano its so literal (striking the keys).

What comes to mind with that is Stevie Wonder's playing on some iconic tunes like Superstition.

Also György Ligeti - he was into africian polyrhythms and also extending that to piano. Some of his etudes are like that for example.

As far as extending that to guitar one player that comes to mind is miles okazaki. One of his albums is dedicated to rhythm (Mirror 2006)
Yes some can be done on guitar. Being lazy I'd finger pick some keyboard parts to add to my recordings. Can't strum a keyboard. I learned a lot more chords too.

Two awesome things happened when I used the guitar to compose my keyboard parts. One was that I got very good at chording, so much so that I don't even think of chords the way most guitarists do. I play whatever I want and figure it out later, i.e. A m7 13 chord. In my mind all notes are avaliable.

Second, I all of a sudden could play songs with walking bass lines like Tuck Andress. Nice!

Multicellular

I often write on any instrument I am not as good at playing. It helps me focus just on the melody and not jump right to playing something fluidly or perfectly.

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
Switching to the piano is a great help. It is easier to re harmonize melodies on it. Also, most players compose on their main instruments. This means that they self impose the limitations of their instruments and the limitations of their own technique.

Sometimes it's better to just write stuff and figure out how to play it later.

Top Bottom