• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Do speakers go to sleep if unused?

... I would bet you would have a bigger difference in sound with two different guitar players taking turns on the exact same rig, or at a concert and stand front and center in the crowd, then off to the side. ...
Yes, I think you would, and it's good to be sceptical.

But let me propose a 'thought experiment'. Suppose a drummer changes the skins on her snare-drum from the usual plastic (or whatever it is) to strong paper (like a speaker cone). Now imagine hitting that snare when that paper is 'dry and crisp' compared to 'damp and soggy' - I bet it would sound different! (Let's not worry about the paper splitting for now.)

Maybe someone could try it! :)

mojo jones

Yes, I think you would, and it's good to be sceptical.

But let me propose a 'thought experiment'. Suppose a drummer changes the skins on her snare-drum from the usual plastic (or whatever it is) to strong paper (like a speaker cone). Now imagine hitting that snare when that paper is 'dry and crisp' compared to 'damp and soggy' - I bet it would sound different! (Let's not worry about the paper splitting for now.)

Maybe someone could try it! :)
That's what happens when drummers use skin heads instead of synthetic. Skin heads aren't very popular where it's usually humid.

PGrant

Typical of TGP, coming up with wierd reasons for things and no one states the obvious. Perhaps you just don't really remember how your amp sounded.

Jeff Scott

It's generally believed that, left unplayed, acoustic guitars will "fall asleep" until they're played in again.
Yeah, but they wake up instantly, pretty much as soon as you pull one out of it's case, especially so if it sees the morning light on it's headstock.

old goat

Yeah, but they wake up instantly, pretty much as soon as you pull one out of it's case, especially so if it sees the morning light on it's headstock.
Mine is the opposite--I have to be careful to put it back into its case before the sun rises, or it dies.

Acoustic guitar players. If you go over to AGF and ask that question, the vast majority would say yes, I believe.
And most people don't believe in evolution. How about an actual authoritative source?

3 Mile Stone

Silver Supporting Member
I think the more important question is ... do speakers dream while they're asleep and is it in color or black & white?

veryzer

And most people don't believe in evolution. How about an actual authoritative source?
Check my original post. I wrote "It's generally believed that..." Note that I didn't say "Empirical evidence has thoroughly substantiated..." And guess what. I didn't even get Zogby to conduct a poll to estimate the percentage of acoustic guitarists who believe this. How's that for sheer nerve! :rolleyes:

veryzer

Typical of TGP, coming up with wierd reasons for things and no one states the obvious. Perhaps you just don't really remember how your amp sounded.
This, or a simple change in taste, is at least as likely as anything else.

ledzep618

If the cones got damp then maybe...seal them in a box with some silica gel packs for a week and I bet you notic a huge difference

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
This might just be the answer... ^^^

With speakers, it's dependent on whether you offer it a cup of coffee or tea as well...for instance, I've found my vintage Celestions prefer tea (they're British, of course) and it takes them awhile to come around, but if I offer one of my vintage Jensens (made in Chicago) a nice cup of black coffee, they come alive almost instantly... ;)

Top Bottom