Do tall Hercules-type stands offer any benefit over regular ones?

lowyaw

As opposed to a regular single guitar stand, are those stands any better? The ones like Hercules, where a guitar basically hangs from the neck in a locking top holder, and body just leans against rubberised "legs"?

GS414_B_727.jpg

Da Geezer

To me, they are more stable.
The old type where the body rests on the "fork" at the bottom are the worst IMO. If you don't set the guitar in them "just right", it can tip out. Not these......tremendous improvement

I recently purchased a triple unit, and am very happy with it

guitararmy

I used to use the regular $10 tripod stands, until someone knocked my guitar forward off of it.
The base of the Hercules stand is much more resistant to tipping because the legs are longer and it weighs more than the cheap ones...

paulitk

I have a Warmoth bodied Jazzmaster with a Nitro Finish, and when I was using a normal stand it didn't feel stable, and the the black rubber was leaching into the finish. I got a Hercules style stand, with no issues.

edro

I love em... Have singles and triple. Extremely stable...

I can't see trusting a several $K guitar to an $8 stand...

Saw an old Goldie neck pop happen up close... I'll pay for a strong stable stand...

Rhetorical Quiz:

How many times have you adjusted, readjusted your guitar in the old spinning horshoe stand only to go back and adjust it agaiin?
How may of you have used gaffer tape or the like to build up the ends of the horshoe to lessen the chance of the guitar sliding off.
How many times on break have you repeatedly looked at your guitar during break to make sure it's ok in the stand and not sliding to one side barely hooked on the strap button.

It only takes once to prove the value of a reliable stand... Doesn't matter if you have the stand or not.... you'll know...

You be either happy you bought one or puking because you didn't....

Your guitar is in an $8 case, isn't it? :)

LittleJerry

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with everything said above. Hercules stands are more stable and the locking arm has saved me more than once by grabbing the guitar when I was stretching to return it to the stand and didn't have things lined up properly. My dogs and kids use to knock over my guitars on the cheap $10 stands, but they have yet to do so with the Hercules stands due to their balance and stability. I gave one to my son's guitar teacher for the holidays a few years ago he still occasionally thanks for me the gift and tells me he now recommends the stands to his other students.

Kmaz

If Hercules himself had played guitar, he surely would have used Hercules stands. No better endorsement!

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Gold Supporting Member
I have a boatload of them. I will use nothing else (except for my 7-guitar rack).

0018g

How many times have you adjusted, readjusted your guitar in the old spinning horshoe stand only to go back and adjust it again?
How may of you have used gaffer tape or the like to build up the ends of the horseshoe to lessen the chance of the guitar sliding off.
How many times on break have you repeatedly looked at your guitar during break to make sure it's ok in the stand and not sliding to one side barely hooked on the strap button.

How many times have you watched your Les Paul do the cheap stand faceplant and see the head stock go in a different direction than the body? Cause I'm telling you, once is enough. That was the end of the old style stands for me.

edro

As I posted earlier, saw one up close... I was playing keys in that band, break, picked up my drink, turn around in time to see it across stage... I was sick and it wasn't even one of my Lesters... Amazing to see the bounce when all that tension is released...

Digidog

I really like those Hercules stands I have. I much prefer to hang my guitar on a stable tripod, than balancing it on a low back support.

Digidog

To me, they are more stable.
The old type where the body rests on the "fork" at the bottom are the worst IMO. If you don't set the guitar in them "just right", it can tip out. Not these......tremendous improvement

I recently purchased a triple unit, and am very happy with it

This! Very much this.

I also have the triple unit, and my only issue with it is that - when folded - it is kind'a bulky to carry around and not too easy to pack.

teefus

best stand for explorer styles. they are pretty stable really for other styles too.

Callaway 1

I really don't trust any of them totally all have drawbacks I have a couple of the Hercs I wrapped the little snapper jaws with cotton to avoid direct contact of the hard plastic with the finish of the headstock. Having had a Heritage knocked off a stand and instantly become a two piece my distrust runs pretty deep.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom