Do telecaster saddles affect tone?

huangyz16

Just swapped out the saddles in my American Special Tele.

From this:
IMG_8277.jpg

To this (Gotoh Compensated Brass Saddles):
BP-2325-008-w.jpg

I often hear people talking about the differences in intonation. But frankly, I was quite shocked at the difference in TONE.

The feel and acoustic tone of the guitar had changed drastically. I seemed to notice that the low mids and highs were reduced. It felt as significant as changing pickups though some difference may be due to different saddle heights.

I can't say which is a better tone. But I must say that the original one had a more traditional tele tone.

Anyone care to share your experience with different saddles? e.g. SLANT / GROOVED / MASTERY / EDGED

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I know that brass vs steel makes a big difference. Steel gives a nice chime on alder/rosewood Teles. Ash/maple benefits from brass.

musicman1

I have the same gtr and almost immediately swapped the stock saddles for brass Glendale intonating saddles and feel the same way.

I may go back to the stock Fender saddles and see if I can get the intonation a bit better as the gtr has been played for about 4 years now and is quite broken in.

I also liked the Fenders because they only require a small flat blade screwdriver for adjustments instead of allen keys.

huangyz16

Thanks for all the input..

Anyone noticed tone differences between brass saddles of different brands or styles?

Or which work best with Bigsbys?

candid_x

I'm contradicting an earlier post, but live and learn.

Upon recommendation from Chris at K-line Guitars, I tried a 5/8" (think I have that right, will have to check) brass barrel comp set and was surprised at the bolder, bigger sound. Unfortunately the company seems to have closed their doors, but maybe they're available elsewhere.

I like and use Callaham 'vintage enhanced' brass comp saddles too, which seem to sound a bit more focused.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
Saddles make a huge difference in everything from playability, snap, punch, bendability (is that a word?) and tone. To me, nothing can touch the vintage saddles. I've not tried one of the latest and greatest vintage saddles...with different metal and being compensated, but it's on the list to try soon.

Multicellular

I changed all the little screws once in a tele bridge because one had fallen out and was lost. Hadn't realized new ones were allens instead of screws and I didn't want them to be mismatched.

It did affect the sound. Had more sustain. It was not dramatic but I was a bit surprised the change would even be noticeable. I took one out to compare them. The new ones had 1) much more surface area to contact - they were less rounded and 2) were noticeably heavier.

That made more sense.

I can't remember the brand. This was ages ago.

C-4

I like the Rutters compensated brass saddles. They intonate perfectly for me.
What I do not like about stock barrel saddles is that the strings travel on the barrel edge all the time and that drives me crazy.

ripgtr

I kept the same strings!

It could very well be the saddles.

I tried raw vintage saddles on my strat and they were a touch brighter than the Fender/Fender stamped ones I had on there. I recorded several takes of the exact same lick before and after as part of the testing.
It was slight, but was certainly something you can hear.

K-Line

Vendor
I'm contradicting an earlier post, but live and learn.

Upon recommendation from Chris at K-line Guitars, I tried a 5/8" (think I have that right, will have to check) brass barrel comp set and was surprised at the bolder, bigger sound. Unfortunately the company seems to have closed their doors, but maybe they're available elsewhere.

I like and use Callaham 'vintage enhanced' brass comp saddles too, which seem to sound a bit more focused.
Those are CJ Tooling. He has not closed door just went to doing only OEM at this time. Jim is retired and he didn't want to work that hard:) They are 5/16" brass comp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom