1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Do the G.A.S. gods ever shine on you? Stories, please...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chucke99, May 24, 2011.

1. chucke99

chucke99 Member

It could be anything: You went to check out a guitar and it was in such a trashed state, you got it for almost nothing, only to clean and fix it up to have a beauty. Or, you happen across one of those eBay ads that are misspelled or so poorly described that nobody finds them, except you. Or you happened by a guitar sitting in a garbage can. Etc.

I had a recent experience along the lines of the first one: Guitar played horribly when I checked it out. After I cleaned it up and used a bit of DeoxIT on the pots, it turned into a stellar player.

2. 101Volts

101Volts Member

September 18th 2009, 39 years to the day after Jimi died. I stopped at a garage sale, Found a nice looking ES 335 copy and bought it, A practice amp, Some picks and strings, For $80. The 335 needed a few things - Refret, New nut, Switch tip and tuners (Since I broke one) But even after all that I don't have $150 in it right now if I don't value the hours I worked on refretting it and making the nut. And although the pickups leave a little more to be desired its one of my favorites.

Edit: Also, My dad once found a 1950 Gibson BR-9 practice amp for like $1 at a yard sale. It needed a new power cord, After that it fired right up.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  3. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

I had been GASing hard for a Les Paul Deluxe. The vintage options were too expensive and the reissues are just kinda blah.

I go into my local guitar shop that I love and start talking to the owners about my latest obsession and how I can't afford what I want.

He grins and pulls from the back a 1972 Les Paul Deluxe in cherry burst. Its gutted though....no hardware, routed in the top and bottom for a Floyd Rose :face palm, no nut, nothing. The neck is straight though, the frets are fantastic.

They were gonna restore it anyway back to it's original glory....we talked about it a bit, and it's gonna be MINE and refinished as a gold top! And since it needs so much work (which I know from experience it will be perfect) it's less than half the price of a 72 LP Deluxe normally!

Not everyday the guitar of your dreams falls into your lap at an affordable price.

4. Evitucci

Evitucci Member

In 2000 I picked up a Black Tolex Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553 for $400 bad pics and discription and I got it. Still have it killer amp!

5. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

When did this happen? Score of the decade!

6. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have all of these beat.... Sort of. I bought a 1955 tele in the tweed case with a tweed champ and the original bill of sale in the strings for 125$. All true... in 1982. I worked in a music store. I also bought a 1942 Gibson L-40 something arch top for $100 that same year.

7. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

PRS ce22 beautifully worn in - $350
    72 Vibrolux Reverb - $400
    Faded Gibson V / gutted but good shape - $free
    93 PRS EGII / broken neck joint - $free
    Marshall TSL100 2x12 / blown fuse - $free
    Marshall 1960a w/2" chunk missing from side - $free
    Script logo MXR Dist+ - $10 at a yard sale
    Vox King Wah - $25 at a HAMvention
    Silvertone 1484 $50 at same HAMvention

Aside from the egII, all were from when I worked at a music store owned by a drummer who didn't know sh!t about guitars and looked down on that part of the store as a necessary evil to part money from knuckle-headed guitar apes. He was going to chuck both Marshalls and the V in the dumpster but he let me take "that junk" home.

8. Dashface

Dashface Member

Had always wanted an Explorer LE from 1976 like The Edge's... Figured I would never be able to afford one. One day I was on ebay and there was one for sale. It was missing most of the hardware and had been split in half right at the heel... Nobody was bidding, really, but the break looked pretty okay to me. Ended up winning the auction. Got it home and found that the neck had more or less just come unglued - still fit tight as a drum. Slapped a bit o' hardware in and glued 'er up, and now I have a 76 Explorer LE for $1200 all told :D Even better, it meant I didn't have to live with gold hardware :)

[​IMG]

My other fav gear score happened like this: A buddy of mine who worked at a music store called me up, saying "Grab your Les Paul Deluxe and get in here". I had recently purchased a new Deluxe and wasn't a huge fan - it was okay, but not really my thing. I bring it in to the store, and he shows me a guitar he'd just got in on trade: A Historic R4 Black Beauty with Bigsby. Such a gorgeous guitar. Then the real kicker - he let me trade straight across, the Deluxe for the R4. Obviously a killer deal and I have never looked back :D

[​IMG]

9. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

I saw this Yamaha SA2200 at GC one day and I couldn't stop myself. I payed the full $2000.00 and took it home that day. About a week later I got buyers remorse over the price and the fact that I already had 12 guitars. I still really liked the guitar but I just couldn't see spending that much on another guitar that I wanted but really didn't need.

Weeks later I visited GC and it was still hanging on the wall listed at $1600.00. I was tempted but I still told myself no, I'm not doing this. Then about a month after that It was still there only this time it had been knocked down to $1200.00 and I couldn't turn it down. Since I had brought it back the first time within the 30 return policy it still sold as new with warranty and I even got the manager to give me 1/2 off on a nice SKB case for it. Including the savings on the case I got the guitar for $860.00 less than I payed for it the first time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

[​IMG]

A friend had this Anderson Hollow Cobra he wasn't bonding with. I thought it was the greatest electric guitar I had ever played. I was in love, and started saving towards buying it from him. IN the meantime, I got one of the last Anderson PowerBridges from the company (they no longer offer this option) because I was going to need it. The PowerBridge sat in my drawer for about a year and a half. It was gold, and the guitar's hardware was silver... I wondered if I'd ever use it.

I was about halfway to saving up for it... and the dude gave me the guitar in Feb of 09.

yes, he GAVE it to me.

I put the gold powerbridge on, swapped out the other hardware for Gold (even got genuine parts from TAGW so the tuners would still have the magic A on the back).

Is my story the best? What do I win? (No, the best is the 1500-dollar real 55 strat. Holy CRAP!)

11. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Just got a mint 2003 mim stratocaster delivered for 200 on craigslist.

12. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I'm a rep, so I spend a lot of time in music stores. A friend called one day and wanted me to find "A brown Tele like Jimmy Page's". There's a tall order, seeing that it's a mutt. Anyway that same week i walk into a store in the middle of nowhere, and there on the back wall is an original issue Rosewood Tele. It was in my grasp for $638 with original case and ashtray.

13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

DUDE! PICS! (I know, it was probably a long long time ago...)

14. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I was busking with one of my National resos (a new one, not vintage) and a woman I know said, "I didn't know you played those. I've got an old one my husband got, but never learned to play. Want it?"

So I am now the owner of a late '20's National tricone square neck. It needs a neck reset (pretty common) but it sounds fantastic and it's mine all mine. Of course, I'm a middling to fair lap player on a good day, but it's loads of fun.

15. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

When I worked in a guitar store, I usually had some of my gear around there, and one day I had one of my two EP-3 Echoplexes there and was fooling around with it with a store amp. This Swedish guy comes in and freaks out over the Echoplex and wants to trade it for this old Marshall he said he had. I said to bring the amp in one day and didn't think much about it.
    A couple weeks later he comes in with the amp, and still wants to trade.
    I think the trade is a bit unfair on his behalf, so I ask what he wants in cash besides the EP-3. He then tells me he have a $200 bill at the store and if I pay that he's fine.

So he grabbed the EP-3 and left the 66' Marshall JTM45 behind. :)

16. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I got my EBMM 20th Anniversary Silhouette on Ebay. I should have lost the auction because someone outbid me at the last second.... but since the winner was in Germany, and the listing clearly said USA only, I got a second chance. Heck of a deal too. It's currently my favorite guitar.

17. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

Someone had a Nash Firecaster strat for sale on the forum a few years ago and I thought "wow, that would be cool if they made a tele version". I didn't know that the body actually came from a real fire that caused the damage.

I googled and found out there actually was a Nash "firecaster" tele made somewhere out there. A few weeks later I was thinking about how much I wanted that guitar and started checking newly listed "buy it now" guitars on Ebay. To my complete shock it had just been listed within the hour for sale at a great price. It really was some kind of G.A.S. miracle.

18. foureyes

foureyes Member

Walked into a thrift store was looking inside a glass case an saw a realy dirty, pickups hanging off, black guitar. So I looked alittle closer and saw the words Neptune USA on the neck plate. I asked how much they wanted for it they said $50.00. Bought it took it home and cleaned it up and wow! It was a great playing guitar.
    [​IMG]
    After doing some research I figured out it wasn't realy made in the US but still a cool guitar.

19. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Still have it, my pal never played it and left it on permanent loan. The neck pickup was out for a rewind when I took these.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

I think of these two as gifts from the guitar gods, thanks to their godly emissaries.

First, my inheritance from my uncle.

[​IMG]

Then my 50th birthday gift (!!!)

[​IMG]

My feeling of being blessed by these instruments has never ebbed.