Do the newer Tworocks sound better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by raildog, Mar 4, 2008.

1. raildog

raildog Member

Do the newer tworocks sound better than the discontinued models?thanks,Scott

2. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

I started buying TRs in 99 and I've only missed a couple of models. I know without a doubt my Type III sounds better (to me) than previous models. I had 2 Emerald Pros, low gain, and high gain, and to me they were too smooth. Some people love that and they are killer at what they do. I prefer a little more edge if you will. I can dial this Type III in either way, I guess thats why I love it so much. Man this Type III is the Shitskies.

Bottom line is some discontinued models my sound and work excellent for you, especially at a good price.

3. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

True. But there have been many, many more CRSigs sold than Em.PRos. I'd venture a guess that had there been fewer CRSigs sold, they'd be as hard to come by as the Em.Pro.

4. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I thought my regular emerald sounded really good.
    Just traded into a Onyx Sig, so looking forward to that!

5. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I owned a Topaz several years back and more recently owned a CRS v1. The later smoked the former.

6. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Steve, I don't think there is a right or wrong for which is better. Some folks like different tones. For the RF tones the Epro is great. What does TR have new that gets those RF tones better than the Epro?

7. raildog

raildog Member

Hi, I should have been more specific, I recently played a emerald 50 as well as a K&M custom no reverb, and thought the amps sounded good but not great, probably needed more time with them, this was through a 2/12 tworock cab. Kinda bursted my bubble and was very curious if the Jet sounded better than these two amps? I am really more into John Mayers tone like on the track who do you think i was, It's difficult at best to buy amps not being able to play them first but then when i did play one I was not blown away, this was a emerald50 not pro. I really liked the opal demo on youtube but have no idea how it compares to the two i mentioned above.I want a more organic tone which I got out of my d13 cj11 but the volume was not there. maybe tworocks not for me but I would love to try a jet. I am only a hobbiest with a terrible disease called sucker for great tone!!! One other question What's the most economical tworock out there as far as the different models go? this place is a deep well of knowledge but also confusing at times. thank you,Scott

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I've tried most of the old models, and the classic I and sig v2 (and 1). the only thing i'd say that is probably pretty universally *better* is the reverb. TR really nailed that when they went to the sig design with the separate power supplies. I wouldn't make fun of someone if they preferred the older reverb, but i'd be surprised if there are a lot of such people out there.

apart from that, the newer models have been evolving on the old designs, so there are differences. they tend to have more upper-end clarity and a more present bass without getting mushy. whether it justifies the $$ is up to you of course.

9. Mike

Mike Member

That won't happen, but nostalgia is fun.

What does a 100 watt Glaswerks go for? And what is the availability? Also, if you missed this thread, you may want to check in....

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=361138

This amp, $5500 for 100 watts, $5000 for 50 watts like a Glaswerks. Built by a company that has been in business for 10 years, and sold through an international dealer network. This is not a sideline to augment their day jobs. If you want one of these I can get one in a week. Apples and oranges. Two-Rock is and has been at the top of the heap, and that's not about to change any time soon. I know Brandon and Gary and they make great amps. But you are not making a fair comparison, regarding price, performance, availability or support.

Mike

10. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

ahh, the em 50 wouldn't be my first recommendation for mayer tones. the custom would be closer. i found my original custom (no reverb) pretty close in tone to the sig v1, and i would have thought the custom line would be closer to mayer's sound. the opal has a faster response to any of those, and has a similar clarity to the more recent models. the lead channel on the opal is more aggressive though, and has some marshally qualities.

11. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I don't disagree with your comparisons, but that statement assumes that TR wants to keep going down the RF path.

As the OP's refined question suggests, there are a lot of people attracted to Mayer's clean tones, which TR has definitely staked out a claim on.

12. Mike

Mike Member

They have an impressive breadth of models, one of which covers the RF territory. I've been saying for years that Bill had that one down cold. The Emerald Pro is not going to be re-issued because it does not represent the best that Two-Rock has to offer. It took Ultrasound 5 years to sell 5 of them, most of which sold during a recent uber-thread.

If you want the RF thing, we can do it. If you want to get in line for some other amp, then fine. But to say that Two-Rock has either gone backwards, or downhill, etc., is just defying all of the evidence to the contrary. If it's not YOUR preference based on some model you may have played, then fine. But I think it's a little careless to generalize about a company and its entire product line based on isolated experiences.

The reason they have several different models is because -- they are DIFFERENT, LOL! So let's keep this all in perspective.

Mike

13. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Let me chime in here on this one issue. I have spent several days in the studio with Eric in the last few weeks working on a rig.
    I put Eric together with Carol Ann. Eric does not have 2 Carol Ann's (never had two). He currently has one.
    Voodoo, who said he had two? Just curious.

If anyone has said that he has more than one CA amp it is a misunderstanding, or someone just said that he did on a board somewhere...but he does not.

We listened to, and he liked the prototype Two Rock that was in town. In the recording process as of right now it still looks like 2 Marshalls and two Twins are getting air time. Nothing more, nothing less.
    That is not unusual though as most of the time that Eric had a ODS he used the Marshall in that slot.
    The slot in question is NEVER an amp to cover more than one of the three spaces in the rig.
    The Twins will always be there for the clean stereo rig.
    There is usually a Marshall in the dirty rhythm spot but that is where the SSS used to live, where the CA would be in the rig if he was currently using it, or any other amp that would do that tone. The issue is that it is very hard to find a modern amp that takes Fuzz pedals well consistently. The Fuzz Face is a big part of that Rhythm tone slot.
    There is always a Marshall in the lead slot.
    He also had his old Dumble SSS at the studio last week as well. Nice amp, just very very loud. Actually THREE verys is more like it. Very very very loud.

I had never heard a Sterling but had owned an Emerald Pro years ago. the EP did sound incredible.
    Since I have no point of reference between the Proto and the Sterling I can't do that comparison but I will say that if the amp that I had last week is any indication of where Two Rock is going then they are on the right track in a huge way.
    I will have an opportunity to play a Type 3 this week and am excited about that one.

Tag: Did you say you had tried a type 3? Would like to hear both yours and Steve's opinions on that one.

I would love to hear a Glasswerks sometime but haven't had a chance to do so.

I sold my Dumble ODS with skyliner eq about 8 years too early...the prices are nuts now. Would I still sell it? Sure I would. Only now I would use the cash as a down payment on the land I want to build on instead of on a car.

14. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I am always interested in hearing an opinion on tone Tag! Be sure and compare with the verb off.
    I am looking forward to trying the type 3 with a Eclipse in the loop for Reverb and delay.
    You are up late Man. I am in Europe this week. What is it 3:45am where you are!?

15. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

The 'repair' was to replace the mounting screws for the head cabinet.
    He got it back last Friday. If it got the boot, it happened pretty quickly you found out before me....LOL !!
    This place is too funny.

16. Strat

Strat Member

Care to dial it down a little bud ? That's just too harsh.

Posts of this nature/attitude reflect the general nastiness on TGP of late that has driven so many respected and learned folks away and leave us with what - your opinion ?

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

99% of this stuff is COMPLETELY subjective. The other 1% is suspect, too.

18. pharmx

pharmx Member

Tag, will Blackcreek let you bring in your E. Pro to do an A/B test? Would definitely be interested in your opinion of the type 3. While you're at it you should test out the one I have that was modded as well.

19. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Hi Mike, I got to ask you , which new two rock for RF dumble tones? I would have bought it. The Epro is the best RF dumble two rock has. I talked w/TR about the reissue, looks like a NO GO. Too bad...

20. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I think this is the point. Two Rock has made a conscious decision to move away from "Dumble land" and I applaud them for that. Look at all of the other builders you mention that are falling all over themselves to get to "Dumble land." That is so last year IMO. Two Rock is on the right track and are breaking away from the competition IMHO.

That is not to say that the Glaswerk and Carol Ann are not great amps. In fact, I sold my Kimock and bought a CA OD2100. But when I want to play clean I keep returning to the Classic Reverb for the beefiest Fender type cleans that I've ever heard. (Tag, you'll mention your Brunos about here and I agree with you. Brunos are GREAT ****ing amps). It's like crack (I imagine).

I've owned the Onyx (twice), the Jade, Topaz, CRSigv2, Kimock, and the Classic Reverb. I've played most other models including the Em.Pro. To me, there is no comparison and I'd have to agree with Snider on this. The new generation TRs have it going on and are better sounding than the older ones to me. They are different, but better IMHO. If the Ford sound or other Dumble tones is what you are after, the newer TRs may disappoint, although I've found many Dumble type tones in my Classic Reverb. I guess that I've come to realize after spending mucho $$$$ on Dumble type amps, that the Dumble type tone is not my favorite. To each his own.

I may just go back to my Mesa Mark IIC+ and BF Twin Reverb, get some nice pedals, and forget about all this stuff. I'll surely have more time to play.