Do the police in the USA really just stop at the County Line.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MrAstro, Feb 26, 2015.

1. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

So do they just stop chasing you when you are in a police chase - or is it just a Smokey and the Bandit type thing? :huh

Always seemed a bit unbelievable to me....

2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

They hand the chase off to the state police (around here, that's the CHP or CHiPs). If the CHP aren't on it yet, they local guys stay until they take over. But there's usually a helicopter involved by that time that stays on the chase. In any case, they're not outrunning the helicopter or the radio...

3. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

lol, when I read the thread title my first thought was Sheriff Bufford T. in hot pursuit.

No, they won't just stop at the county line. They'll radio ahead to the next county and get help from their police. They may handover the lead to the next county's police. I doubt they'd just drop off and go back home, since crimes were committed in their jurisdiction. Probably depends on the crime too.

4. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

That's so disappointing. How am I going to take the Dukes of Hazard seriously even again :cry:

I really did wonder though :)

5. Peteyvee

I bet you thought you could jump a '69 Dodge Charger like that and be able to drive it after you landed too... :D

6. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

7. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

You probably could if you distributed the weight with a hound dog in the passenger seat.

It happens.

[​IMG]

8. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, the one flaw in an otherwise very believable movie.

9. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

what does he mean by that last line?
    seems pretty racist the whole conversation.

"hey boy wheres sheriff brandford?"

"for some reason you sounded taller on the radio"

"what is this world coming too?"

10. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I had a crush on Sally Field.

11. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

I don't know about other locations, but around here, cops can go a certain distance into neighboring counties and they still have the power to arrest you or investigate a crime.

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Rules and procedures are going to vary around the country, from state to state, county to county to city etc., but I think it's generally true that police don't have to give up a chase just because they reach the border of their jurisdiction. And as said, handoffs are common.

13. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Around here we don't have 'Counties' - actually we do have municipalities and shires etc but the police are either state based or federal based here. Most of our states are enormous. Even a middle sized state like NSW is bigger than Texas.

So it's kind of rare to see a police chase run over a state line. I did see one recently but they had helicopters and the other state police waiting just like someone else said here. The difference is it would be a lot less common because we don't have counties every few miles.

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Mainly all you get when you reach the County Line is Even More cops; at least double. They've been on the radio to the next guys, who normally have nothing better to do than get over there to intercept you.

Strange they chose Georgia to base this in in one way. The Counties (as many of you know) in Georgia are crazy small - way smaller on average than any other decent sized state.

You could just about jump the Trans Am from one County, across the next, and into a third. :^)

15. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Stop at the County Line during a pursuit?

Bwahahaha.

Actually it varies with different depts. and locales but we had a concordance with different Counties and the State of PA and NY if there was a Felony involved...

16. russoloco

russoloco Member

Not in California as all sworn peace officers have jurisdiction in the entire state according to my pop the cop of 26 years.

17. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I liked the world better when I thought they might have to stop. :spit

18. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

This, and in the county where I live the cops will not chase into the next state.

19. Peteyvee

yes, but they don't have the gas to chase someone all over the state, especially if they started with half a tank and the suspect has a full tank. There's something to be said for a fresh car chasing a tired car after a handoff. I liked the recent one where the guy though he could get away by going over the GrapeVine...his car started overheating, while the fresh CHP cars just cruised up and waited for his engine to blow up. As I recall, it didn't take long either...

20. russoloco

russoloco Member

Oh it'd be silly to chase them over the state. The chippys usually do handoffs at each district. I miss ponch and john.