• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Do the smaller Marshall DSLs do the “boosted green Channel” thing?

White Limo

Hey guys. I have a DSL 40 and live in the green crunch channel with boosts to dirty it up. I kind of want to add a smaller DSL combo either the 20 or the 5, but their “clean channel” doesn’t have the crunch mode. I’m just curious - how comparable is this channel to the green crunch in the 40 and 100 if you up the gain pot? Does it sound similar boosted

I don’t have any place around here to try one out.

Thanks in advance.

NatGardner

I have the DSL20cr right now as a grab and go tuber. With the classic channel gain on 8, master dimed on 10 or 20 w mode it breaks up nice. Think Angus, Highway to Hell. That tone goes to BB King clean ish with the guitar volume dropped to 6-7. The red channel picks up from there. I set the guitar volume to 6 -7 then dial the Red channel's gain and master to sound just like the classic channel with the guitar volume wide open. If I open the guitar up on the red channel I have a great GnR type tone. That completes my personal gain spectrum of BB king to Slash. I keep a EQ in the loop for a mid bump solo boost that I can use at any gain level I choose.

I don't feel the need with this amp to boost the front end
I just work the included footswitch and my guitar knobs.

The dsl 20 green or classic channel has less gain than the 40 green, but in a good way imo.
The dsl 20 red channel is like the dsl 40 red channel 1 and the shared tone shack is perfectly shared imo

Last edited:
Be careful with this...no clue about the combos off the top of my head, but I know the little dsl20h does no have the crunch mode at all. Some of the amps are like, clean and ultra for some stupid reason and completely skip what most people rave about in the green/classic channel crunch mode.

White Limo

Be careful with this...no clue about the combos off the top of my head, but I know the little dsl20h does no have the crunch mode at all. Some of the amps are like, clean and ultra for some stupid reason and completely skip what most people rave about in the green/classic channel crunch mode.
That’s what I was trying to figure out. I hate the actual clean channel on my 40c. Super bassy and weak.

I wasn’t sure if the 20 and the 5 had some hybrid of the clean and crunch on the 40 or just a replica of the clean channel.

krik

Following.

That crunch button brings something that really can't be dialed in otherwise on the DSL 50 and 100 heads. Been wondering if that particular tone is anywhere to be found on a "non-crunch-button" DSL...

Trending Topics