Do these qualify as vintage guitars?

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Jaguarguy, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Yes, most certainly. They're actually beyond vintage. I'd go so far as to call them 'antique'. They're 40 to 50 years old. At the time those were made, cars that were 40 to 50 years old were considered antique cars by the DMV.

Guitars manufactured in 1980 or later are really now the new 'vintage', and those of us who own them find that we've become vintage guitar owners, whether we like it or not, even if we don't choose to play the vintage game and don't actively seek out 30+ year old guitars.

2. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

The people saying those are vintage are just as wrong as those saying they aren't. It's silly for people to argue that the term is meaningless and then certify its use in a particular instance. If what is meant is that yes, you can call them vintage, then yes, of course you can and more people (me included) will agree with you than criticize you. People call Norlin Gibsons and 70s Strats vintage. The truth is, yours certainly aren't (numerous earlier examples abound) and certainly are (they're from way back in the production history of those models).

3. Drew816

Drew816 Member

Bad a$$ as heck, yes, no debating that. “vintage” people will argue to define the meaning of the term, 25 years in some circles, 30, 40 who cares.

I expected to see mid-90s guitars and that you could debate. My 82 Dan Smith era Strat is vintage to me (I bought it new in 83) but there little doubt my ‘55 Roundup or ‘59 Jazzmaster would FULLY qualify. ;)

4. TANFK

TANFK Member

I would bet the "vintage" definition is directly related to the age of the person you asked...

Personally my line is 60s and older- but thats cause I was around in the 70s and that was no golden age for electric guitars... Music? Yup. Recording/studio gear? Yup. Analog synths? Absolutely. But guitars? Nope. The original pursuit being inspired by newer guitars not being as good... Now, newer guitars are crafted as nice as you want. And the collector market went nuts when all the teenagers from the 60s and 70s, got 401Ks and six figure incomes and started reliving their childhood. By now, the whole concept of vintage is full of influences that don't necessarily have anything to do with each other... And the word seems to add a zero to any sale price...

So as for the OP- Nope not vintage. But should you have posted this thread? Absolutely!

5. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

There isn't a fixed cutoff point for vintage. It should change every year. Don't confuse vintage with valuable. A price guide will tell you how valuable your guitars are. (I hope the custom is at least worth a bit since I'll have one to sell soon.) I think what is or isn't considered vintage might vary with the genre and have to do with when the music made was considered vintage. By those criteria, vintage for blues would be 50s and earlier, rockabilly 50s, beat music and soul 60s, classic rock and prog 70s. Those eras dictate the sounds that genuine period stye bands aim at and it's not a bad rule of thumb. Most of us playing those styles play period correct instruments made more recently with a sprinkling of older stuff, at least on stage where you can't afford a breakdown.

6. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Wow, 2 beautiful Gibson right there, no matter what you want to call them.

My SRV is one of the first few hundred (maybe less) made, and I (according to many, incorrectly) consider it vintage. My Lowden acoustic was made at the old factory, before they shut down for a period, moved, and doubled their prices (and output), and for that reason, I think of my O32c as a 'vintage' Lowden. Certainly not the pedegree of Van Morrison's '74, but...

Maybe it's all wishful thinking on my part, but I feel there are more factors at play than just a date on a calender which determines the appropriate use of the term 'vintage'.

7. photoguy

photoguy Member

Depends whether you're the buyer or seller.
    :)
    j/k they look like great guitars, and I would refer to them as vintage.

8. Non-Musical Hack

Non-Musical Hack Member

I think anything dated before the newest classic rock is vintage.

Nirvana and Green Day are now considered classic rock. I wouldn't consider a 1990s guitar vintage. I would consider 1980 guitars (as much as most of them suck) as vintage.

Those guitars are beyond vintage and beautiful.

Your post is more of a humblebrag.