Do Two Rock's sound their price difference vs similar amps (given some diminishing returns)

bertramladner

Silver Supporting Member
No hating on expensive please, this is meant to be an objective question, not a commentary on other aspects IYDM

tylerfreak

Silver Supporting Member
Go play one. Your question as to value will be answered. The fact they sell out quickly pretty much speaks for itself I think. I also think there are different models for different players, and they can be picky about speaker compliment. If you pick the right one for you and match the right speaker I’d bet you’d find something in their lineup that speaks to you as a player and sounds as good as anything you’ve played…or at least close to it. Best of luck-

THiwaTT

I had a Studio Pro 22 when they first came out and I loved it - fantastic sound at all volume levels, and very hi-fi. The pickup loading option was really versatile when plugging straight in. Had a great amount of compression, and was just smooth.

It was about 2x the cost of a Deluxe Reverb Reissue at the time for just the head, but I feel like it was like an ideal blackface style amp for me. All the Fenders I had played at the time never made me say wow, where as the Two Rock always made me smile when I plugged into it.

ProfRhino

many Two Rocks sound fantastic, they all are built very well. :aok
but the same is true for many / most other boutiques in that price range. :dunno

without any doubt, Ceriatone win the bang-for-the-handwired-buck award by a country mile, the difference to the prestige brands is subtle at best.

to me, the actual circuit matters more than the brand - in this class duds are rare.

ymmv,
Rhino

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
They do increase in value over time, so a reasonable investment.

If you get one with a lot of features; cascading gain, tube buffered FX loop, contour, added EQ controls, expression ... you can get into a lot of different tone zip codes. If you can get three amps worth of tones, one might justify 3x the price.

Huge iconic cleans (or dirty cleans); is that's why most people like the most. I just found this video on the Redplate forum, comparing Redplate, Fuchs and Two Rock. Queued to the Two Rock (even though the Fuchs is shown in the background). I think the Two Rock is the best of the three.

Gilky

Platinum Supporting Member
I got my first TR on here, a 10th Anni 50 watt, over 10 years ago now. I liked it so much I tried a bunch of different TRs; they were all cool but they all came and went. Bring your guitar and try a few, when you find the one grab it and don't look back, you'll be glad you did. They provide such a tremendous foundation.

LaXu

Two Rocks cost between 3-5K euros in EU. Import costs and VAT aside, that’s a lot more than many far more complex US made amps. If they manage to sell at those prices, good for them but I just don’t see them being so special that I would pay that extra.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member

I've been following Two Rock used prices over the last 3 - 4 years. Yes, they have easily gone up 30% - 40% from 3 years ago, from what I've seen. Sure, everything has gone up due to the pandemic, but 30% - 40% is a pretty big jump. I paid $1700 for my Sensor, including tax and shipping. They are easily $2700 all-in today.

IIR, there was a significant jump in new prices as well, a year or two ago. Of course, this will effect the used market.

I don't think that this is unusual with high end gear. I know a number of people who buy R8, R9 and signature Custom Shop Les Pauls, based on their appreciation. They are extra-collectible in that they go up a little bit every year. Most of these guitars, in existence, are worth a lot more than their original cost. Even before the pandemic, this was true. Sometimes it pays to be a big spender, and a lot of people who buy these guitars know more about money than guitar playing.

Last edited:

ProfRhino

They do increase in value over time, so a reasonable investment.

If you get one with a lot of features; cascading gain, tube buffered FX loop, contour, added EQ controls, expression ... you can get into a lot of different tone zip codes. If you can get three amps worth of tones, one might justify 3x the price.

Huge iconic cleans (or dirty cleans); is that's why most people like the most. I just found this video on the Redplate forum, comparing Redplate, Fuchs and Two Rock. Queued to the Two Rock (even though the Fuchs is shown in the background). I think the Two Rock is the best of the three.

three radically different amps ... :dunno
the Redplate scores with its various switchable clean options - bet I could dial in the drive channel a lot better. going by my ADD (not a classic Dumble) and my OTS (very similar circuit).
the TR is a Classic Reverb, a dedicated clean amp, plus it's 100W iirc, and has the clear advantage of the 410s.
the Fuchs finally has the best drive sound by a mile in this clip, but why didn't the guys even try to fathom out its clean options ? Absolutely did not care for its reverb though (not because it's digital, but because it didn't sound good).

if it were my choice, I would probably pick the Redplate (50 or 100) with a 410 cab.
going by that clip, and my real world experience.
but before making a final decision, I would try to learn the other two a little better ...
guess both are good for a few surprises.

ymmv,
Rhino

Wyzard

Neither Here Nor There
Gold Supporting Member
I thought that the Fuchs drive sound with the Les Paul deserved a place among the worse things I've heard this year.

DV52

Two Rocks cost between 3-5K euros in EU. Import costs and VAT aside, that’s a lot more than many far more complex US made amps. If they manage to sell at those prices, good for them but I just don’t see them being so special that I would pay that extra.
So when you tried out the Two Rocks which ones did you try out and what were you comparing them to?

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
No hating on expensive please, this is meant to be an objective question, not a commentary on other aspects IYDM
At the time (10yrs ago) I loved all that I had (SP35, Jet, Custom Reverb v.2 50W, Amethyst).

I enjoyed them while I had them but slowly lost interest in them, so away they went.

For me at the time, they were worth it.

I would absolutely love to find a 100W 30th Anniversary and would pay over-market price for it.

ZIDkIwp.jpg

p5fCGYY.jpg

davidespinosa

Gold Supporting Member
New Two-Rocks went up in price fairly recently.
So maybe they do appreciate !

Studio Sig head old price: $2700
Studio Sig head new price: $3600

Classic Reverb Signature head old price: $4300
Classic Reverb Signature head new price: $5200

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
Had a Traditional Clean 40/20 combo for awhile. Nothing bad to say about it but I liked my Super Reverb Headstrong clone just as much or more at 1/3 the price(bought used for $1200)so I flipped out of the Two Rock. I’d like to try a 100 watt TC some day so my mind is still open to being gobsmacked, but the 40 watt combo was pretty comparable to a good Fender of similar wattage IMO.

bertramladner

Silver Supporting Member
I got my first TR on here, a 10th Anni 50 watt, over 10 years ago now. I liked it so much I tried a bunch of different TRs; they were all cool but they all came and went. Bring your guitar and try a few, when you find the one grab it and don't look back, you'll be glad you did. They provide such a tremendous foundation.
Where would one try a Two Rock, I didn't know they were in retail stores

Trending Topics

Top Bottom