Do USA Standard strats stay in tune with a lot of tremolo use?

CubanB

Like dive bombs? The kind of things you'd do on an Ibanez or Jackson?

I've been thinking of doing a partscaster, or maybe just going with a standard strat.

Would it stay in tune as much as a FR system or are they only stable under light use? I'm also considering having a FR body, but with locking tuners and no locking nut. For ease of changing tunings etc. But just to keep things simple.. do standard strats with the 2 point trem stay in tune well?

swiveltung

I'm thinking light use and decked they are pretty stable. Not so deep diving. They also feel a lot different than like a FR. I think the "radius of bend" on the FR is larger creating deeper dives.... not sure... feels that way. I cant stand FR's but guys who deep dive don't usually do std strat trems. My FR attempts were always out of tune though.

buddastrat

I have better luck with the six screw and slotted tuners. I do Floyd type stuff too and it stays. But you can't just yank on it and expect it to behave like a Floyd. Takes a little practice/skill and setup. I like the challenge and it trips people out when they see it can be done.

megawzrd

Silver Supporting Member
No.

There is a reason the Double locking system was invented. There is only so much you can do when you have additional pivot points over which the string can move over and create friction. No matter how good the nut is cut and lubed there will always be slight deviation from tuning under heavy use. The only way you can approach FR territory is by minimizing the friction at the nut, i.e. roller nut and using locking tuners.

Non locking 2 point systems really are not much better than 6 point tremolos in terms of stability. They both have the same short falls when the rest of the guitar is the same.

I am proud of my abilities to setup a traditional 2 point or 6 point tremolo system for floating and be able to get away with some pretty decent tremolo use. But a double locking system is on another level. I don't try and kid myself.

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
Standard strat setups? No, 6 post or 2 post, can't dial it out of its core design...

proprietary non-locking floating tremolos? G&L, EBMM, Gotoh 510s w/ locking tuners? Yes.

Soothsayer

(Paul)
Gold Supporting Member
Op go and play an American Standard for yourself and see if it will work...

Judas68fr

A well set up strat will stay in tune. It's all about angles, lubrification and tension. On mine I can bring the whammy bar down to the body, release it, and it's still in tune. I haven't tried doing that all night long though.

Mikhael

In my experience, no. I've had three luthiers here in Austin try to set up a Strat vibrato to stay in tune, and it just doesn't happen. I've got a Wilkinson vibrato, with a Graphtech nut and Sperzel locking tuners, and it does pretty well. Never perfect, though.

ShadowCanAm

Mine doesn't stay in tune that well ( 88 Amstand). I don't use it much..or never...but I have played with it just to see how it would do. Other than a locking unit , the only thing that works well is the Wilkinson ball bearing nut that they use on the Jeff Beck strat.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
IMO dive bombing doesn't really do anything a big bend or even mild trem use doesn't do. I suppose a string could slip on the peg or catch on some crummy old string tree, but you can address those concerns. Maybe really extreme use might see claws changing their position and skewing things a bit.

The nice thing about Floyds is they are almost perfect no matter what you do. Most strats will always have slight but livable movement with at least the G string.

dohmar

A well set up strat will stay in tune. It's all about angles, lubrification and tension. On mine I can bring the whammy bar down to the body, release it, and it's still in tune. I haven't tried doing that all night long though.
+1 this.
OP, I built a partscaster but instead of using the standard fender bridge, I got a wilkinson vs401. It keeps in tune even when I smash the bar. You probably won't be able to do extreme stuff on it (floyd rose was build for that specifically) but it'll perform better than the stock bridge. Also consider getting a tusq xl nut and have it setup by a pro...

-D

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
My Japanese one from the late '80's stays in tune just fine with crazy whammy use. American units? Dunno.

Trending Topics