Do you actually wait 24 hours to open a guitar box after shipping?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pongo, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Pongo

Pongo Member

I'm wondering if anybody actually does this, or whether the warning sticker you get from various shippers is just placed there to cover their own backsides?

I mean, sure, if my guitar were shipped from a desert to rain forest (or vice-versa) I might be more cautious, but "24-hour acclimation" isn't something I'm cautious about, nor is it anything anybody else I know really stresses over. you?

2. Madison

Madison Member

Seems like good practice if the box is super cold, but I've never waited. Got a guitar from SW 3 weeks ago, arrived in 70 degree temp. The note on the box almost pleaded to wait 24 hours before opening. What!? I tore it open and was playing it in 5 minutes.:banana

3. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    depends entirely on the time of year and the climate difference the instrument has travelled through

4. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Supporting Member

I let it sit for quite a while in the winter usually overnight. Summer maybe an hour or two if it's been super hot out. If it's a super thin nitro I would be more cautious on both fronts.

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

For me also it would depend on climatic circumstances, the kind of guitar and its finish.

wgs1230, strumminsix, nasonm and 3 others like this.
  6. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

7. Fro68

Fro68 Silver Supporting Member

This

Daniel Clasby likes this.
  8. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

9. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Yes. Didn't once and *crackity crack* went the nitro.

strumminsix, RC Mike and Pongo like this.
  10. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Member

I live in Michigan. I open them immediately during the spring, summer and fall. During the winter months I open poly finished electric guitars immediately. I let nitro finished electric guitars and all acoustic guitars sit until the box reaches room temperature. That’s usually around 2-3 hours. I’ve followed this system Since 2005 with no issues. I’ve bought many guitars online since then.

11. ixnay

ixnay Member

24 hours is a bit much. I had a Gibson R7 delivered when it was about 5 degrees. I brought it in, took the case out of the box, let it sit for 3-4 hours before opening the case. No issues when I opened it.

12. kakev

kakev Member

I would not wait that long. That’s overdoing it. During transport temp might be minus something but you would not postpone your gig to the next day either because of gear needing to acclimate overnight would you?

13. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

How long would it take you to warm up?

14. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    No, never, and not even one has ever burst into flame. Amazing. :dunno

Pongo likes this.
  15. ThePunisher

ThePunisher Member

I do when I buy pretty expensive custom shops. Production lines I wait a few hours but never 24.

16. brobar

brobar Member

^^^ this ^^^

From experience I can say I've never had an issue with ones I did acclimate for 24-48 hours. However the one I didn't let acclimate from the cold... non-factory checking galore. Now that's not to say that some of it didn't happen in transit and it just got worse when I opened it, but I could clearly see checking when I opened it and even more checking just a few hours later. It wasn't one of those cases where I could clearly see it checking right before my eyes (though some people have claimed that). But I do know 3 or 4 hours later there was more checking than there was when I first opened it.

So since it has only happened to the one guitar I didn't acclimate, call me superstitious but I acclimate all of mine during colder winter months. Patience is a virtue and I think patience can be rewarded in this case.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  17. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

I do because its just one more day. I just bought an arch top from New Jersey and it was shipped to California. There was a difference in the temperatures so I waited.

What I'll usually do is wait until the shipping box is the same temperature to the touch as a a table/hard surface in the room. I'll open the the shipping box pull the guitar (in the case) out of the shipping box. I'll open the guitar case once the exterior of the case reaches the same touch temperature as a table/hard surface in the room.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Steadfastly likes this.
  18. dankingjr

dankingjr Member

Never have and never will.

19. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

I have not owned a nitro guitar yet and try to avoid them. Look where I live. I like my guitars to be in as pristine a condition as possible and would hate to have that nitro crack on them. So, I take a cold guitar and let it warm up a bit (an hour tops) before playing it and that's it.

20. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Nope. I do wait, depending on the instrument (solidbody with poly paint, solidbody with nitro paint, acoustic?), the days temperature, what season it is, how far and from where it has travelled from. For instance I'm in Western Washigton. From California in the Spring? Meh... It never faced any real extremes coming up the I-5 corridor, and it's spent the mild delivery day in the UPS van... I could open it immediately if I wanted to. From the Northeast in the Winter. I definitely give it a good 6 to 8 hours for a nitro electric, and possibly overnight for an acoustic depending on what the weather's been like across the country, delays, did it sit in the warehouse all weekend, etc.

Daniel Clasby likes this.