Do you block your tremolo?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RDM, Feb 12, 2008.

1. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Do you block your trem? If so....do you just jame some wood on both sides of it?

2. DKing

DKing Member

I take wood shims and jam them in both sides, mark them off, take them out chop them off and put them back in. They stay in tune great.

Good luck.

3. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I used to. A single hardwood block behind the trem block. But I stopped doing it about 10 years ago. I've found that if you just tighten the bridge down and set it flat, with all five springs, it really isn't much of an issue and seems to retain the classic Strat tone a little better. That said, I think I would still block it if I tended to break strings. But, for reasons no one seems to fathom (I play plenty hard), I almost never break a string (maybe 2 or 3 in the past 15 years or so).

4. Ray

Ray Member

You could just tighten the spring retainer until the trem rests flush on the body. It has the same effect as blocking, but you can still use the trem for down bends if you wanted to, and if you break a string it stays in tune.
    Ray

5. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

I used to, and then I decided I wanted to play some songs with tremolo. So now I have it unblocked with the claw tightened enough to pull the bridge against the body and resist at least a 1 1/2 step bend (I like unison bends without the other strings going flat).

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Thanks for the tips!

7. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

Yes, always - except my Bigsby :)

8. Memorex

Memorex Member

I have my Strat tightened up so the bridge touches the body. I blocked the Kahler on my LP Custom so it bends flat only. They return to pitch better, and don't go wildly out of tune if I break a string.

9. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I also have all 5 springs installed and the 2 screws tightened all the way. No way the bridge is moving.

10. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Member

I float 'em all

Contrary to popular belief, a floating bridge will give a more "open", "airy" and fuller tone..a more "stratty" tone. Block your trem and you lose quite a bit of that "stratty" tone, it starts to sound duller, darker and more compressed, playability is also improved with a floating trem...IMO.

11. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Nope. Never.

-Austin

12. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Hell no. I have fixed bridge guitars for that. A trem on a guitar is an option to be used, IMO. I don't overuse it, but gosh it sounds good for chords shimmer, bent note flutters and occasional antics.

13. Number8

Number8 Member

No, why would I want a tremelo if I was going to block it?

14. japhy

japhy Member

I agree 100% . I almost never use my trem , but I keep it floating for those very reasons.

15. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

I don't block. If I am worried about tuning or string breakage I play something other than my Strat (Tele, LP). TO me, the magic of the Strat is in that almost undiscernable kerang that's in the background all the time from the springs ringing, and blocking kills that. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it ;-)

Peace...

16. burner

burner Member

I've never owned a guitar with a tremolo on it.

I set up my Strats with the bridge flush so it doesn't go out of tune if I break a string.
    Some with 3 springs, some with 5.
    As long as it can't move it doesn't really matter to me.

17. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

Yes, I block every single tremolo I have. I have used everything to block them over the years. I've used a piece of scrap wood, to a broken wooden clothespin, to even a plastic guitar knob. If anyone can hear the difference between what you use to block the tremolos then you have much better ears than I do. As long as the material you using to block the tremolo is a hard material it should work just fine.

18. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

Couldn't agree with you more here, in fact I just readjusted my strat back to float tonight and the tone improved considerably. I had it adjusted flush and tight for the last few months thinking that would help sustain and the fullness of the tone, but the reality was just the opposite. And the slinkyness came back making bends MUCH easier.

19. Zero

Zero Member

I have only Floyd Rose/Ibanez Edge bridges and blocked half for dive-only. I have various reasons but mainly, there are some days when I want to tune it and play quickly. To get a floating trem in tune with fine tuners can take some time, if you want accuracy.

20. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Member

I prefer a trem to be slightly floating. I have my Warmoth Strat (with Am Std bridge) and I love it as a floater!