Do You Buy Same Exact Pedals Your Favorite Pro Players Use?

The thing is, I could play through David Gilmour's rig and sound nothing like him. You wouldn't even know it was his rig.

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
The thing is, I could play through David Gilmour's rig and sound nothing like him. You wouldn't even know it was his rig.
Agree, you would sound just like "you", but hard for me to believe you wouldn't bond with his pedals through his guitar, amp and cables.

FrankyNoTone

As in most areas, you can do a hell of a lot worse than selecting from the equipment that the pro's use. In these consumer friendly times, there's far too much choice to waste your life's allotted time on this planet in a trial and error process.

So it is far better to depend on trusted experts to filter through the chaff and false glitter. And you can select from this much smaller list for what appeals/binds/gels... given that its not actually an issue with talent/skill ;)

Uncl3 J

I think we all started that way

I personally sought after a specific tone:
Strat into a 68' Plexi
Overdriven by something along the lines of a boost and Tubescreamer

Then I took that tone and shaped it into my own adding more pedals for a personalized tone! Started with the same guts, just went for something that speaks "me" more than "them"

Madsen

rarely. i'm more interested in the kind of gear they use to get a particular sound & then shopping around for something that does that but meets my needs/budget.

Blues Lyne

Agree, you would sound just like "you", but hard for me to believe you wouldn't bond with his pedals through his guitar, amp and cables.
From my experience, there is just as good a chance that he wouldn't bond with the rig.

I could definitely bond with his gear. But even Bjorn would be surprised I was using Gilmour's rig if such a heavenly experience could ever happen for me. I've played through other people's gear and after a little bit it somehow started to sound like my gear. I think that's where the 'tone is in the hands' comes to play. Then again, I did tweak their gear to do what I like (at their approval, of course).

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
I put a fuzz factory into my guitar because I saw it with muse.
Haven't looked back since and now use it quite different than the muse guy.
I've always wanted to try that. I just can't bring myself to modify my beautiful prs guitars for that...eventually ill get a tele or sg and put either a fuzz or a kaoss pad in it.

aT19er

In a way, yes. I loved the phasing and flanging sound in Van Halen, so I went out for a search of the best phasers and flangers made. In short I went with MXR's Script 90 and a vintage MXR flanger. I chose them not just because Eddie used them, but because the price/quality/tone balance was good.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I enjoy finding out what my favorite players use, but it usually isn't a huge influence on my gear choices.

There was a point in time I really wanted to nail Josh Homme's sound (it's freaking amazing!). I never really got that tone, but I found some other killer sounds in the process, so it worked out well overall.

There's a big difference between inspiration and imitation, and the latter is hardly as satisfying.

jcoriha

Generally I have found this only works in broad strokes (P90 vs Humbucker, Jet Flange, Tap Tempo Delay) not down to micro adjusting things. Getting a similar type of sound is one thing, copying cable lengths and battery use are just navel gazing.

Trending Topics