do you change amp settings when switching guitars on stage ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gitman, Sep 30, 2008.

1. gitman

gitman Member

makes me wonder : lots of players routinely switch between several guitars during a performance but i rarely if ever see them fiddling with their other gear when going from one guitar to the next, even when it's 2 very different sounding instruments. i like to adjust the highs (the high boost and the highs control on my Fuchs ODS50) when switching
    between my Suhr strat and a humbucker/short scale guitar : the strat sounds better with the high boost engaged and the control turned down, the ES- and LP type guitars want the high-boost disengaged, mids and bass rolled back and
    the highs dimed.... what's your take on this ?

2. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I'll roll back the treble abit when going from the les paul to the Tele, but I don't want to re EQ my amp so the guitars sound the same,kind of defeats the purpose of changing my guitar.

3. gitman

gitman Member

so you dial the amp in for the less bright + louder Les Paul and and adjust the Tele's controls to taste - your personal compromise.
    i want to get the best/truest possible performance and color from each particular guitar
    (normally not more than 2 electrics and one acoustic) that i use on stage and that asks for some changes on my amp + sometimes on my FX pedals. the difference in volume between the single coil and the HB guitars is also something i consider. a booster pedal
    can take care of that but it has to be a very neutral sounding boost - my TC Electronic
    Booster/Linedriver works pretty well in that respect.

4. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

i have known lots of players who use an EQ in the loop to set for one guitar or another. this is a quick step down and go so you don't have to adjust the amp.

5. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Mostly just a treble adjustment on my guitars ( strat and Tele). I'm riding guitar volume/ tone controls most nights anyway. I keep my amp set the same.

6. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I tend to use boost pedals most of the time, so I use a boost for each guitar and eq accordingly.

7. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I set my amp so that diifferent guitar voices shine through. I want my LP to sound like an LP ,, my strat to sound like a strat, tele like a tele. etc.

Saw a band recently and the guy played an LP type guitar for the first few songs, then he switched to a strat. He turned around and fiddled with the knobs on his amp after a few bars.......

it was obvious he was trying to EQ his strat to sound like a humbucker equipped guitar. He had a nice bright quack going and then re-eq'd to take all the intrinsic qualities of a strat away.

So I dont change my settings on my amp between guitars. I probably tend to set my amp on the brighter side and then I use the tone/volume controls on my guitar to regulate brightness during a gig. But in general I eq my amp so that any one of my guitars that gets plugged in sounds good and as it was intended to sound.

8. Derelict

Derelict Member

i don't change guitars, so no.

:stir

9. lanny

lanny Member

I set up my AC30 for my stock Strat and use a GE7 with the hi end boosted for my humbucker equipped Tele. Works very well for me.

10. msgdsrf

msgdsrf Member

I play covers and find that I have to make a small change now and again, though most often it's the mids. I just like to learn what changes I want before performing so any tweeking is expected and I know when I'll do it so I don't disrupt anything.

11. zep41

zep41 Member

no -- but then again I rarely change guitars. The only thing I touch on my amp during a show is the bright switch. If I am playing the amp with no pedals on, i like the bright switch to be on. If I have a pedal going, i like the bright switch off.

12. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

i have a bad habit of deciding at soundcheck which guitar i'm gonna use that night. it's usually my strat, and so my LP and my Tele sit on their stand all night.. leering at me... then i break a string and they're both like "Pick me, pick me!!!" but if i DO happen to change guitars, i usually don't mess with my amp. +1 for wanting each guitar to have a sound of it's own...

13. Tinman

Tinman Member

Every time I change guitars, I turn up a little bit.:AOK

14. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I've worked hard to find pickups that work well together. I use fralin's for both singles and hb's and they match up good enough for me live in the same guitar. Ever since I got rid of my les paul and strat I haven't needed to change anything when I go from tele to my ibanez semi-hollow. Both are pretty bright sounding, the only difference being the midrange.

15. gitman

gitman Member

changing the the settings to approximate one guitar's tone with another one kind of negates the need to swap guitars in the first place- of course. dialing out the brilliance of a strat while boosting the mids and lows to make it sound more like humbucker guitar when a LP sits on a stand nearby- would not make much sense. but boosting the strat's weaker output (when the amp is dialed in for the Lester) to compensate for the fall in sheer volume does make sense to me.
    i also like to have the guitar's volume knobs full on because fiddling with those to compensate for different volume levels would be too much hassle, on top of adjusting other things.

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I do change guitars, but mostly use a rather simple, one channel amp (Sewell Wampus Cat). One amp setting seems to work rather well for everything. What I will change is EQ on my RC booster, also will sometimes use two clean boosts with certain guitars, only one with others.

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I do. Going from a P90 archtop to a Tele usually requires some tweakage.

18. thesplawnster

thesplawnster Member

With our list of songs and the originals using 3 guitars on stage worked great for me, all the strat style, and BK pups. I got lucky, only need a little treb with the ESP Custom VHII. Going to change the pots and cap to see if I can get the treble up a tad.
    Using a EQ will solve most issues. But I can't see using a EQ pedal for each guitar.
    Doesn't the new processors have EQ settings that can be set. That would be the ticket

19. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

When I change guitars, I'll sometimes change amps too (A/B Box). I usually play a Les Paul through a Marshall and a Telecaster through a Fender. It just sounds right, imho. Sometimes that's the only way to get certain tones. For instance, I can't get a good "Bakersfield" or surf tone from a Les Paul --> Marshall.

20. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

:agree