• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Do You Clean Your Guitar and Case before sending to the buyer?

Clean or no?

• Yes I do

Votes: 69 93.2%
  • No I don't

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters

Dusty_Dave

yes absolutely. id give the guitar a clean and polish. Wipe the the case with a damp cloth, vacuum the interior of the case.

Mickey's dad

I always do. I keep my guitars clean but don't do regular cleaning on the case. I also have 3 dogs so it's inevitable that a dog hair or two gets in there. I vacuum case and storage compartment if it has one, and clean the outside. Guitar itself gets a good cleaning and for one tele I sold with a 4 way switch mod I also included the original switch and the wiring diagram for the 4 way, with a little blurb on what cap was in there. I have always sold a guitar to get another and not because I didn't like what I sold, so it's a last goodbye for me, and it's the right thing to do. If I had the money and space I'd never sell a guitar to get another LOL
Also I have had 3 of my guitars worked on by my tech since Covid. I do a very thorough cleaning and also disinfect the case before handing over. Then I use a paper towel to grab the handle when dropping it off.

Jim85IROC

I clean the stuff before I list it. I want it to look as good as possible in my pictures. Once I list something, I usually don't touch it again, so the buyer gets an immaculate product.

The majority of the guitars I buy are filthy and cheap. It's not unusual for me to be able to double my money on a cheap guitar just by cleaning it thoroughly, fixing an issue or 2, and giving it a good polish and setup, then taking good pictures to show off the condition of the guitar.

lostpick

I keep them clean anyway. But I do give them the royal treatment prior to even taking pictures. What's funny is, even if a guitar arrives clean as a whistle, I'll still shop vac the case and polish the guitar like it's a mess. It's just how I am.

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm careful with my guitars (including wearing a cloth over my right arm) but go over them before I take photos. Also, I usually get it set up by my repair guy. That way, I know that what I'm selling is in the best shape it can be.

Mickey's dad

I'm careful with my guitars (including wearing a cloth over my right arm)
Just tonight I was thinking I might want to put on a long sleeved T shirt or something when playing my two nitro finished guitars. They are both just starting to get that dulling where my forearm rests. No biggie and it's a badge of honor in a way, a good axe needs to be played. Still one of them is in pristine condition. My other nitro guitar is lightly relic'd anyway so I take my wear as just enhancing it ! Maybe just a cloth covering or long sleeve T for the SG that is totally Cherry condition. :cool:

Jim234

Always. I always describe my guitars as fully as I can. Provide extra pictures as requested. Discuss in person as required and finally send the guitar in as nice a condition as possible. This seems only fair. I have been bummed out by sellers in the past, I don't want to be like them.

Hudman_1

I keep my cases stored in a closet. They always look brand new. I always clean and detail guitars prior to taking pictures for listings. I packed the guitar for shipping immediately following the photo session.

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
I do everything I can to make a guitar (and pedal, anything really) look as good as possible before I ship.
Attach files
I once ordered a Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean from a Guitar Center down south and it arrived looking terrible. It needed a cleaning bad and I was **THIS CLOSE** to shipping it back but I took my time and cleaned it up, and now it's a keeper.

markmann

I can understand pawn shops and mass sellers not taking the time but it kills me when I see private sellers list items with pictures that show the item loaded with dust or just really bad pictures.

Jim85IROC

I can understand pawn shops and mass sellers not taking the time but it kills me when I see private sellers list items with pictures that show the item loaded with dust or just really bad pictures.
I love it. Usually, it means that I can get a good deal, because I know other people aren't buying that thing with his one picture of a filthy guitar. I wait for it to sit for a while, then give a lowball offer. If they bite, I buy, clean it, and list it for what it's actually worth. :D

NicDo

I always do.
I want it to look it's best and not have anything leap out as a negative.
If it's not an instrument worth caring for, why is it worth buying or owning?

Easy enough to do this when you get it ready for picture- then I try to leave it alone until it sells.
Well cleaned and new strings.

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
Just tonight I was thinking I might want to put on a long sleeved T shirt or something when playing my two nitro finished guitars. They are both just starting to get that dulling where my forearm rests. No biggie and it's a badge of honor in a way, a good axe needs to be played. Still one of them is in pristine condition. My other nitro guitar is lightly relic'd anyway so I take my wear as just enhancing it ! Maybe just a cloth covering or long sleeve T for the SG that is totally Cherry condition. :cool:
I also do it because I tend to stick to the finish - so the sleeve (cut off a silk undershirt) helps when I move my arm.

CanuckChris

I always clean before even taking photos for listing. Amazing how easily dust and smudge shows in pictures otherwise! Like others, after I've done this I put it away until it sells. If I kept playing it, might be too tempting to keep it and not follow through with selling :)

IanRubbish

I always give it a good cleaning, new strings and a good setup. A lot of times I will include a goody too. This 13 year old kid bought his first 7 string off of me on Reverb, which was a Sterling Jp. I went and made sure it worked well and the trem would stay in tune. I also gave him a pack of fresh strings and knew it was setup for that gague, so when he changed them he wouldn't be wondering why the trem was angled differently and it wouldn't stay in tune the same. I have so many nice straps and odds and ends that I always have some kind of gift that is applicable to the guitar or amp I'm selling. I always want someone to feel they got more than a good deal with me, because getting the bad end of a deal sucks.

Trending Topics