Do you consider "Achilles Last Stand" to be a TOP-TIER Zeppelin song?

Do you consider "Achilles Last Stand" to be a TOP-TIER Zeppelin song?

• Total voters

ZeyerGTR

Yes, one of my favorites.

I have a very fond memory of Achilles Last Stand. 20+ years ago when my wife and I were first married, we took a long road trip out west in our van. We were driving towards Vegas after a long day of hiking and were kind of worn out. That's a long drive on a straight and boring highway, especially when you're tired, but we had Achilles Last Stand blasting and that song got us through. I don't know why I remember that, but it's been etched in my mind and whenever I hear the song I think about it.

JLR

Rain Song for me. I learned it in standard tuning which is a challenge. I believe he wrote it in alternate tuning which is easier to play. The end result is the same...Great song. Also never got into anything after physical graffiti.

peskypesky

I still remember my older brother bringing Presence home and putting it on the stereo, and when "Achilles" started blasting, it was like:

hqdefault.jpg

It blew my mind then...and has remained one of my all-time favorite Zep songs. It is a BEAST.

Frond

Zep are my #1 band of all time: but I don’t have this in their ‘top tier’ as it’s past Plant’s prime.

it’s a great song, Page is a genius in the studio as per usual… but the song meanders a little bit. slightly too repetitive.

Over The Hills
Whole Lotta Love
Black Dog
Stairway
No Quarter
Immigrant Song
Ten Years Gone
Dazed & confused…

now that is top tier

MrTAteMyBalls

The groove is awesome but the song meanders and there is too much guitar wankery. There isn't a melody to be found in the whole thing. To me it's a good basic idea that sounds like they wrote in 10 minutes and never really developed.

In my opinion of course.

BlueRiff

Love it! I am surprised at the "goes nowhere" comments. The half time feel, the syncopated break downs, the crescendos, the . . . Oh right, everyone hear is strictly a guitar player and just wants a guitar solo LOL

When I think of a song that goes nowhere, I think of Hendrix's "Machine Gun." I cannot for the life of me understand the fascination with that slow, plodding, yet another blues jam with fuzz. ALS, otoh, is like running down a huge hill, just before you lose control because you cannot keep up with your legs; but with ALS, the amazing rush is never ruined by a crash.

TG
Machine Gun is not a song nor a blues jam to my ears. To me it’s a sonic journey into the horror of war as conveyed through an electric guitar, Marshall, effects and, most importantly, Hendrix’s mind. I’m not seeing even a remote connection to ALS but open to interpretation I might be missing. Machine Gun is just really a stream of consciousness tune that is difficult to compare to other arranged “tunes”. Anyway, that’s my take on it. :)

CFB85

A magical song, filled with dread. It's all over it - yes it is a stone cold classic but when I hear it I hear the sound of Zeppelin beginning to slip under the Atlantic like Titanic, the lights flickering, the icy water rising with miles of darkness beneath - Page, Bonham, Jones and RP giving it everything they've got even in awful shape but the thing is still sliding under. Inevitable. Incredible song.

devicaster

Love this one. Aside from Nobody's Fault its the only real reason I ever go back to listen to Presence. Admittedly there's other good songs to hear on the rest of the album. But its such a monolith amongst the more nuanced tracks it shadows over like Royal Orleans or Candy Store rock, ... and those other ones (Tea for one ... yawn, wake me when it's over).

Frond

The groove is awesome but the song meanders and there is too much guitar wankery. There isn't a melody to be found in the whole thing. To me it's a good basic idea that sounds like they wrote in 10 minutes and never really developed.

In my opinion of course.
the song was a continuation of the “San Francisco” jam part of Dazed & Confused.

if you go to 5:49 you’ll hear the genesis of the song (and the melodic hook in Achilles Last Stand)

NashSG

It's pretty close to the most 'grunge' sounding track as it was cut really raw and live. The gallop is a big part of lot so hard rock and metal, so it has that going. Rainbow and obviously Deep Purple got into the gallop too.

It is really aggressive but more angular bit more minor sounding than blues perhaps in vein of something Soundgarden would later play. Could Led Zep done something like "Slaves and Bulldozers"? Well they kinda did.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom