Do you consider Mesa amps are reliable?

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I used to own Mesa amps.
I played my Tverb for 14 years.

But i had to fly my Tverb 4 times to Mesa in that period.
My other Tverb developed problems too.

My friends Lonestar classic went back to the shop after only 5 months of use.
My other friend's Lonestar also went back after about 9 months. Both of those amps never gigged.

My firend's Road king has been back to Mesa 4 times in less than 8 years, this amp never gigged either.

And almost every other Mesa i have own or my friends have own had developed some problems.

Out of a dozen i can only recall 2 that never had any problems.

What has been your experience?

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
I've never had any problems with the 2 Mesas I've owned. I've had many friends who've owned various Mesas through the years. One in particular has owned over 10 and only has had one problem with a Stiletto Ace combo. So my experience has been positive. I guess we balance each other out! :D

Sounds like your stars and Mesas stars are crossed. All that really matters is your experience. If I were you, I'd move on to other options, FWIW.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I've never had any problems with the 2 Mesas I've owned. I've had many friends who've owned various Mesas through the years. One in particular has owned over 10 and only has had one problem with a Stiletto Ace combo. So my experience has been positive. I guess we balance each other out! :D

Sounds like your stars and Mesas stars are crossed. All that really matters is your experience. If I were you, I'd move on to other options, FWIW.
I did, but i still love the Tverb combo i had.
Never bonded with the two Tverb heads.

I gigged with a Maverick Short head and a matching 2x10 cab almost every weekend for 7 years. Not one problem. Great amp.

djw

Silver Supporting Member
I've never had any problems with either of my Mesas (a MkIII and LSC), both of which I've gigged a lot. I had one small issue with a reverb transformer, which was quickly replaced under warranty, but other than that they've been 100% reliable.

loki1982

So far my roadster 2/12 has been bullet proof, although one of the guys I know that has the same amp has had to send his footswitch back to mesa a couple of times. The lead guitarist for my old band has used both a roadking 2/12 combo and head with 4/12 cab for years and I don't recall him ever having any problems.

LesPaulMan

Have owned several Mesa's over the years. Only had a problem with a Studio 22 that was played at full volume all the time.

Mesa's build quality is typically better than most (certainly better than newer Marshalls, Peaveys, etc). My recent Mesa's (amps from the last decade) have never had any problems.

I do remember that the Tverbs had some issues with LDR/Channel switching. This was a known issue that Mesa fixed in the later Tverbs.

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
I've owned several Mesas (SOB, DC-2, DC-10, Rocket 44, Single Rectifier) and they've ALL been workhorses. I played a DC-2 on the road for 6 months and all I did was plug it in!

bigeric

Mesa Boogie is the only amp I owned that actually caught fire on a gig.
I'm not kidding. However I must say after calling Mesa on the phone they were
A+ on the service end. The amp was probably 3 years old and out of warranty.
They repaired and re tolexed the amp without charge and picked up return shipping.
I promptly sold the amp on its return.......I seem to remember it being a 50 caliber?

SyKrash

Owned 3 mesas: Express 5:50, Lonestar Classic and a Transatlantic 15.

No problems ever, hundreds of gigs, tons of mileage up and down the west coast.

Only problem I ever had was my express 5:50 popped a screen resistor after retubing. This happened right when I went to pick it up from Mesa Hollywood. Amp made a pop coming off standby and the guys just said "okay, hmm come back in 2 hrs"

Amp was in tip-top shape after.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
older ones, yes.
+1 I gigged with either a pair of IIC+s or a Triaxis/2:90 combo for over 10 years and found them to be rock solid amps in every way. I've owned Dual recs and a Road King as well but didn't keep them long enough to really say how they'd hold up over time.

jjp

I had a Mesa Lonestar Special for about three months, and about 5 weeks after I bought it (new) it blew a rectifier and a two fuses. This went on for about 2.5 months. I finally took it back to the shop where I bought it, as they are a Mesa authorized repair centre, but nothing aberant could be found. Less than a week after getting it home, it blew another rectifier. In all, four rectifiers and about 7 fuses. At one point I was running a Sovtek in it, and it was working fine, but, the problem with new Mesa amps is that the warranty is void if you use non-Mesa tubes.

Over on the boogie board, I met two other players who had the exact same problem. I returned mine, and picked up a Gibson LP Traditional in it's place (no fuses!) and bought a Swart AST Master. No problems. Still, I loved the sound of that amp. I thought the first channel was one of the finest cleans I had ever heard. It took a lot of tweaking to finally get it to sound the way I wanted it. Luckily, at least pertaining to this amp, I am not a working musician otherwise that rectifier problem would have been even worse.

Joe Gamble

I had a Mesa Lonestar Special for about three months, and about 5 weeks after I bought it (new) it blew a rectifier and a two fuses. This went on for about 2.5 months. I finally took it back to the shop where I bought it, as they are a Mesa authorized repair centre, but nothing aberant could be found. Less than a week after getting it home, it blew another rectifier. In all, four rectifiers and about 7 fuses. At one point I was running a Sovtek in it, and it was working fine, but, the problem with new Mesa amps is that the warranty is void if you use non-Mesa tubes.

Over on the boogie board, I met two other players who had the exact same problem. I returned mine, and picked up a Gibson LP Traditional in it's place (no fuses!) and bought a Swart AST Master. No problems. Still, I loved the sound of that amp. I thought the first channel was one of the finest cleans I had ever heard. It took a lot of tweaking to finally get it to sound the way I wanted it. Luckily, at least pertaining to this amp, I am not a working musician otherwise that rectifier problem would have been even worse.
This is a known issue with the Lonestars and it is easily fixed by using a NOS rectifier tube. New rectifier tubes aren't robust enough to handle the different power switching on those amps. I have heard that Mesa can do a quick mod internally that fixes this although I never had it done. Blew my first rectifier tube, replaced it with a NOS and sailed happily for 2+ years of hard gigging until I sold the amp.

Other than the rectifier tube issue, I gigged a LSS and an Electradyne very heavily for a couple years with nary a niggle. Very road-worthy amps IMO.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I must be d-blessed then, ahahahhahahah.
I must say i owned 2 Mesa Electra Dyne too, and they were terrific amps.
I also owned a Lonestar Head.

If i think about it, no other company has sold me as many amps as Mesa.
4 Tverbs, 3 had to be worked upon.

A Mark IV, never had a Problem with it.
2 Electradyne amps, no problems there
Lonestar, small glitch that had to be checked.

I liked all the amps, they sounded very good in a band mix.

rockster12

I still have my MKII that I bought in 81. Still has the original tubes and sound killer to this day. Probably the best clean tone amp I have. And that includes my 66 super reverb and my Carr slant 6V which are both pretty awesome themselves.

DeaconBlues

I still have my MKII that I bought in 81. Still has the original tubes and sound killer to this day. Probably the best clean tone amp I have. And that includes my 66 super reverb and my Carr slant 6V which are both pretty awesome themselves.

My second favorite Mesa amp next to the Blue angel. As far as reliability, I've never kept one long enough to have any issues...evidently.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Nomad combo. With very little use ALL of the tone pots became ineffective. For an amp that needs tweaking, this is not a good scenario.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned many Mesa amps and have had only minor repairs done to them over the years, nothing major. I live 20 minutes from Mesa and their service is so good, I can't complain.

Trending Topics