Do You Consider YouTubers/Online Guitar Personalities Guitar Heroes?

7thString

Greg Koch is one of my favourite people to listen to play but then again he's not really a 'youtuber' despite being in a lot of videos.

JJ Fux

As for being my hero, I don't know, they gotta write awesome songs, do the live stage thing, and kinda chill the heck out from shooting all these cover, comedy, gear review and 1 min of showcase videos.

So, no.

And this is very important:

They gotta be older than I am to be my hero, LOL! I'm joking! :p

Christone "Kingfish" Ingram and Tim Henson are my heroes!

A_F

Youtube is a diverse medium. I watch everything on there from "fail" videos to guitar stuff to cooking to live music to physics and art history lectures. I see no reason to diminish anyone on there that produces good content.

My favorites are Paul Davids, That Pedal Show, Tim Pierce, Tim Lerch and Danish Pete. That Pedal Show also introduced me to Matt Schofield and Joey Landreth - two monster players. Also Josh Smith.

I think the third time Schofield is on TPS, where he plays instrumental jams with a band, is some of the best blues playing I've heard in a long time.

Oh - and if you like acoustic blues - though that's not all he does - David Hamburger's youtube videos are just fantastic, deep, accessible lessons on various topics, and he's a fantastic player.

Youtube CAN be an endless source of knowledge and inspiration. You just have to ignore the narcissist cesspool side of things.

ckfoxtrot

If others think of YouTube guitarists as heroes that's fine.

I think of guitar "heroes" as individuals with innovative playing or strong writing skill that create/perform original music. Overall, I'm more drawn to songwriters/lyricists that write and perform their own music than I am to great guitarists.

Many YouTube musicians could be classified as teachers, salespeople, and/or entertainers (in a personality driven way). There's nothing wrong with any of those roles, but I can't think of any salespeople I hold in high enough regard to think of as a hero, and maybe only a very small number of teachers.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
What if the "guitar hero" was a specific historical phenomenon?

Carltone

I remember when the ‘ lectric radio came out and suddenly we had these heroes everywhere... it was much better when you had to go to the concert hall to hear the true heroes...

bobcs71

I'm looking at a hero as someone who makes me want to emulate things they do.

I have heroes like Clapton, Knopfler & Joe Walsh. Tim Pierce & Tom Bukovac count as heroes for me. It isn't because they have a YouTube channel. I want to emulate the way they come up with creative parts for artist's songs. I watch them on YouTube because it helps me learn what they do better than just listening to their completed work.

Trending Topics