Do you do your own tech work on your guitar?

Do you do your own Tech work?

• NOPE! i take it to my guitar guy.

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • I change my own strings, but thats about it.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I can swap out a pickup or a toggle, do a truss rod adj if necessary...

Votes: 97 44.1%
  • I DO IT ALL

Votes: 92 41.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brentrocks

Guitar Hack/Player
Platinum Supporting Member
I thought it would be interesting to see how many of us do our own pickups changes, setups, etc....or do you just do a little, not all?

Slowlicks

I have had my guitars setup in the past by one guy. He gets them close but not exactly as I want them. I'm certainly satisfied with his work. Hey, he can't read my mind..
After many hours of learning what effects what I found my way. I do my own now.
no one knows more about what I like than me.

drjordan

I changed the pickups in my guitar last year. I'll also do truss rod adjustments. More major stuff (like routing for a middle Strat pickup in my Tele) I leave up to professional guitar techs.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
I don't have a good soldering iron right now, so not able to do much electrical.

I do all set up and nut work--really everything except fretwork.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
yes, build them, set them up, fix them....
the last 2 guitars that i took to the "local professional" and paid around $30 each time to do some rewire work---both of those guitars have bad wiring problems now, and it's not like i'm beating my guitar etc. so my trust level in the "local professionals" is suspect....
all the wiring i've done has been fine, no problems....so after that little lesson, figured it's time to do things myself.....

coot tone

I don't do fret work, but I do everything else. I learned both from a fantastic luthier who relocated to my area late in his life and would let me sit by his bench while he worked, and various books. I think I COULD do frets, but I don't have enough patience.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Nut jobs and fret dressings are outta my comfort zone. I'll take a guitar apart and put it back together, though.

leray1

I do setups and recently finished my first gutting of a guitar. I've got parts coming to build my first Partscaster. I'm slowly learning to "do it all".

chervokas

I'll do anything that doesn't involve pretty finish work or fret and nut work. I learned early in life that one thing I'm not is a carpenter. Another thing I'm not is neat. But on down to assembling a partscaster (I will go so far as to drill some holes and drive some screws but that's about the extent of my carpententry skills), much standard stuff I'll do myself.

But I won't let anyone else do my setup work...and I'll do electronic work of just about any sort on guitars, amps, pedals, whatever. I don't see why every guitarist doesn't do his or her own setup, intonation, action and truss rod adjustments at the very least. First of all no one can get your guitar set up precisely to your liking as well as you can for yourself with the guitar in your own hands. Second of all, it's easy. Third, it can save you so much time and money.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
Everything except fret jobs - complete change out I mean. But, that's next in my self development.

SlimFatJr

I got tired of paying someone else to do something I could easily learn to do, and that I actually enjoy doing. I started with a few pawnshop mutts that I could inflict my questionable skills upon and proceeded from there. I do it all now - from working on all the electronics, changing pickups, tuners, and straplocks, to making my own nuts, staining and painting guitar bodies, leveling and crowning frets, and even refretting entire necks. I enjoy tweaking all my guitars to my exact specifications and I don't have to hand over any cash to another person who might not give the kind of care that I do with my own axes.
I even do some work for friends as a favour but rarely charge for my work as I don't want to make a living out of it.

vbf

Gold Supporting Member
I have a local guitar tech that is awesome! He does the best setups any any tech I've ever used.

Everything but fret work, the archtops I have I send out for anything electrical due to the fact I don't have the tools to get inside them properly.

My Paps philosophy kind of spilled over to me which, if you play it you should know how to work on it. Amps and all.

Also everything except frets & nuts (and anything that requires a drill press). If I have the tools, I'll do the job.

magicaxeman

The only bit I've always farmed out was spraying, I'm crap at it, the rest I used to do myself.
These days plans are to use a local tech as I can no longer do my own work

gmann

Wow, lotsa guys here that do it all, I'm impressed. I do everything but fret work. All my guitars have excellent frets when I get them or I have them refretted right away so there's never really any need for me to do anything. I do occaisionally polish the frets with 0000 steel wool. Other than that, I do all the work on my guitars.

Trending Topics