Do you enjoy managing people?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Travst, Jul 8, 2019.

Do you enjoy managing people?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. No

125 vote(s)
    76.2%
  1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I've always bristled at authority and feel the people who WANT to be in charge are usually worst at it. Usually their ego and arrogance drives them into those roles.

I find if I like and respect a higher up, I'll bend over backwards to make their job as easy as possible. But if they are incompetent, I'll go out of my way to make sure they know it at every turn.

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

People, they're the worst... I like machines.

I spent most all of my career carefully mapping a path to AVOID getting sucked into management.

mikeratan00 likes this.
  3. cadduc

cadduc Member

I am the person in charge, today we have >220 employees. We design, manufacture, and sell proprietary products for physics and chemistry applications. We also have a high precision cleaning/service group. We work with research facilities, national laboratories, and manufacturing companies.

Every day is an adventure. Working on stuff is fun and rewarding. Working with people is fun, except for ... well there are a few things.

4. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

Good people...sure.

Sh*theads...hated every moment of it.

Boundcustom likes this.
  5. billbixby

billbixby Member

Managers turn into power hungry dicks. All of them. The illusion of power.

6. Roark

Roark Member

Adult children? No.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  7. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

Only if the employees are worthy...

8. JammyDodger

JammyDodger Silver Supporting Member

Q. Do You enjoy managing people?
    A. I don't even manage to enjoy people.

cajone5 and GuiltySpark like this.
  9. kkregsg

kkregsg Member

As former leader of Seal Team Six, Dirty Dick Marcinco said in his book "Rogue Warrior," "You lead from the front!"

Some purported adults are way too busy acting like 4 year olds.

10. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I think this is either limited to the people you have worked for or something about your perspective. I have and do work with some great managers who aren't dicks and have no illusions of power.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I direct a research lab and have done so for decades.

I love mentoring and teaching and have skill at this. Managing and HR and accounting, not so much.

And that is fine.

12. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I hear this often. Some folks just have to be managed though.

13. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I'm doing postgraduate study to become a teacher. My job is to manage large groups of children and encourage them to learn where many of them just don't want to be there. It's a tough balancing act.

This helps:

14. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

“the most improper job of any man, even saints (who at any rate were at least unwilling to take it on), is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Travst likes this.
  15. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Member

Semantics aside. NO. I had a couple of guys at retirement age that had been on the same team for more than 10 years. And they couldn't STAND each other. It sucked any enjoyment right out of my job for several years until they finally retired. It was a three ring circus each and every day. Even on days when one was out, the other was bitchin' about something the other had done.

I couldn't coach or adjust either of them out of any of their behavior, despite multiple rounds with HR. I had to physically move them further apart and on different isles so they wouldn't accidentally meet in the hallway, etc. It was like a couple of 5th graders.

Now, I have a great team, but I'd still rather not.

True that.

Travst likes this.
  16. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Supporting Member

17. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I had two admins that couldn't stand each other. Most of the personnel issues we have to deal with over the years end up being the freaking admins. I manage about 20 people. Other than two admins, they're all highly educated (all MBAs or CPAs) and professional. I've literally never had an issue with those people not being able to get along.

GuiltySpark likes this.
  18. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

I have this problem with one of my staff. She keeps adding people to her "list" and takes potshots at them. I spend time every day dealing with her BS and I'm taking her through the discipline process. Most of the rest of the team has been affected by her behavior because they are targets or friendly with those who are. It's interesting how the behavior of a single person can affect the lives of others very significantly.

This woman has been given coaching by myself and my boss, HR, and has been written up and received an annual review covering the behavior problems. Yet she sticks to her story that she's being targeted and that none of the feedback is true. I'm seriously considering retiring rather than dealing with any more of this juvenile behavior.

19. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

I like leading/mentoring people - not managing them. I remember when I was a new manager and we had a really tough review to deliver to one of my team. My boss insisted on sitting in on the session. It took me weeks to schedule it due to my boss' apparent avoidance behavior. I finally caught him at a team offsite with me saying "all of the other team reviews are done weeks ago - only 'Joe's' is left - let's do it tomorrow 7:00a breakfast". Next morning I delivered the feedback. I didn't crave delivering bad news by any means but was shocked this guy who came off as really strong personality was avoiding confronting someone with bad news. Things aren't always as they appear.

20. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Delegating work to other people is hard.

If you want it done right, you do it yourself. If the process is so systemic you can afford to take time to teach someone else to do it, then it is dry and boring and I'm interested in work as a creative process, not a replicate process.