• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Do you ever avoid playing #1 to keep the strings fresh?

Krausewitz

I know it sounds crazy....but do you ever do this? I want to play my Tele, but I don't want to have dull strings come rehearsal on Sunday (I prefer fresher strings whenever I'm playing with a band, even if it is just rehearsal). I could just play it and replace the strings on Saturday, but I feel like if I do I'll be replacing the strings perhaps before it is really necessary.

Am I crazy, just cheap, or does anyone else find themselves with weird little first-world problems like this?

pgoon

Only if I have an important gig coming up in the next few days... then I'll lay off of it...

kimock

I know it sounds crazy....but do you ever do this? I want to play my Tele, but I don't want to have dull strings come rehearsal on Sunday (I prefer fresher strings whenever I'm playing with a band, even if it is just rehearsal). I could just play it and replace the strings on Saturday, but I feel like if I do I'll be replacing the strings perhaps before it is really necessary.

Am I crazy, just cheap, or does anyone else find themselves with weird little first-world problems like this?
Happens all the time.

padavis

You gotta fill in some blanks here man... If I am following you correctly, you're changing your strings on Sunday after rehearsal? So then it just sits for a week? What the heck man! What if the tension is deadening the strings before Sunday? Seems like the ONLY choice is to change your strings before rehearsal!

Think about that for a minute and let me know what you think about it...

Hey in all seriousness... I should change my strings more often and this thread reminded me of that...

Krausewitz

You gotta fill in some blanks here man... If I am following you correctly, you're changing your strings on Sunday after rehearsal? So then it just sits for a week? What the heck man! What if the tension is deadening the strings before Sunday? Seems like the ONLY choice is to change your strings before rehearsal!

Think about that for a minute and let me know what you think about it...

Hey in all seriousness... I should change my strings more often and this thread reminded me of that...
Ah, sorry...I can clarify: it has been a few weeks since rehearsal (bassist's car broke down, singer's daughter got sick and other random things...). I don't change before every rehearsal, but certainly after 3-4 weeks normally (definitely before gigs). I am trying to avoid having to change strings on Sat., in prep for Sunday's rehearsal.

Does that make sense?

padavis

Yea that clears it up. I say play and change them on Saturday. Because I think what if you get too used to your other guitars? I think definitely that applies the week before anyways.

swiveltung

When I can I change strings before rehearsal so they have settled down for the gig. As mentioned , on rare occasions I will play #2 to keep #1 fresh for an important gig. But wither guitar is fine for either gig usually.
I put new strings on about every 8 hours gig time anyway.

Jason_77

I know what you're saying. You're looking at the strings like it's a field of fresh snow... you want to run through it, but then it won't be a field of fresh snow anymore. If you have another guitar, then just play that instead in the meantime. If it was me, I would just wash my hands before I played it (which I do anyway). If you feel like you're working up a sweat, either put it down or just wash your hands again. A week of that shouldn't kill the fresh feeling.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I've done exactly the same thing before, OP. :beer

Changed them for rehearsal, rehearsal got cancelled, so I then just played my 2nd guitar until the gig, to keep #1's strings fresh. Ain't no big thang. :)

55GibsonLPJR

Simple, the worst thing a guitarist can do is not play their #1 to save it or not risk anything happening to it...if its a string thing, use some guitar polish and a rag and wipe the strings down before you put it in the case. The dumbest thing is a great guitarist playing TOO many different types of guitars and not getting great on the one they are most comfortable with and actually advancing themselves musically - my 2 cents.

27sauce

Eh, kinda. I leave my guitars(including #1) at my gig pretty much all the time. I play and learn at home on other guitars, which also get gigged. My Les Paul and Telecaster get played every night, and sometimes I brung them home for maintenance, but must of the time they stay there.

MDrummey

I'll always play the guitar I plan on gigging in the days leading up to it. Unless there's last minute change. I'll change the strings a few hours before the show regardless.

Trending Topics