Do you ever avoid playing #1 to keep the strings fresh?

Krausewitz

I know it sounds crazy....but do you ever do this? I want to play my Tele, but I don't want to have dull strings come rehearsal on Sunday (I prefer fresher strings whenever I'm playing with a band, even if it is just rehearsal). I could just play it and replace the strings on Saturday, but I feel like if I do I'll be replacing the strings perhaps before it is really necessary.

Am I crazy, just cheap, or does anyone else find themselves with weird little first-world problems like this?

pgoon

Only if I have an important gig coming up in the next few days... then I'll lay off of it...

kimock

I know it sounds crazy....but do you ever do this? I want to play my Tele, but I don't want to have dull strings come rehearsal on Sunday (I prefer fresher strings whenever I'm playing with a band, even if it is just rehearsal). I could just play it and replace the strings on Saturday, but I feel like if I do I'll be replacing the strings perhaps before it is really necessary.

Am I crazy, just cheap, or does anyone else find themselves with weird little first-world problems like this?
Happens all the time.

padavis

You gotta fill in some blanks here man... If I am following you correctly, you're changing your strings on Sunday after rehearsal? So then it just sits for a week? What the heck man! What if the tension is deadening the strings before Sunday? Seems like the ONLY choice is to change your strings before rehearsal!

Think about that for a minute and let me know what you think about it...

Hey in all seriousness... I should change my strings more often and this thread reminded me of that...

Krausewitz

You gotta fill in some blanks here man... If I am following you correctly, you're changing your strings on Sunday after rehearsal? So then it just sits for a week? What the heck man! What if the tension is deadening the strings before Sunday? Seems like the ONLY choice is to change your strings before rehearsal!

Think about that for a minute and let me know what you think about it...

Hey in all seriousness... I should change my strings more often and this thread reminded me of that...
Ah, sorry...I can clarify: it has been a few weeks since rehearsal (bassist's car broke down, singer's daughter got sick and other random things...). I don't change before every rehearsal, but certainly after 3-4 weeks normally (definitely before gigs). I am trying to avoid having to change strings on Sat., in prep for Sunday's rehearsal.

Does that make sense?

padavis

Yea that clears it up. I say play and change them on Saturday. Because I think what if you get too used to your other guitars? I think definitely that applies the week before anyways.

swiveltung

When I can I change strings before rehearsal so they have settled down for the gig. As mentioned , on rare occasions I will play #2 to keep #1 fresh for an important gig. But wither guitar is fine for either gig usually.
I put new strings on about every 8 hours gig time anyway.

Jason_77

I know what you're saying. You're looking at the strings like it's a field of fresh snow... you want to run through it, but then it won't be a field of fresh snow anymore. If you have another guitar, then just play that instead in the meantime. If it was me, I would just wash my hands before I played it (which I do anyway). If you feel like you're working up a sweat, either put it down or just wash your hands again. A week of that shouldn't kill the fresh feeling.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
I've done exactly the same thing before, OP. :beer

Changed them for rehearsal, rehearsal got cancelled, so I then just played my 2nd guitar until the gig, to keep #1's strings fresh. Ain't no big thang. :)

55GibsonLPJR

Simple, the worst thing a guitarist can do is not play their #1 to save it or not risk anything happening to it...if its a string thing, use some guitar polish and a rag and wipe the strings down before you put it in the case. The dumbest thing is a great guitarist playing TOO many different types of guitars and not getting great on the one they are most comfortable with and actually advancing themselves musically - my 2 cents.

27sauce

Eh, kinda. I leave my guitars(including #1) at my gig pretty much all the time. I play and learn at home on other guitars, which also get gigged. My Les Paul and Telecaster get played every night, and sometimes I brung them home for maintenance, but must of the time they stay there.

MDrummey

I'll always play the guitar I plan on gigging in the days leading up to it. Unless there's last minute change. I'll change the strings a few hours before the show regardless.

Trending Topics