Do you ever buy feature-packed pedals knowing you won't use most of them?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Axe_34, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Axe_34

Axe_34 Supporting Member

I always think, "I *may* need that feature someday" knowing full well I won't.

I'm trying to not do that anymore. :D

cheetah77, Datsyuk, monty and 2 others like this.
  2. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Nope. I'm already enough of an obsessive when there's anything more than four knobs. Add a couple of switches into the mix and I'll get lost in option paralysis.

Jonah66, mabinogeon and Snufkinoob like this.
  3. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

Just because you can cram a load of features into something doesn't mean you should.

Matt Rain, cheetah77 and GA20T like this.
  4. soma

soma Supporting Member

I'm actively trying to offload my feature-laden pedal and replace them with simpler offerings. I have wasted too many years tweaking instead of playing.

dyldog, Jonah66, cheetah77 and 3 others like this.
  5. (Something)

(Something) Member

Generally, no. I try to find a replacement pedal that does the one sound I like really well and buy that instead. I only use the Timeline and Mobius because they let me remove 6 pedals from my board.

6. aisling

aisling Supporting Member

Not by choice, but time is my most precious commodity balancing music with my family and work life, so I have bought some "feature" packed pedals that I simply haven't sacrificed time from playing music to learn how to optimize, and then they sit underused.

7. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Oh god no.
    I deliberately buy very simple pedals.
    I remember almost buying my wife a Mesa Lonestar but it really had only one setting she really liked.
    She likely would have set it there, glued the knobs (except volume) and tossed the footswitch in a closet somewhere with the manual and warranty.
    I’m kinda the same way. Three knobs and a switch is about all I can really handle. I have the wampler ego and I have to twist knobs all the way over and back to hear any real differences. It’s why I don’t bother with subtle differences in sounds. They’re just not worth the effort to me.

soma, Flouncingfleasbag and cheetah77 like this.
  8. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Strymon Blue Sky
    Chase Bliss Brothers

Bye, bye.

Too many deep effectual tweaking options, most of which seemed superfluous, for my needs.

I want just enough tweaking flexibility to dial in some very usable sounds to remain compatible even as guitar, amp and venue change.

-bEn r.

9. stahlhart

stahlhart Member

<cough>Pitch Factor<cough>

WallyTrombone and Squatch57 like this.
  10. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I buy pedals that give me the sound I want...if something happens to have a bunch of features I won't use, but still does what I want better than other pedals, that's the pedal I'm going to buy. But I don't buy pedals with a bunch of features if a simple pedal will do the job to my satisfaction.

WallyTrombone, monty, nnnnnn and 3 others like this.
  11. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The reason we do simple pedals on top is to serve those here who want that. The reason we do complex pedals below is to serve those here who collectively need an endless list of features. We have no choice but to serve both simple and complex with one pedal. Doing 2 separate models is impractical and would blow the R&D budget. Having both in one pedal seems like a clear win for all of you. Right?

songtalk, IAm MI, norpe and 12 others like this.
  12. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

I think this is a valid use case. Especially if you can't get that sound anywhere else. And if the day comes when you are tired of it and consider selling it, you can say "hey, there's other sounds in here" and you automatically get "the next thing" for free.

Vhailor, monty and MoonshineMan like this.
  13. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

I have before, and may again - once in a great while, but I endeavor to avoid such scenarios.

monty likes this.
  14. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

No, not really. I mean I don’t use any of the midi functionality of the GigRig G2 but there is nothing less advanced that does what I need it to do. So even though it is “feature packed” with things I don’t use, there is nothing else that has the features I DO use.

DaveKS and scolfax like this.
  15. Named

Named Supporting Member

Whether or not I plan to use all features, one thing I consider is what all would I need to get the features that I would use if not the all inclusive piece of kit. It often makes economic and real estate sense to get the whole shebang.

16. h-pr

h-pr Member

Not really. I like simplicity. One pedal has to have a very clear-cut function. I ended up having a lot of different pedals on my board, but I always know what each of them does and exactly what sounds I get from them. In the rare event that I get a pedal that can do many things at once, I usually stick to once specific thing and criminally underuse it.

Datsyuk likes this.
  17. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

My Roland VG-8 is pretty complex, but I just got it for a few patches like the Vio...and to get my Fripp on...

18. seltaeb

seltaeb Member

This is the very reason I went with the Strymon El Cap instead of the Timeline.

The new 'Volante' looks appealing, but I fear I would only use the tape mode anyway, which means I should probably just stick with the El Cap :).

19. germs

germs Member

used to fall into that category by rationalizing that my cover band might need that one, specific sound for that one song.

now, i'm all about ease of use.

i'll actually avoid pedals with super deep parameters and midi editing etc - i'll NEVER hook outboard gigging gear up to a computer. that's just how i roll.

20. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

The cheapest and easiest way to get the minimum delay functionality I wanted was with a DD-500. That unit happens to provide a lot of features that I never use, but those features don't get in the way, and simpler and cheaper delays don't have the few deep editing features that I do use, so...