Do you ever buy feature-packed pedals knowing you won't use most of them?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Axe_34, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

I think the Strymon pedals features and format are just right.

Ironically, the Dig might be their most complicated ('regular' sized) pedal and it's the only one I own, and I hate complicated pedals but find it easy to use.

The secondary functions reduce the need for even more knobs, and mostly seem to be the "set and forget" type, or in the case of the Dig at least, just reconfigure what you have at your feet. i.e. tied or independent delays. Then the controls behave in the same way, but for that new set up.

Regardless of what people think about Strymon, ('digital sheen' used by 'blooz lawyers' etc) I think they're approach is very sober. They offer maximum flexibility but only in the most practical ways and so don't cross the line into the unnecessary.

To use a slightly odd analogy, Chase Bliss, or similarly complicated pedals, are like the first draft of a novel, or the first cut of a film. Everything including the kitchen sink is there and it's messy, dense and distracting. You need to take a critical eye and a pair of scissors to the overall design to leave only what is essential for a better experience. Satisfying but leaving the audience wanting more, to experience it again. Or in the case of an effects pedal, satisfying and limiting in just the right way to then leave your free to play.

scolfax likes this.
  2. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

FWIW I often use my Helix with only 2 blocks. The benefit of the Helix is that the 2 blocks can change as often/little as I need. If you can get away from the tweaking you can get a lot of use out of that 500!

Jonah66 likes this.
  3. Jonah66

Jonah66 Member

Oh i totally agree, i am more than happy going back to a pedalboard though, albeit a big one lol

scolfax likes this.
  4. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

It might sit for awhile, but I get to it. That doesn't mean I dont end up leaning on just a couple settings, but I like to know what I have on tap.

scolfax likes this.
  5. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

If music is "play", and gear are the toys we use to play with, then the more bells & whistles means more fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  6. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

This is exactly why I haven't bought a Timeline (or something similar) yet. 90% of it's potential would be lost. I do want to get a Blue Sky or RV-500 - or other big box reverb, though.

7. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

I have a Strymon Timeline and Mobius and don't use but 2-3 banks at the most. I'm not sure why I bought the Mobius because I already have chorus, flanger and phaser pedals I prefer and I'm not a fan of other types of modulation. The Timeline usually has one sound going, a basic echo that's always on. It sounds awesome though, and I think it would be a much more useful pedal than the Mobius.

8. p.j.

p.j. Member

I try to be honest with myself and know that if it has too much stuff going on I will probably get overwhelmed and not use it. Disp-switches are a no no for me for that reason plus I don't usually play with my reading glasses on so I have no idea what anything says. Computer updating is also a no no for me. I don't want to hook any pedal to my computer. I don't want to worry about whether I have the latest updates.

I appreciate technology but if a pedal has too many bells and whistles I know that it isn't for me. I always remember having a graphic equalizer in college and just having all the sliders in the middle position. After a while I realized that it was doing nothing and I sold it. Too many choices are not a good thing for me. YMMV.

9. tozum

tozum Member

For delay I can be satisfied with a simple pedal like Dunlop Echoplex with tap tempo extension. So, in my case my El Capistan is the feature-packed pedal which I highly likely won't be using most of them.

10. Frank67

Frank67 Member

The Strymon Big 3 on my pedal board never worked for me ... just too complex and then I always have to read the manual to figure out what the two extra controls do for which machine

... now I have built a big studio rack and have a bunch of the small Strymon pedals and they are just right I terms of usage comfort ... then I leave the big ones for the more crazy sounds and the "bread and butter" is coming from the small ones ... big luxury, I know ... but the Strymon stuff is just glorious sounding, digital or not, it is just great (in my highly subjective opinion of course)

11. Suarkttam

Suarkttam Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Every Chase Bliss pedal I’ve owned...

12. Shnook

Shnook Member

I bought a Source Audio Vertigo knowing full well I wasn’t ever gonna use the APP/software stuff. I tried the pedal out alongside a Walrus Audio Monument and the features and the sounds I got with just the Vertigo were all I needed and I thought the pedal sounded better than the Monument. The store owner was telling me about all the software stuff as a further selling point and I politely told him I’d probably never look into it. Two years later I still love the Vertigo and haven’t even thought once of the software stuff. The pedal itself is all I need.

rsmith601 likes this.