Do you ever crank the gain on the TIMMY?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by filmosound, Jan 28, 2006.

1. filmosound

filmosound Member

I was wondering how many of you ever crank the gain on the Paul Cochrane TIMMY pedal? do you ever put it past 2 or 3 o'clock? I was thinking of asking for the same value gain pot used on the TIM for the TIMMY pedal I have on order. Then there will be better control on the clean side of things, but the max gain is knocked down a bit so that with the gain turned fully clockwise you'd have what the gain used to sound like at 2 or 3 o'clock. This was mentioned by Paul in a post from a few weeks ago.

2. drolling

drolling Member

Yes I do, but generally pulling the treble back at the same thing- tho' not always.. depending on the guitars/amps used.

If I had a nickle for every time someone said "there's not an unuseable sound on this pedal" I'd be a thousandaire by now!

3. JPB

JPB Member

I do't see the point of putting another pot in. The gain is very well adjustable. I'd rather have different knobs, as the stock ones are not my favorite "tweakalogically" speaking. I like the gain fully CW sometimes, but the lower gain settings are so good that I simply don't need to. I'd go foe the current pot, works fine IMO

4. itsLars

itsLars Member

Speaking of the Timmy's pots: I find them to run too easy/smooth. I eventually turn the two lower pots with my foot when hittin' the switch.

Have others experienced the same?

Bye,
    Lars

5. Craise

Craise Member

One of my favorite setting on my TIM is with the 2nd stage on with both gain knobs maxed out. BUT then roll back the volume on your guitar to 1-3 and it sings soooo nice. Lots of people bag on the higher gain setting of the TIM and TIMMY but I think you need to back off you guitar volume a bit and it smooths it out and sounds great. IMHO ! :)

6. erksin

erksin Member

I run the Timmy's gain full up about 80% of the time - as long as I keep the Treble at around 2:00 and the Bass Around 1-1:30 it sounds great, no fizz at all. This is in the least compressed mode, FWIW - it would probably be even smoother with the switches in the other modes.

7. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Loosen the knobs and take your pedal to the hardware store. Ask to look at their selection of O rings. An Ace Hardware will probably have a selection of small round (both in cross-section and in overall shape) rings. Remove a knob and try out some rings.

If you experiment with a few diameters and thicknesses you can probably find one that just fits around the pot nut and/or shaft and will rub very slightly against the knob when it is placed back on the pot shaft. Put the O ring on the pot and put the knob back on. Push down on the knob while tightning the set screw to get the amount of friction resistance you want.

If you get the friction right, the knob will turn with a smooth, damped feel but won't be so loose that it is easy to bump the setting. I do it. It works. Haven't tried it on a Timmy.

hunter

8. playon

playon Supporting Member

I have a TIM and I only use the lower gain range of the pedal, I'm talking setting it around 9-11 o'clock... I don't use this pedal for high-gain sounds. Even on the TIM the lower end of the gain can be hard to adjust as just a nudge makes a fairly big difference.

9. jeak

jeak Member

I dime my Timmy at times, but usually it's around 1:00. I didn't like the full-gain setting so much until I swapped the IC out for an LM1458. That smoothed it out and made the higher settings more to my taste. A search will turn up some threads on this with other folks' impressions of the chip swap.

10. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

11. filmosound

filmosound Member

Thanks for all of your replies. I wasn't intending on using the TIMMY for higher gain use, so I may appreciate being able to fine tune the amount of gain better with the same value gain pot as on the TIM.

I definitely want to hear the LM1458 chip. I read the threads about that one.

MrMunky, I prefer the other track you recorded...
    http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/TimLead2.mp3