Do You Experience Malignant Optimism?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Drak, May 17, 2019.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

I can certainly relate.

A-Bone likes this.
  2. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Mojo sent (sort of kidding, but sort of not kidding).

Mngwa likes this.
  3. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I'm too loyal and it doesn't jive well in today's corporate environment. To them...I'm only a number.

Being overly optimistic keeps me happier in the long term imo

Mngwa and A-Bone like this.
  4. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Your post and mine together are the crux of Albert Camus' "The Myth of Sisyphus".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

My answer to your question is "Why not?" I'm not really trying to argue with people's need to find meaning in life. It seems to be an innate tendency in us. I guess I sometimes wonder why does a person's life need to have a special meaning in order for it to be worth living. It just IS worth living. In a million years it won't matter either way. I'm not saying I totally buy into the whole Absurdist philosophy but sometimes it seems as though people put a lot a pressure on themselves and cause themselves anxiety by placing TOO much emphasis on whether they have lived a meaningful life, almost a need to justify their existence.

Most of the time I think it's best when I keep these thoughts to myself. :)

A-Bone likes this.
  5. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Same with me (people), mostly because the relationship means so much to me . especially relatives; even though one of my brothers hasn't spoken to me in years, when i think of him, i think today might be the day he gives me a call.
    And @Chris Scott 's comment about his wife pegs my situation; she's the eternal optimist for the lost cause turn-around but me, it's in the sig (and Murphy's Law).

Chris Scott and jimmyj like this.
  6. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Interesting.

In my youth, I used to be the happy go lucky optimist. Always seeing the idealistic potential. Over time and many disappointments, I learned and using experience, became skeptical and more pessimistic of positive outcomes. Now, when something good happens, better than expected, I raise an eyebrow and move on. I don't experience the joy of 40-some years ago. Grumpy old man? Maybe... or just seasoned with experience and lower, more realistic expectations. More likely.

7. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

This is a damn fine description of my lovely wife...it may at first glance appear that she's just always blindly "positive", but a closer look reveals a fair amount of calculation that precedes most any decision she makes, especially regarding her involvement with other humans.

Emigre and jimmyj like this.
  8. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

You reminded me that I once observed years ago that many of my friends who had been the most optimistic in their youth ended up being the most cynical later on.

CheckSix and Chris Scott like this.
  9. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Plus 1!

Also, start your own country.

10. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

O'Toole's Corollary to Murphy's Law:

Murphy was an optimist.

A-Bone and 84superchamp like this.
  11. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Well, living is a lot of work for most people, and I suspect that if there is no sense of purpose or meaning, there is no motivation to do the work necessary to survive. That sense of purpose or meaning can be as basic as the instinct to survive and procreate. I think this is a general biological principle.

I agree with you, though, that many people seem to put too much emphasis on attaching deep meaning to everything that happens in their lives, as if everything must be unfolding according to some grand plan. As you've said, that kind of delusional thinking causes lots of unnecessary disappointment and frustration.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Okra and jimmyj like this.
  12. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

13. Madsen

Madsen Member

I've been called "sardonic" but everyone has the opportunity to prove me wrong.

jimmyj and A-Bone like this.
  14. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I like to think of it as terminal optimism...