do you find an excuse to buy something else?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by bloozeman1, Aug 13, 2019 at 4:30 AM.

1. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Even though I am all set and have more than enough equipment to satisfy pretty much any of my needs, (66 super reverb, 66 pro reverb, 64 deluxe reverb, 65 princeton reverb reissue, 3 custom shop strats, and plenty of nice pedals on board) I still always find an excuse to peruse and possibly buy another amp or pedal etc... Anybody else have this problem? You know you don't need anything else and what you have is more than enough but the urge to get something else is always there.

PBGas, mrpinter and pomfret like this.
  2. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Yes. But I don’t need any excuses. I just enjoy trying new gear and like owning several guitars.

My latest urge is to sell all the Fender CS guitars and get a vintage Strat. Not sure I’ll go through with that one.

I think the bottom line is a general dissatisfaction with my musical state (no longer gigging and no desire to do so, also not currently doing any home recording). I occasionally jam with friends, but that’s not really satisfying. So I stay busy musically by buying and selling. Nothing wrong with that, it’s all discretionary income, but at some point enough is enough. I guess I haven’t reached that point.

3. Someotherguy

Someotherguy Member

I tend to do this as well. I found forcing myself to research all options thoroughly and to meet specific goals and thresholds to justify a purchase made the process less frequent and more pleasurable.

4. thecornman

thecornman Member

No I am one of those weird ones that doesn't like to own a bunch of stuff I don't use regularly! Just annoys me looking at a bunch of stuff laying around that seldom gets touched. That goes for everything not just music equipment. Not a material guy at all and I don't get any satisfaction by owning things.

buddaman71 and Lef T like this.
  5. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I look at it this way: look at screwdrivers, you need a flathead, Phillips, big ones, small ones. Tools for the task. Then again, I try not to have much redundancy in my “collection”.
    You seem to have blackface Fenders of all sizes. That makes perfect sense to me so that you’d have the right size amp for any gig.

8raw likes this.
  6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I've been doing this more with instructional material lately.

I need at least one more lifetime to get through it all. Sigh.

7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

For tax purposes it's good to buy things, or get things repaired...

8. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

"Something else" will always be there. So either embrace your compulsion or reject it. Start by disconnecting from websites and catalogs and showrooms, and see if the urge diminishes. Ignorance may not be bliss, but it's often less expensive!

9. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I catch myself in a situation where I stare blindly at something for a while trying to find a reason NOT to buy it.
    There is just way too much great gear out there at very little cost, compared to what great gear costed in the 60s and 70s. Or even 80s.

10. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I'm an expert in this...

'You want me to play a gig with you this weekend? £50 cash in hand for a half hour set? Sounds great, yeah, I'm up for that.'
    'Hmm, that little Vox amp I was looking at the other day would be perfect for this, and it was only £350...'
    'Hi guys, ready for soundcheck then... hey look, I got a new amp!'

And then I wonder why I'm £300 down on my next bank statement.

beanbass, scienceguy, pomfret and 2 others like this.
  11. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

I don't need an excuse. Most of the time it just happens. Here are some examples.

A couple years ago a cat I know who has a guitar store called me up and asked me if I had anything I wanted to sell. I did not. But I thought that since he has a guitar store he might have something I could trade something for. He did- a 1957 Les Paul TV Model, not a reissue. I looked around my music room and made a list of guitars that I thought he might like and I would not miss if I got that guitar. A few days later he brought the TV Model and a couple or three other guitars he thought I might like to my house. I traded five guitars for the TV Model and another nice guitar. I still have and intend on keeping the TV Model. I recently traded the other guitar.

Maybe six months ago I was sitting in my music room and picked up a relatively inexpensive guitar that I had bought from a used musical instrument store near me. It was a cool looking and overall a pretty good guitar. But I just didn't play it very much. I also had an Aria bolt neck Les Paul copy that didn't sound as good as my other bolt neck Les Paul copies. Once I realized that I had two guitars I didn't play very much I took them to the used musical instrument store. I traded them for a Vintage brand Telecaster guitar that cost about the same as what I had paid for the two guitars I traded.

About three weeks ago my wife told me to go to the used musical instrument store and spend $500. At first the only thing I saw that I was interested in was a Peavey Studio Pro 40 amplifier. It was $99. And I had a use for it. My Vintage 47 copy of a 1940s Valco amplifier was modified with a line out. That Peavey amplifier was ideal for plugging my Vintage 47 amplifier into for more loud. But as I was walking down the last aisle I saw a fairly recent Les Paul Junior for just over $500. I bought the Les Paul Junior. The next day I bought the Peavey Studio Pro 40 for $50. But as I was about to leave the store I saw what I thought was either a late 1950s double cutaway Les Paul Junior or a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Junior. I asked how much it was. The cat I asked handed it to me. I thought "That's nice" and walked out the door. Two or three days later I was out doing some errands and stuff. I dropped off a Tone King amplifier and a friend's PA head at a place to have them repaired. And I went by a coin shop near there to look at some late 1800s and early 1900s Canadian silver dimes. I had previously went there and got some Canadian silver quarters and half dollars. As I was driving home I realized that I had a Gibson Custom Shop guitar at home that I didn't use very much. I thought maybe I could trade it for the Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Junior. But I wondered if there was anything else I could take to trade if they didn't want my Custom Shop guitar. There was. I took the two guitars to the store and traded them for a Gibson Custom Shop "R8" Les Paul Junior, a mid to late 1970s Guild M-80, an Orange OR15 head, and an Orange 1x12 cabinet.

beanbass and buddaman71 like this.
  12. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I don’t know about that. In the 70s I could buy a ‘56 Strat for a couple hundered bucks...

beanbass likes this.
  13. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

14. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Sure you could. I could also buy a good running used car in the 70s for under 200 bucks that had good tires and a lot of life left in it. I bought a nice house in one of the more expensive neighborhoods in the town I lived in for 32k in 1978. That same house now goes for about 150k, and that is after the city around that area fell apart and the area declined.
    What would a 2000 Strat cost you now? It would be 20 years old now, the same as a 56 strat bought in 75.
    I have excellent guitars that I gig with that cost me well under 200 bucks, and other extremely high quality ones that I got for under 300. Find a running car for that price. Chances are you could get more out of one than that at a scrap yard.

pepedede, buddaman71 and ethomas1013 like this.
  15. standard24

standard24 Member

I'm not gigging anymore... I need to sell a ton of stuff. I can't bring myself to do it. Maybe sell one guitar a month until I'm down to a reasonable number?

I have come to resent the extra guitars/amps... They should be paying me rent!

pepedede likes this.
  16. Gclef

Gclef Member

I could easily justify any purchase. Lol

I am filling out my rig (down to a few pedals) currently.
    My guitars need a few small parts, a pickup replacement(s), and cleaning up some wiring. Not much at all.

My mindset is "settled down" I guess? I know what I want and will buy it.

That is not to say that I won't buy a guitar on a whim here or there. Then, note the first statement above.

17. mabinogeon

mabinogeon A really hoopy frood. Silver Supporting Member

I don't need excuses, I just need two glasses of wine and the Reverb app on my phone.

18. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I don't look for excuses, they just pop up.

BADHAK likes this.
  19. The Captain

The Captain Member

I don’t need an excuse. Guitar, music and associated gear is my main hobby and my main creative and intellectual stimulation. Sure, I’m a doctor, but work stuff bores me and drains me. Music is fascinating and invigorating. I need it.
    I’m slowly turning into a bit of s peak geek and I’m ok with that. As expensive habits go, it’s not.

EL34 and BADHAK like this.
  20. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I don't look for excuses when I buy more gear. I have everything I need. Sometimes though after buying another music toy, I wonder "what was I thinking?". I thought I was done for a while when I dismantled a couple of pedalboards and sold all the pedals, and the Nano boards with them. I'm waiting for delivery now for all the parts for a new small pedalboard loaded with four pedals. So I guess I wasn't done.