do you find an excuse to buy something else?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by bloozeman1, Aug 13, 2019 at 4:30 AM.

1. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I’ve actually gone the other direction. I’ve worked hard and am at a place in my career and life that I can afford anything I want. I went thru a bit of a binge the last 3 years and gave myself a nice budget to play with.

I’ve realized that I am always going to find a way to get the 3-4 core tones I always use with whatever rig I have. I’m also an adherent to using the simplest and least amount of gear required to get the job done. This also reduces the number of potential failure points and increases reliability live.

Basically, I’m just done with my recent cycle of acquisition and change and selling off everything that’s redundant or simply not bring used. I’m the opposite of a flipper; money isn’t ever my concern with gear, so I list and sell below market value when I want to liquidate gear quickly. I’m happy I have zero GAS these days. It’s cathartic to reduce clutter and simplify.

beanbass and thecornman like this.
  2. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I was stressed out, I felt my clients were not really taken care of. It was my name and my face they knew... so after resigning twice and being talked into staying, I finally had had enough. 8 months ago, I branched out and became a partner in a very small company. Starting a company without being able to ride the pony into town makes it really tough. Lots of set backs. (A non compete that while not enforceable, could drag me into courts and red tape for years if I’m not careful, and that keeps me from all my previous contacts and clients)

I am completely broke and hanging in on a thread so to speak. So no new purchases for me. Only the absolute necessities. I’ll be good and broke for at least a year. I have contracts now, but the revenue stream from them is at least 8 months out before they even start to trickle in.

What this all really means if no vacation for a couple years and no new toys.

3. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I'd like to get to that point. I have zero amp/fx GAS due to the AxeFX III, but have not reached the point of zero GAS for guitars. I think if I stopped reading the Gear Page daily that would help a lot.

Regarding redundant gear, I have three Fender CS Strats and a parts-Strat. Guess which one I play the most... I have not been able to bring myself to the point where I can sell all three CS guitars, but I'm close. Problem is I want to replace them with a '64-'65 Strat...

buddaman71 likes this.
  4. Calebz

Calebz Member

I'll always have a list of stuff I want to try. Or stuff I want to revisit from my younger days. I can hit any stage or studio with what I have and be stress free about my gear and my sound.

But I still want a couple more handmade customs. And there's at least a million pedals I haven't tried. Maybe even an amp or two.

I don't need an excuse. I want them. I've worked my ass off in other parts of my life so I can afford them without negativity impacting my family/retirement/etc.

I also rarely sell gear.

My wife has recently started shopping for a bigger house.

5. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

You know, I am thinking this is, in reality, pretty much the mindset behind every guitar ever sold.

I bet every time a guy shows his receipt to the door dude at Sam Ash on his way out the door, he is thinking "yeah, I really did need this, because.......".
    And I think the same thing applied to the 15 year old walking out of Sears or some department store beside his dad carrying a Silvertone, Harmony, or Tiesco Del Ray 60 years ago.
    "Yeah, this really was necessary".
    And I think maybe there is some psychology to it that deep down inside we view it as a matter of survival.

"This is essential to my continued existence".

6. Gclef

Gclef Member

That is way too deep. I am opting for the more superficial "I like it" tack.

My time on this earth is limited. What is another $500 guitar in the scheme of a 30 year span?
    20 bucks a year?

I'm worth it.

Now.....off to check out reverb.....

buddaman71 likes this.
  7. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

*ahem* "this is essential to my survival" * cough*................

8raw likes this.
  8. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

There is always the newest shiny thing out there.
    Sometimes I just sit back and give thanks for what I have instead of what I don’t have and leave it at that. There are always things I want but a need for them is a whole other story. I don’t need anything else.

9. 8raw

8raw Member

I'm pretty set, except for an electric acoustic, a Gretsch, any Carr amp and the pedalboard Johnny A uses that plays his riffs backwards when he does Strawberry Fields.

10. Gclef

Gclef Member

Ahem.......we are lost in semantics, me thinks......ahem
    :beer

11. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I prefer to think of it is "comfortably situated".

12. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

I have enough guitars, amps, and pedals to outfit several guitarists with gear to spare. Only guitars I've picked up in the past couple years were stupid deals that could not be passed up, even though I didn't need them at all, like a The Paul for 180 bucks. Any time I'm gassing for new gear nowadays I take a deep breath and head to the jam room to go get to know better the gear I already have. The impulse fades quickly

13. Non-Musical Hack

Non-Musical Hack Member

Buying and selling does not keep you busy musically. Practice does.

I spent years buying guitars and amps to get the sounds I wanted to record without learning to play them well.

I've spent the last year doing a lot of playing/learning and not buying anymore. Everything I own sounds better now.

I do not mean to come off as harsh. I'm sure you can play circles around me. But when I read the sentence "So I stay busy musically buying and selling" I understood where you were coming from but had to disagree.

14. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

@Non-Musical Hack

I practice all the time. I have been playing for almost 40 years and gigged regularly thought the late 80's and 90's. I still play weekly at Church. And I still see incremental improvements in my playing as a result of continued practice, which is cool. Never stop learning.

But I get what you are saying. Buying and selling may not be "real" musical activity, but it is directly related to my passion for music and it is a fun hobby for me. I love trying new things. But it does get tiring pursuing the next big thing, which we all know will not really satisfy, and then later starting the search all over for the next next big thing.

Non-Musical Hack likes this.
  15. Non-Musical Hack

Non-Musical Hack Member

@ethomas1013

I think we agree.

Playing weekly after gigging for two decades sounds pretty sweet. I admire that you still see incremental improvements but I can't imagine noticing them after playing out regularly for so many years.

I am learning that guitar playing is like jiu jitsu. The more you learn the more you realize you don't know.