• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Do you find it reasonable to have multiples of the same type of pedal...

as a backup?...My ears are super finicky, so I like to have a back up of the same type of pedal, but a slightly version different. For instance, I have 3 fuzz faces. Although, 2 of them are Ge and 1 is an Si fuzz, I have them set to sound relativity the same. They all have slightly different nuances that I like better than the other from day to day...

Im really just trying to justify the fact that I have bought two vibe pedals, and am on the list for another planned vibe. Not only that, but I plan on getting a drop-in wah kit AND another pretty damn expensive wah.

NewDr.P

reasonable? no. its totally irrational but who cares? do whatever you want. if your wife needs 10 pairs of basically the same shoes to feel pretty whats wrong with that? if you need multiple versions of the same effect to feel pretty thats fine too.

slap_back05

Not really, unless a crucial piece of equipment you couldn't do without (I have a backup Tele that almost never gets played and AC15c1 in case my UK ever craps out). Unless everything else breaks all at once I can get by with any other single piece of gear going down for a little bit.

But if you have the cash, by all means grab a couple backups for everything.

NewDr.P

i dont know if you perform, etc but i think its funny when people buy 'backups' to play at home.

to be honest i dont play out at all anymore and i have 2 decent guitars and 2 decent amps. you know- in case im playing a high stakes impromptu show for my cats and i break a string or a tube goes. the show must go on! meow!

Jason_77

I would buy a backup if it was from an independent builder where it's reasonable to assume it may not be produced at some point. I also don't think it's unreasonable in general, though.

meterman

reasonable? You've come to the wrong place :D

to be honest stuff like wah and vibe, no b/c I use them so rarely. Other stuff like fuzzes and ODs I like to have a few similar pedals that I swap between for the different nuances like you say. I have a small board w/ basically dirt and delay and a bigger board w/ filter, vibe, flanger etc. The only pedal I've ever actually duplicated is the Tim + Timmy, although I'm about to get a second Soul Food for my small board.

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
FWIW, I've got a JHS Bad Monkey and a Keeley TS9DX right next to each other. Almost the same? Yes. Just enough different to justify both? Yes again.

MoonshineMan

As long as you're not spending my money to do it with, you can do anything you want.
Personally, I play out or with my friends and don't bring any backups, as far as pedals go. I could (and have) plugged straight in and was fine. I have one of each kind that I like and my board is full.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I have a backup Bearfoot 4 knob HBOD that cost me half of what my number 1 3 knob BJFE HBOD cost me. So I guess I agree with you. They are on separate boards and have different artwork and the cheaper one actually covers a lot more ground withy the additional treble control.

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Gold Supporting Member
I have a backup Bearfoot 4 knob HBOD that cost me half of what my number 1 3 knob BJFE HBOD cost me. So I guess I agree with you. They are on separate boards and have different artwork and the cheaper one actually covers a lot more ground withy the additional treble control.
I tend to invest in new and different. Strangely (to me), the only exact dupe on both boards is a Keeley Compressor. I have so many dirt boxes that all sound great that if one were to die I'd still have so many that sound great...

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I tend to invest in new and different. Strangely (to me), the only exact dupe on both boards is a Keeley Compressor. I have so many dirt boxes that all sound great that if one were to die I'd still have so many that sound great...
I've owned tons that sound great, but nothing feels or responds to my touch the way a Honey Bee OD does.

JacksonCarter

I have a main board, a B board, a tiny rehearsal/fly board, and a monstrous rack that is really just a science experiment. All of them have a comp, TS style, trans OD, and at least one multi unit for mods/delays/verbs. There are a few duplicates in the mix, but I try to use different variations if I can find ones that I like equally as well.

phazersonstun

I have owned dupes of some pedals.
I gig & do session work regularly but I haven't bought doubles specifically to have back ups.
I've owned a pair of DL4s, OD-3s, DE-7s, MXR SBAD, Marshall Shredmaster, TS-9s & some others. Mostly I liked the pedals enough to use 2 @ different settings on the same board or to have the most used pedals duplicated for a smaller board.

VHS analog

A TS9 used for distortion and a TS9 used as a clean boost, functionally those are two completely different pedals.

BTW, I used to own a dozen wah pedals, and still lusted after more.
Owning multiples of something allows you the luxury of picking your personal favorite, yes even among duplicates there are differences.

fargonoF

Music (and musicianship) isn't rational, it is governed by emotion and not reason. Some people like practical rigs, some of us still carry our halfstacks and our PT-pros to every gig regardless of how heavy and impractical they are or how much money they cost. No one is right, no one can be right. Hell, I have a massive pedalboard partially just because of how aesthetically relevant it is to me visually.

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
reasonable? no. its totally irrational but who cares? do whatever you want. if your wife needs 10 pairs of basically the same shoes to feel pretty whats wrong with that? if you need multiple versions of the same effect to feel pretty thats fine too.
:agree What he said. Plus if you play out a lot that can help with the justification.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom