Do you find you're naturally much better at one thing on guitar than another?

BlackmoreNight

If I try to play with a pick in any sort of lead guitar style I struggle horribly at it. But when it comes to fingerpicking I've find it easy, even from the beginning. While I have trouble with a relatively simple rock solo, I find playing Bach significantly more comfortable.

Anyone else inexplicably good at one thing and bad at another?

cvansickle

Silver Supporting Member
I've been told I'm a very good rhythm player. I think I'm a fairly mediocre lead player.

scottywompas

I find that playing poorly and out of tune just comes so easy. The playing in tune and tastefully is a struggle. :dude

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Silver Supporting Member
I'm naturally better at the things I've made an effort to learn to do.

Average Joe

I'm naturally better at the things I've made an effort to learn to do.
This. Yes it appears that something comes to me more naturally than others but that's only because i've focused on those things when practicing. Case in point: I've always been a flatpicker exclusively and so I'm far better at it than at fingerpicking. However, in the last year I've fingerpicked more than in the previous 20 years combined and there's been a marked improvement.

As players, we are what we do.

Why yes. Unfortunately, I'm crap when it comes to most kinds of chordal work, and that's no fun. Especially not when your first guitar idol was Jimi Hendrix, and you have no idea how to play any of his songs... :facepalm

TheBull

I'm naturally more of rythmn player myself. I can do lead, but rythmn feels more at home for me. I can't do tapping at all though :(

MORE BARN

Slide, by far, then fingerstyle. I never played with others, just played by myself for 10 years. I had an index finger issue which prevented me from playing barre chords, lead guitar, etc. Not learning the "proper" way I suppose.

But I always wanted to play in a band, so I came up with a sort of "slide rhythm", fingerstlye bits, and it works for me. I do that and slide leads, the other player in the band plays all the lead guitar because I can't play very well with straight lead guitar if it's not slide. It was that way in the last band I played in, as well as the current one. But it's a contrast and it somehow all works.

Like someone said, if you have a dog barking in a band, you don't need another barking dog...

Jonny D

For me, my picking hand can pick up timing and rhythm and speed and such almost immediately, but my fretting hand needs lots of repetitions of something starting slow to be able to play it clean.

Also with strumming on acoustic. I can get any strumming pattern immediately, but for some reason acoustic fingerpicking and I do not get along well.

guitguy28

Anything on guitar that I've REALLY wanted to learn, I've put the time, thought and effort into mastering.

For example, stuff that was particularly difficult and awkward for me were:

-Hendrix/Mayfield style rhythm playing.
-vibrato on a bent note.
-speed picking.

But I mastered all those things, because I really wanted to be able to do them. Sometimes, it just takes a lot of patient practice (the Hendrix/Mayfield style rhythm), other times, it takes a thorough examination of technique (speed picking), and for other times it takes an examination of technique as well as your guitar's setup (bend vibrato).

KJP1990

I tend to play a better lead then rhythm, put years of time into scales and formations and I am now making up that time with fingering chords. I don't really want to learn to do sweep picking or all of the shredding stuff (tapping etc.)

UncleLarry

Far better at lead playing. I've gotten really good at sitting in with a band cold and being able to comp and play fills behind a solid rhythm section. I'm not the fastest shredder, but I make up for it by keeping my lines melodic.

kevinhifi

Bending to pitch for me. I've been blessed with a sharp ear and consequently use bending (and more recently whammy bending ti pitch) a lot in my playing.

Dave Wakely

No matter how I try - and I've tried, believe me - I cannot play listenable slide. Beyond that I'm with the 'put your back into learning and it becomes natural' argument.

But I also have the same problem with making pastry or playing piano. Ho hum.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I'm pretty good at the Townsend like flamingo strumming and note for note picking. I'm not real good at really fast pull offs or hammerons, tapping, sweep picking and all the tricks that make you sound really fast. :tapedshut

I can seem to separate my playing from my singing and focus 100 on my singing which is a good thing. After 30+ years, you would sure hope so :waiting

Fast strumming with my wrist floating free. I practiced alternate picking and economy of wrist motion for so long that a song like "All My Loving" took some getting used to. It humbled me.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Always had trouble fingerpicking. It's slowly sinking in, and I do mean slowly. Other stuff, much easier. Such as playing leads, playing slide. Rhythm came along too, thank god, though it was frustrating at first.
MD