Do you follow trends ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by silot, May 6, 2015.

1. silot

silot Member

Did you get a Baja when everyone was talking about it ? Or a Classic Vibe ? Did you order a Zendrive or an Eternity when your buddies ordered them too ? How about the Mustang amp or these hot new p/ups ?

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I do NOT. I got a Floyd-equipped guitar in the 90s which I divested myself of shortly after. That was it.

I pick gear because it does what I need. I pick guitars because they inspire me.

And pedals? Never. Never owned a Strymon or Klon or the delay du jour...

3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I buy stuff that fits my needs and that's it. Otherwise I'm building my own guitars : )

4. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

5. straycat113

straycat113 Member

No! I watched the gear the guys used who were my favorite players as a kid and took it from there. I honestly never heard the term 'Boutique' used when it came to gear till I was in my late forties and first heard it on this very forum.

6. Be.eM

Be.eM Member

Makes one wonder how a trend becomes a trend if nobody follows it :D

7. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Not wittingly, but perhaps. Did the last 5-10 years upsurge in the popularity of teles eventually influence my decision to try them out, leading me to buy it? Or was that an autonomous decision on my part?

It also depend which trend and what segment of the market we're talking about. I'm pretty sure I'm not the least bit influenced by any trends in metal. I have no idea what they play in the mainstream. But a couple of my mates just got very nice parlor sized acoustics. Does that qualify as an extremely localized trend?

8. sleewell

sleewell Member

i think i used to but don't any more.

9. bismark

bismark Member

Maybe they do follow it. It's just that nobody cares to admit it. ;)

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

11. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

I've only been on this site for about 6 months and I've already seen a couple big trends come and go. Cracks me up how fast these things can move through. Although I can't claim to be immune to them. They get me very interested.

12. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Lol. I was jugs going to say this thread will be filled with Nay answers but somebody has to be following them.

I won't say I follow trends, but something that is "charting" may peak my interest and I'll try it. Usually pedals as the cost to try them is less than say a guitar or amp. For those I "usually" could care less what the trend is and play what I like. But even then, the Tweed fervor that really started getting traction about 10 years ago made me consider amps that before I never even gave a second thought too. I now have gone through about 7 of them, still owning 3.

So maybe. Maybe not. Depends....

13. Serenity

Serenity Member

I'm not rich enough to follow trends.

14. monty

monty Member

Same here.

15. JKjr

JKjr Member

If I'm looking for a particular thing I'll check the buzz, but I trust my ears for better or worse. I know what I like, and it's very rarely the latest and greatest thing.

16. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

Came here to say the same...

17. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

Let's see, since no one else is being honest, I will be.

I tend to read about things that are getting a lot of buzz. I have bought a caveman, a zendrive, lightspeed, and a simble based off of TGP talk. Since pedals are the easiest to sell and flip, I do try and see if someone has re-invented the wheel. No one has. Still... I look.

18. Serenity

Serenity Member

I was being honest. I'm really not rich enough to follow trends. That being said, if i was rich enough i'd definitely go for the EVH 5153 trend, preferably the Stealth. :)

19. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Silver Supporting Member

I follow them, yes. Usually doesn't end with me buying the piece of gear in question, but sometimes it does. I follow the buzz, watch all the demos, read all the reviews and watch the prices bounce around. It's fun and interesting. Gear is intersting. If I had lots of disposable income I'd be a gear flipper for sure. As it is, I have a little, but not a lot, so I follow but only participate within my needs and resources.

20. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Yes but not on TGP. I find that the predominant P&W and blues crowd has far different views on gear than my own. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I generally don't put any value into opinions expressed on here when it comes to gear.