• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Do you get matching instruments? On purpose or accidentally

bard2dbone

Hey guys -

So I really noticed this when I got my most recent bass. I have only once purposefully bought a matched pair of instruments. My first tax return after I got out of the navy, I went into my local store, planning to get a MIA Strat. After playing every Fender product in the store, I left with both a MIJ Standard Strat, and an MIJ Standard fretless Jazz bass. Both in white with white pickguards and rosewood fingerboards. And they even matched later. When I put the black pearl pickguard with the Lace Sensor Red-Silver-Blue set on the Strat, I also put a black pearly guard with EMG's on the fretless. Time passed. The Strat now wears a tort guard with DiMarzio Areas in it. That bass was turned into TWO basses. The white body has a Geddy Lee Signature Jazz neck on it. And its neck went onto a sunburst body.

Basically I only thought about having one matched pair, because they hung on the wall next to each other and are both red. THEN I bought my newest bass, and hung it on the wall...and noticed it kind of matched its neighbor. And the white ones kind of match. And the natural ones kind of match. And both my fretlesses are sunburst...and crap. Why am I like this?

https://imgur.com/gallery/3EvQlMx Sterling Ray34 - the Sting Ray that I could afford
My Tele kind of matches the new Ray
Actually I'm noticing I have a FEW matching sets
This Jazz was bought with that white Strat. Back then they both had rosewood fingerboards and white 'guards.
This is where that rosewood neck went. And hey! They match, too.
And Dorothy and Ruby kind of match.

If the pic links work. It's acting up for me right now.

Last edited:

jblake

Gold Supporting Member
The bassist in my first band bought a black Jazz Bass to match my black Strat. At first I thought it was really cool, as it reminded me of old surf bands that had matching instruments, but that whole aesthetic was out of style in the 90s so we covered them in stickers.

bard2dbone

I like the way wood looks, so my tastes run towards natural finishes and sunbursts. But I never intentionally set out to buy a guitar that matches another.
I'm literally seeing both sides on this. I backed in to having several matched, or near-matched pairs. But except for the 'two Fenders for the price of one' day, I've never bought an instrument specifically planning for it to match another.

Having said that, I noticed this morning I had two butterscotch blondes, two naturals, two whites, two reds, two sunbursts, one brown, one surf green, one gold top, and one I don't have a term to describe.

I suppose my two Taylor acoustics would also kind of count this way. They're both a natural spruce top on some kind of natural mahogany back and sides.

OM Flyer

I've never bought an instrument specifically planning for it to match another.

Having said that, I noticed this morning I had two butterscotch blondes, two naturals, two whites, two reds, two sunbursts, one brown, one surf green, one gold top, and one I don't have a term to describe.
I guess when you have 14 guitars, you're bound to have some duplicate finishes! :aok

( . )( . )

I go in cycles where I like particular colors for a while. A few years ago, it was natural flames, then on to different shades of blues, then reds. Now I’m into blacks and whites. The goal, I suppose it to narrow it down to one keeper of each color. I actually managed to sell a guitar this year, bringing my total down to 23, but I just bought one that’s being shipped currently...NGD coming soon.

Dashface

I just buy whatever I think will look cool on stage :)

I don’t really like sun bursts so it’s other fun stuff usually.

Because of my Floyd act, mind you, I tour with a lot of black guitars (we tour with five black strats, a black p bass, and a black j bass that all belong to me) so I’d have to say that sways my total numbers toward black a little...

OnkelC

yup, it‘s either red, white or black, alernatively a sunburst, for me. only aberration so far is a Tele in Butterscotch Blonde, because Tele.
Edit: there are several shades of white.
Edit 2: I am kind of tempted by a surf green one, but lack courage.

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
You mean, like, "his and hers"?

In all seriousness, you could be onto something - interesting ploy for music stores to shift two guitars instead of one!

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I have a thing about not really liking to have one of something, I prefer pairs or trios. My terminology of what constitutes a pair/trio is a bit complex - could be the same model in slightly different incarnations, could be two different models in the same slightly unusual colour, should be a standard model and a deluxe version. Often a guitar I own can fit into multiple pairs or trios, so I have very few solo guitars but lots of oddballs I can pull out and put alongside something else and relax.

I'm an odd person, now I think about it.

An insight into the madness...

Trio of Gibson 330s (the Crest gets a 330 membership card)

Pair of 70s guitars in unpopular colours:

Pair of ES355s in 60s and 70s incarnations with an overlap in the previous pair:

Pair of cherry sunburst thinlines:

Last edited:

guitararmy

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
Back in the day I had a Hamer Sunburst when another one came up for sale that looked identical. Turned out the S/N was one more than the one I owned and the top must have been the next "slice" of the maple log. I was entirely enamored with the S/N coincidence though and was saved from spending money only because the one for sale had a notorious reputation after having had some hack work done on it.

I haven't done it yet but I would like to get a 330 or Riviera with a bigsby to match the ones I already have . Just don't want to do slap a bigsby on the ones I have for fear of making em play different in case I don't like it .

I don't want a jetglow ric guitar to match my bass but a fireglow bass would be kewl....also a Epiphone Rivoli

Trending Topics