Do you go on safari or....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wahfreak, Jun 2, 2015.

1. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

or go on a safari?

Do you go to university or go to a university?

i'm not sure I'll ever get it right. :sarcasm

2. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Uniformed opinion - american english speakers use the 'a' though both are probably technically ok.

3. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I think the English assign a verb-like quality to some nouns (I'm sure there's a proper grammatical explanation). Like "hospital" isn't just a building, but actually receiving medical care. And "holiday" describes the act of vacationing, as well as a period away from work. Hard to describe, but I think it's kinda cool.

4. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

The British omit the "a". Americans (and about everyone else) does not.

5. mge80

mge80 Member

One particular English reporter, covering the hijacking of TWA 847 in 1985 used the term "tarmac" and, evidently it sounded so cool that the rest of the Western media, in an attempt to keep up with that cool, kept misusing it. It actually is a trade name for a type of paving material, tarmacadam or tar-penetration macadam. It's not very common and certainly hasn't been used on airport surfaces in decades. Many decades. However, for some reason, once the media latched on to it and started incorrectly using it, it has come to mean pretty much any surface on any airport.

I guess the fact that it must sound cool to say overrides the out and out incorrect use of the word.

Maybe, if you sit on the tarmac long enough, on your way home from university, you'll wind up in hospital.

Tom CT likes this.