Do you guys gig your boutique amps?

Goldie Glocks

I've always wondered what the consensus is on this. On the one hand, why have boutique amps if not to play them loud? On the other, spilled beer and generally people being drunk and/or disorderly.

I've always been of the mind that it depends on the venue (if I'm familiar with it).

I'm playing in a punk rock band now and will probably just bring the old Peavey given the environment.

dumeril7

Mostly, yes. Agree that the venue matters though. A long time ago, my band at the time used to play a bar that was pretty notorious for drunks, fights, and a layer of cigarette ash that covered everything and made your gear reek. I used my least spendy amp for that one. But most times, since I'm handling my own load-in/load-out, I'm comfortable with any risk.

JimmyBrungus

Hell yeah. I've seen more vintage fender and marshall swipes than boutiques, ime. Plus, lazy thieves tend to go for guitars and pedals. Keep an eye on your band van, and use the biggest iron possible to weigh potential amp runners (as well as your/roadie's back) down.

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
Gig my amps?! Are you kidding?

Boutique, yes. That’s the entire reason I have them, because they hold up to gigging (arguably) better than consumer grade mass produced amps.

I also gig my vintage amps in pretty much anything. Like this outdoor gig we played in February where I used my 1965 Deluxe.

zTngg1n.jpg

Jecht

Depends entirely on the venue. No way I'm taking my nice gear to the so called "venues" in my area which are really just dive bars with crappy PAs.

tech21nyc

Over the years I have gigged with Boogie, Rivera, Guytron, Top Hat and Fryette amps. Part of my rational for more expensive amps is the build quality and reliability aspect. I've played professionally for years and have equipment insurance. Worrying about a $3000 amp or guitar while your car sits unattended in a parking lot seems silly to me. Vintage gear that is not easily replaced or something that has sentimental value I might think twice about...

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
Of course. It's all I own.

Duo gigs are the Swart STR Tremelo.

Low Volume band gigs are the Gries 12. (nobody knows what it is, which is fine).

Larger band gigs are Matchless or my old Jamison combo. No one knows anything about the Jamison, and it has no markings on it at all. It sounds like a cross between a Vox, Matchless and Trainwreck. Gorgeous cleans with reverb and tremelo to crazy "about to explode" levels of output tube saturation. Cleans up with the guitar volume like you would not believe. Super punchy and loud if needed.

tymish

I sure do, i don't buy gear as an investment. Been gigging my '65 blackface for 35+ years. My Reinhardt 18 head is my other favorite. The Komet Connie.. doesn't get out much LOL. Too loud for most gigs and I do kinda worry about that one. Bogner Shiva I used to gig a lot. But it's heavy and loud and doesn't fit what i'm doing these days.

Totally depends on venue. Nicer rooms with a stage or other separation from potential tippy drinkers, for sure. Dive bar with stage on floor and tight quarters with drunken audience in close proximity, not so much. Same goes for guitars. I select guitars according to the suitability of the gig. Come to think of it, same goes for pedalboards. I have ones for different purposes/venues.

ripgtr

I also gig my vintage amps in pretty much anything. Like this outdoor gig we played in February where I used my 1965 Deluxe.
I'm taking my '66 pro reverb tomorrow. I was going to take the Bella, but just swapped some speakers into the pro, played it loud today when the wife was out shopping, yea. outside gig, country, taking the tele.
I have a blues gig in a couple weeks I'll take the pro and the '60 strat. That is inside.

if I couldn't gig it, i'd have zero use for it.

j_el_jee

Is a Bogner Helios in this category? It goes to the tiny stinky sweaty punk bars with me. Sounds glorious there as well.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom