Do you guys gig your boutique amps?

DGDGBD

Silver Supporting Member
I dont have any boutique amps, unless you count the two amps I built from scratch over 20 years ago. I have gigged them regularly.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
I sure do, i don't buy gear as an investment. Been gigging my '65 blackface for 35+ years. My Reinhardt 18 head is my other favorite. The Komet Connie.. doesn't get out much LOL. Too loud for most gigs and I do kinda worry about that one. Bogner Shiva I used to gig a lot. But it's heavy and loud and doesn't fit what i'm doing these days.
I owned one of the first Constellations. Number 6. Loved the tone! It was too loud and we don’t play quietly. Tried attenuation and hated it. Sold the amp shortly after that.

12 notes and time

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Allen Accomplice which doesn't really feel boutique to me, but maybe that's just because I got it used for a good price. Still, I gig it regularly. I can't remember a situation where drunken members of the crowd were within 15 feet of the band's gear, which is almost always up on a stage, even if it's a small one.

NatGardner

We get paid well in Disney playing the exact same set 5 times a day for families and kids outdoors who eat fish and chips have a blast. I could use my best stuff or my crap gear and no one will notice, nor will our pay increase. I use a Katana and my 75 Penco Les Paul.

SexHaver420

I've only gigged my Matamps besides once when I played an Ampeg V4b reissue (the V4s are really good). My friend was borrowing one of the Matamps I had at the time and my other was in the shop.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure what qualifies as boutique,
I own a Suhr SL67, Germino, and two Ceriatone heads. Normally play them through a 212 or 412. Never a concern.

There are a few places I have played where I won’t take certain guitars.

Donn Rowe

always! I also use a pair of Fender Pro Jrs in Mojotone one twelve black tweed combo cabs cause of their lite weight LOL I play in a blues jam host band on Sunday eves and I bring out an SLO, Morgan, or Komet, etc. There are some good young players that enjoy getting a chance to play through them. I also brought out my Klon before I got rid of it, they loved that ! I always play my stuff! When I was a young struggling guitar player I didn't have options, so now that I'm old you better believe I'm hacking away on the good stuff

Mr. Fret

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Allen Accomplice which doesn't really feel boutique to me, but maybe that's just because I got it used for a good price. Still, I gig it regularly. I can't remember a situation where drunken members of the crowd were within 15 feet of the band's gear, which is almost always up on a stage, even if it's a small one.
Wish we were that lucky. Our following was pretty rowdy. Had to clean beer out of my pedal board more than once.

x24gtrman

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I bought them to play them and utilize their design in my sonic explorations. They were built to be played through.

saleake

Silver Supporting Member
To be honest about it, I leave them at home and take a Tone Master Deluxe or Twin. In fact, they are for sale.

'63-Strat

Does mesa count as boutique anymore? I got both of my mine for really cheap used, but even my bogner I've gigged for like 20 years and played all kinds of dives with it as well as nice venues. I agree strongly that in a situation where you're on the floor it's your pedalboard that's far more likely to get beer spilled on it than your amp.

mwhy

Silver Supporting Member
Of course I gig with my boutique amps -- why wouldn't I?! [Yep, and my boutique guitars, but that's another forum thread!]

Trending Topics

Top Bottom